• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego PD Training Bulletin, 2008-12-18

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AlanR wrote:
I haven't seen this posted here yet, so in case anyone missed it:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=145786

Overall looks pretty good to me, it covers more of the relevant code than other depts' memos, though it continues the "us vs. them" theme and seems to have a more adversarial tone than some of the previous ones.
Except they still don't get the rural open loaded carry thing in vehicles re People v. Knight.

Decoligny

imported post

Mike wrote:
AlanR wrote:
I haven't seen this posted here yet, so in case anyone missed it:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=145786

Overall looks pretty good to me, it covers more of the relevant code than other depts' memos, though it continues the "us vs. them" theme and seems to have a more adversarial tone than some of the previous ones.
Except they still don't get the rural open loaded carry thing in vehicles re People v. Knight.

Well, since it was a training memo for San Diego Police Department, and their jurisdiction is within the city limits of San Diego, I think they were addressing what is and isn't legal within that jurisdiction.

It sucks that they don't address the complete range of the law in regards to OC, cuase whatever the SDPD cops learn there they will take with them wherever they are assigned. If that happens to be a County Sheriff Dept, they will be operating with bad info.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Seems to be well researched and well written. Too bad the author is still conveying our cause as anti-cop - like we want to have our rights violated...

It makes me happy every time I see another one of these memos surface. Imagine how many are out there that we haven't seen! My friends, this is progress for our cause.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The really truly telling part to me is that they are almost ALL from metro areas that are known to be anti.

How many other PD's in smaller places already knew this?

I also argue that we need to not only train the cops, but see to it the dispatch knows to ask the right questions on MWG calls. They are out first opportunity to educate someone.

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Seems to be well researched and well written. Too bad the author is still conveying our cause as anti-cop - like we want to have our rights violated...

It makes me happy every time I see another one of these memos surface. Imagine how many are out there that we haven't seen! My friends, this is progress for our cause.