• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lit torches thrown at police station, car

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Besides not liking the cops , was there any thing that sparked this riot. I'm just glad noone was shot or killed. I think some tough times might be coming up.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Besides not liking the cops , was there any thing that sparked this riot. I'm just glad noone was shot or killed. I think some tough times might be coming up.
No, nothing specific. The problem with Olympia is there are a bunch of fringe groups that fancy themselves something special. Every now and then they have to get together, smash windows, attack cops, etc... to try and institute some sort of social change, protest something on the other side of the world, show solidarity with the latest batch of rioters in Greece or wherever, attack the evils of capitalism, attack "the man" or whatever.

Some people can't get over the fact they missed the 60's.

amlevin

imported post

Olympia is not only the "Seat of Government" for the State of WA but also one of it's more infamous "Alternative Schools", EvergreenState College.

From their website:

"Learning at Evergreen is a creative, interactive pursuit where students and faculty develop the skills and knowledge to tackle complex real-world issues."

Rather than learning skills that will provide them with meangful employment they learn to meddle. It bills itself as a LIBERAL Arts and Sciences institution. Please note ut use of the word "Interactive" in their statement. Olympia appears to be where they do their lab work, protesting, intimidating, and just plain making a pain of themselves.

29er

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Rather than learning skills that will provide them with meangful employment they learn to meddle. 

Damn commies. I hate meddlers. Why, those students are almost as bad as those guys that carry guns on their hips like they are trying to bring back the wild west! Some people just can't get over that they missed the 1860's. At least the students usually don't hurt anyone. Those gun guys though.....they're just scary!:quirky

Preempted response: But....but us open carriers don't throw burning stuff at cop cars. WE don't break the law. We're so much better/we're right.....yada yada

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

See, douches like that cost the taxpayers a LOT of money in extra police services, clean up, insurance costs and other direct and indirect expenses depending on the extent and scope of such destruction of private and personal property. Because of that I think it perfectly acceptable for law abiding citizens to take to the street and beat the snot out of these chronic complainers and protesters every time they start tearing up stuff just to tear up stuff.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

29er wrote:
Damn commies. I hate meddlers. Why, those students are almost as bad as those guys that carry guns on their hips like they are trying to bring back the wild west! Some people just can't get over that they missed the 1860's. At least the students usually don't hurt anyone. Those gun guys though.....they're just scary!:quirky

Preempted response: But....but us open carriers don't throw burning stuff at cop cars. WE don't break the law. We're so much better/we're right.....yada yada
I for one am not tarring all TESC students with this brush, in fact several have shown a lot of interest in OC and assure me there is an active group of students on campus interested in guns and gun rights.

That said Oly does have some interesting social problems, and some of them do stem from the fact that TESC is in our midst, much like Berkley has some ummm interesting social problems that stem from having UC Berkley there.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Civil unrest can be justified but sometimes I fail to see what exactly people are protesting. When we threw Brittish tea into the ocean it was a specific symbolicstatement. They just didn't start destroying random property. I was caught in a riot in Seattle several years ago (not partaking, but literally pretty much trapped there) where young men and police were clashing and the young people set a few of those pigs (statues not real ones)on fire....a symbolic gesture I understood.