• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I kinda understand now

blackelk

imported post

Im ALL for open carry. I conceal carry now and im not a SMALL man and its difficult to have that gun wedged in your waistband and be big.

With that being said I WANT to open Carry...BUT

I went to a gold buying location. Doors were locked, they let you in by hitting a button. I walked in and the gentleman inside working had his glock strapped to his side. Yes you can open carry on your own propoerty legally in Texas...Anways I was estatic, kinda giggly, excited, thrilled and then all of the sudden I felt kinda intimidated! Talk about a rush of emotions in a matter of seconds.

I left the place and now I can KINDA understandwhat people are referring to about intimidation. BUT, at the same time, I FIRMLY believe that open carry will detere crime and acts of violence. Especially if we have our guns exposed on our sides, like I experienced....

Okay enough ranting.......I SURE hope Texas restores our OPEN CARRY RIGHTS!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So...you were carrying concealed and the shop owner was carrying openly, both legal activities as described. Despite being armed yourself you experienced a wave of trepidation at the sight of an OCed handgun. Sounds like this story can go on the "OC as a deterrent to crime"side of the argument. I'm not suggesting you had any criminal intent...I'm just saying. Thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to OCDO.

I have experienced the flushed feeling you described around some LEOs and my laces are pretty straight. I haven't ever felt it around OC non LEOs. Please don't flame me for this but it's true.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

forever_frost wrote:
With that in mind, I bet the last thing on your mind was swiping anything. Good for the shopkeep
+1000. An armed society is a polite society.

KBCraig

imported post

I don't frequent any businesses where you have to be buzzed in through the cage (I doubt there even are any closer than Dallas), but I've never been to a Texas gun shop where the owner and most employees weren't OCing. (Not counting corporate stores like Gander Mountain or Academy or Wal-Mart, because they sell guns, but they aren't "gun shops".)

I never gave it a thought, other than resentment and jealousy that the law prohibits me from doing the same.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
Most respect the badge, but all respect the gun.
Name the movie:
T: "Will these badges do us any good if someone decides to start shooting at us?"
B: "It'll give 'em a good mark to shoot at!"

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

hmm i think it was John Wayne and Mississippi but i cant remember the name lol or maybe it was Doc Holiday who said it oh well im sure im wrong all the way around haha.

My local gun dealer doesn't OC but i know he'es packing because i took his CC course.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nking wrote:
hmm i think it was John Wayne and Mississippi but i cant remember the name lol or maybe it was Doc Holiday who said it oh well im sure im wrong all the way around haha.

Eldorado.

Robert Mitchum: "Who are you?"

James Caan: "We met last night."

Robert Mitchum: "Bull! Where'smy bottle."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXz9haK63bY&feature=related

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Yeah, it was ElDorado. Thornton (John Wayne) and Mississippi were getting ready to 'make rounds' around town and Bull deputized them...

S_U_B___0

imported post

I am also a chl holder and think it is right for him to carry on his side in plain view,but find it funny that you had to be buzzed in his shop two. I have been in many estamblishment that require you to be buzzed in,before proceeding any futher.It does give the owner or employee time to take a pic. usally and get an opionion on the individuall coming in.I also worked for a great company here in amarillo part-time,and carried a 38 on my side at all times,because we dealt with guns everyday at this indoor range and gun-sales and repair.

the people i worked for also carried but didnt show theres as obviouse as i did,and they were the owners of this company.i delt with people everyday with my gun loaded and in plain sight,and never once had a problem.I dont know if it was the gun,or the fact of the type of people that came into the shop,but i know one thing is for sure you have to respect a person carring a gun just as you do law-enforcement.im not saying it makes you fill powerfull or anythinng,but it does raise the level of a person when you are around them,if you respect me i will respect you.everyone that has a chl has been trained and taught to respect the ( gun )...AND THE LAW......