• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New residents can't buy for 90 days?

Brandnew

imported post

So I've called around to a few FFL dealers and each one of them has told me the same thing. None of them will sell to a resident who has been here for less than 90 days. I've got my WA drivers license (33 days ago), my car is registered here, I live day to day here, have all my bills here, I work here, and have my private health insurance here.

I thought I found the RCW code that they were talking about, but everybody tells me that I'm interpreting it incorrectly and this is not it:

9.41.090, Dealer deliveries regulated — Hold on delivery

(1) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a pistol to the purchaser thereof until:

(c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section, and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.090

I had thought that this law says that I need to BOTH have a washington licence/id AND have been here for 90 consecutive days, but everybody else seems to think that it says that if I have my license OR have been here for more than 90 days I should be able to buy.

Nevertheless every FFL says that I, in my current situation, must be here 57 more days before they will sell to me.

Can anybody clarify?

Tawnos

imported post

Who the heck have you been talking to? with a driver's license it should only be 5 days. Get a CPL and it's instant...

Brandnew

imported post

I talked to two different people at Wade's Guns in Bellevue, two people at the Seattle Police Range's shop and one person at another FFL shop.

All of them have said that even with a WA drivers license, I have to wait until I've had that license for 90 days before they will sell to me.

And I applied for my CPL already over at the King County Sheriff's Office and they said that because I had been a resident for less than 90 days, they would send it to me 60 days after my application date.

Somebody here must know what's up with this. Anybody?

Tawnos

imported post

Brandnew wrote:
I talked to two different people at Wade's Guns in Bellevue, two people at the Seattle Police Range's shop and one person at another FFL shop.

All of them have said that even with a WA drivers license, I have to wait until I've had that license for 90 days before they will sell to me.

And I applied for my CPL already over at the King County Sheriff's Office and they said that because I had been a resident for less than 90 days, they would send it to me 60 days after my application date.

Somebody here must know what's up with this. Anybody?
Well, stay away from Wade's is what I've been told. I applied for an out of state CPL because I had just moved here and didn't have a WA driver's license. I got my WA driver's license a few days later, and my CPL came in within a week (well under the extended timeframe). This was in Bellevue.

Have you checked out West Coast Armory in Issaquah?

sirpuma

imported post

It may be a federal requirement that you be a state resident for 90 days prior to purchasing firearms. I'll look at my big book of dealer laws and see what's in there.

Trigger Dr

imported post

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

[/b](1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

On the state form for purchasing afireare, there is a question "How long have you been a resident of this state?" If you want to perjure your self by lying...be man enough o take the punishment.

Cougar125

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Nope. Don't know what is up with it, because it is not any statuatory prohibition. Go to Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor, if you can get there. Scott will take care of you there.
Scotty is good people. Reminds me...gotta go see him.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Dang, and to think Island County Sheriff's office complained because I called them on day 29 to ask the status of my permit and she promptly informed me that I was calling 1 day early.
The law allows UP TO 30 days. It does not require a 30 day wait, something that some agencies strangely misunderstand, or willingly ignore. In my case the permit was pre dated to 30 days after application, and I couldn't find anyone who knew what I was talking about when I referenced "up to 30 days..." Oh well.

badger54

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
Well, stay away from Wade's is what I've been told. I applied for an out of state CPL because I had just moved here and didn't have a WA driver's license. I got my WA driver's license a few days later, and my CPL came in within a week (well under the extended timeframe). This was in Bellevue.

Have you checked out West Coast Armory in Issaquah?
Dang, and to think Island County Sheriff's office complained because I called them on day 29 to ask the status of my permit and she promptly informed me that I was calling 1 day early.
OHPD got my CPL in 7 days and that was after being in another country for 10 years and using my passport for ID.

dlnwoody

imported post

Brandnew. Didn't you say your were active duty. If you are just take a copy of your orders and wait what ever time frame the have for residents. If you took a copy your orders to get your CPL you would have it less than a week.

Brandnew

imported post

No, I'm not active duty. I wanted to sell a pistol of mine to a person who was military active duty and I wanted to make sure that we weren't breaking the law.

Cougar125

imported post

Was it the S&W you sold a buddy of mine? If it is, its a good looking pistol. No worries...He is on permanent orders to FRC NW and he works for me. You broke no laws.