Thread: Question about FFL

Post imported post

I looked up a little bit about FFLs. From what I can see, if you get a "collectors" FFL, you can ship and have guns shipped to you?

State Researcher

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    I looked up a little bit about FFLs. From what I can see, if you get a "collectors" FFL, you can ship and have guns shipped to you?
    If you get an 03 Curio and Relics FFL you can have guns that are CURIO AND RELICS (generally any gun 50 years old and older, as well as most milsurps in their original configuration) shipped to you from dealers and other collectors.

Post imported post

Military surplus? Even modern ones?
    And is that just US surplus, or can I go to the Israelis and Russians?

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    Military surplus? Even modern ones?
    And is that just US surplus, or can I go to the Israelis and Russians?
    Yes. No.
    Anyone.

That's the quick and dirty answers to your questions. That said, the BATFE has a long list of "approved" Collectible & Relic firearms that you may purchase. These must be 50 years or older and be in their original configuration, per the ATF site: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

Any firearm, even not on the list that qualifies, as mentioned on that site, is eligible.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Just remember that just having such a license means that the ATF can inspect your home any time they like (with some limits).

That alone is reason not to have one!

Post imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    Just remember that just having such a license means that the ATF can inspect your home any time they like (with some limits).

That alone is reason not to have one!
    I believe it's "not more than once a year" without a good reason, but I agree that that's a good reason not to have one.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

The word I got is they can inspect once per year, but seldom do. Usually they only "inspect" during the renewal interview. My inspection for my initial interview was very cursory and was mostly to inform me of the vast number of laws concerning FFLs.

Post imported post

The word I got is they can inspect once per year, but seldom do. Usually they only "inspect" during the renewal interview. My inspection for my initial interview was very cursory and was mostly to inform me of the vast number of laws concerning FFLs.
    What kind do you have? And what was the whole process?

I ordered the information thing from the ATF site, mostly for informational purposes, at least for now, but other than what I found on Wiki I am completely ignorant about it. (I just got my first gun a few months ago.)

Post imported post

I have a class 07 Manufacturers license. I first had to get a master business license, then a city business license. Then I filled out the form from the ATF (in quadruplicate) but I made the mistake of actually thinking the Chief LEO had to sign it and got it lost at the Seattle police HQ. So I ordered another form filled it out (in quadruplicate) and just sent a copy to the chief LEO and the rest to the Feds. After a couple months I got a call from the ATF to set up an appointment for my interview and inspection. After another month or so I got the inspection. There were several other forms that got filled out then. Another month or so and I got my license. Then I had to go to the Seattle police HQ and fill out the form for a dealers license for WA. Got that a few days later. Total process started in March and I was ready to do business in September. Of course before that was a gunsmith course I took from AGI that took me several months to complete.

Post imported post

class 07 Manufacturers license
    Is that what anyone needs to be a gunsmith, or does it vary depending on what kind of work you plan to do?

Post imported post

Anyone here have a C+R?

Post imported post

cynicist, read these articles: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...fl03/index.asp

Some may be a bit out of date with specifics on forms, but overall the information is golden.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA