• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm 1911 question

rdinatal

imported post

9mm 1911 question

(posted in another forum)

I've been looking around for a 1911 style in 9mm and it needs to be in the following configuration:

Steel frame, no alloy, no AL
Barrel: 3"-4"
Single action only

Single or double stack

While I like Kimber I keep on thinking that it's too nice to carry. Only the full size have steel frames. Plus the price... Is it worth it?

Springfield, I hear mixed reports. Like Kimber, only full size in steel.

Para Lite Hawg 9, nice size, single action and steel frame. I'm leaning towards this but does anyone have one of the Hawg models? Any opinions on this one?

Am I missing any other mfg in that configuration.

I have a XD9SC and while I like it a 1911 style is more "me".

-R

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rdinatal wrote:
...SNIP
Para Lite Hawg 9, nice size, single action and steel frame. I'm leaning towards this but does anyone have one of the Hawg models? Any opinions on this one?

SNIP...

I do not have the 9mm, but I do have a number of Para Ord handguns, and among them is a P10-45 which is in the "Hawg" lineup, only among the first of the breed. I really like having a small package packed with 10 .45 cal rounds. If the need arises this little guy could really adjourn the meeting.

I too prefer the all steel frames if I can get them, but some designs only come in alloy and I do have a number of alloy frames as a result.

Anyway, I like the Hawg, but for me it did have one flaw right out of the box, and that was grip size. I have large hands and the grip was small enough that I could only get a three finger grip on it. The Hawg could use the magazines from some of the larger Para pistols which could provide a handle, but not a very attractive one. Then Para came out with grip extension replacement magazine bottoms. These little jewels largely solved the problem.

The only other issue is finding good leather for the Hawgs. Tucker Leather (see link at the top of this page) made me up a holster that works very well based on a cut down version of a Para holster for a larger model.

I have had good luck withPara Ordinance and their products. Of course everyones mileage may vary.

Have you considered the compact EAA witness lineup? They are not a 1911 design, as they are CZ copies, but they are very good. The Compact Witness carries 12 rounds, all steel frame, single or double action first shot, can be carried cocked and locked, and they have a nice grip for most hand sizes. The EAAs are also less expensive than some other options. Just a thought.

apcci2

imported post

Have you considered the Springfield EMP? It is a little pricey though. I have a couple of SA 1911s and they are very well made and durable. Kimber is also a good brand, well worth the money if you want to spend that much.

Of course, you can't go wrong with Para either.

Gordie

imported post

I have both, an EAA Witness Compact in 9mm, and a Para Carry. While the Carry model is a single stack, it still is an indication of the quality of the products. The Witness is an outstanding gun.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I am 50/50 when I carry with my 9mm and my .45's (but I trust only one 9mm 1911):

2467zt0.jpg

There is an optical illusion going on in this picture. The EMP is much smaller than my full size Springfield, but it is closer to the camera. It is an amazing little pistol, and easily the most accurate 9mm I own (Glock 17, Taurus PT92, EMP...).

architect

imported post

apcci2 wrote:
Have you considered the Springfield EMP?
+1 me too.

It is so pretty that it begs to be OC'd. Shoots like a dream, amazing accuracy for a 3" barrel.

My only tiny issue is that I haven't been able to find a Serpa-type holster that fits it.

smash29

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I am 50/50 when I carry with my 9mm and my .45's (but I trust only one 9mm 1911):

2467zt0.jpg

There is an optical illusion going on in this picture. The EMP is much smaller than my full size Springfield, but it is closer to the camera. It is an amazing little pistol, and easily the most accurate 9mm I own (Glock 17, Taurus PT92, EMP...).
I'm not much of a 1911 fan but I have to say that ILOVE the grips on that full size .45!

rdinatal

imported post

Thanks to all that replied. After much searching I found a Springfield Loaded 1911-A1 model PI9134LP in 9 MM at a shop not too far away. The 5” barrel was longer than what I originally wanted but it’s not for carry. I have a M19 and M85 for that.

I took it to the range this weekend and it’s perfect. Again, thanks for all the input!

BTW: The SA XD9-SC is now on the market! PM me for info if interested!

-R