Thread: I kinda understand now

Post imported post

Im ALL for open carry. I conceal carry now and im not a SMALL man and its difficult to have that gun wedged in your waistband and be big.

With that being said I WANT to open Carry...BUT

I went to a gold buying location. Doors were locked, they let you in by hitting a button. I walked in and the gentleman inside working had his glock strapped to his side. Yes you can open carry on your own propoerty legally in Texas...Anways I was estatic, kinda giggly, excited, thrilled and then all of the sudden I felt kinda intimidated! Talk about a rush of emotions in a matter of seconds.

I left the place and now I can KINDA understandwhat people are referring to about intimidation. BUT, at the same time, I FIRMLY believe that open carry will detere crime and acts of violence. Especially if we have our guns exposed on our sides, like I experienced....

Okay enough ranting.......I SURE hope Texas restores our OPEN CARRY RIGHTS!

Post imported post

With that in mind, I bet the last thing on your mind was swiping anything. Good for the shopkeep

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

So...you were carrying concealed and the shop owner was carrying openly, both legal activities as described. Despite being armed yourself you experienced a wave of trepidation at the sight of an OCed handgun. Sounds like this story can go on the "OC as a deterrent to crime"side of the argument. I'm not suggesting you had any criminal intent...I'm just saying. Thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to OCDO.

I have experienced the flushed feeling you described around some LEOs and my laces are pretty straight. I haven't ever felt it around OC non LEOs. Please don't flame me for this but it's true.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

forever_frost wrote:
    With that in mind, I bet the last thing on your mind was swiping anything. Good for the shopkeep
    +1000. An armed society is a polite society.

Post imported post

I don't frequent any businesses where you have to be buzzed in through the cage (I doubt there even are any closer than Dallas), but I've never been to a Texas gun shop where the owner and most employees weren't OCing. (Not counting corporate stores like Gander Mountain or Academy or Wal-Mart, because they sell guns, but they aren't "gun shops".)

I never gave it a thought, other than resentment and jealousy that the law prohibits me from doing the same.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Most respect the badge, but all respect the gun.

Post imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
    Most respect the badge, but all respect the gun.
    Name the movie:
    T: "Will these badges do us any good if someone decides to start shooting at us?"
    B: "It'll give 'em a good mark to shoot at!"

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

hmm i think it was John Wayne and Mississippi but i cant remember the name lol or maybe it was Doc Holiday who said it oh well im sure im wrong all the way around haha.

My local gun dealer doesn't OC but i know he'es packing because i took his CC course.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

nking wrote:
    hmm i think it was John Wayne and Mississippi but i cant remember the name lol or maybe it was Doc Holiday who said it oh well im sure im wrong all the way around haha.
    Eldorado.

Robert Mitchum: "Who are you?"

James Caan: "We met last night."

Robert Mitchum: "Bull! Where'smy bottle."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXz9h...eature=related

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Yeah, it was ElDorado. Thornton (John Wayne) and Mississippi were getting ready to 'make rounds' around town and Bull deputized them...

Post imported post

I am also a chl holder and think it is right for him to carry on his side in plain view,but find it funny that you had to be buzzed in his shop two. I have been in many estamblishment that require you to be buzzed in,before proceeding any futher.It does give the owner or employee time to take a pic. usally and get an opionion on the individuall coming in.I also worked for a great company here in amarillo part-time,and carried a 38 on my side at all times,because we dealt with guns everyday at this indoor range and gun-sales and repair.

the people i worked for also carried but didnt show theres as obviouse as i did,and they were the owners of this company.i delt with people everyday with my gun loaded and in plain sight,and never once had a problem.I dont know if it was the gun,or the fact of the type of people that came into the shop,but i know one thing is for sure you have to respect a person carring a gun just as you do law-enforcement.im not saying it makes you fill powerfull or anythinng,but it does raise the level of a person when you are around them,if you respect me i will respect you.everyone that has a chl has been trained and taught to respect the ( gun )...AND THE LAW......