• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not local maybe off topic

rebfan

imported post

What is scary isthere arepeople who think exercising theFirst and Second Amendment is scary.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
ROFLMAO!!!! Speaking as someone who's family had been in VA at least 7 generations before fighting in the Revolutionary War I certainly relate to the idea of southern heritage and knowing who your father (and forefathers) are.
That would make you a Native American would it not? Unless you forefathers landed at Jamestown (1607) or there about. Revolutionary War started 1775. With an average generation of 24 years that is exactly 7 generations - wow.

That would seem to make your great x5 grandfather a true founding father. :D

Yata hey
A lot of people can make that claim. My family also goes back to well before the revolutionary war in Virginia.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
A lot of people can make that claim. My family also goes back to well before the revolutionary war in Virginia.
I can get close (1633) in Massachusetts, but that is hardly Virginia. Guess that makes me a Yamn Dankey to some - but back it wasn't a question. :)

Yata hey

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
ROFLMAO!!!! Speaking as someone who's family had been in VA at least 7 generations before fighting in the Revolutionary War I certainly relate to the idea of southern heritage and knowing who your father (and forefathers) are.
That would make you a Native American would it not? Unless you forefathers landed at Jamestown (1607) or there about. Revolutionary War started 1775. With an average generation of 24 years that is exactly 7 generations - wow.

That would seem to make your great x5 grandfather a true founding father. :D

Yata hey
Well, family members have traced back far enough to have proof that in 1623 my ancestors had a daughter, born in VA, were land owners and on voting rolls, but still haven't tracked down the year they actually landed here. My mother's family has been here for a bit.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Unfortunately, I don't know how far back my family tree goes in Virginia. I know it goes deep into the 1800's. But the real kicker is my wife.

On her father's side, the family has been in Virginia since 1636! We know the name of one of the men who fought in the Revolution. We know what some of the home (farms) were used for during the War for Southern Independence. An I have traced perhaps as many as four family members on that side who rode and fought with John Singleton Mosby aka The Grey Ghost.

Neplusultra

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't know how far back my family tree goes in Virginia. I know it goes deep into the 1800's. But the real kicker is my wife.

On her father's side, the family has been in Virginia since 1636! We know the name of one of the men who fought in the Revolution. We know what some of the home (farms) were used for during the War for Southern Independence. An I have traced perhaps as many as four family members on that side who rode and fought with John Singleton Mosby aka The Grey Ghost.
Mosby, who if IIRC, never surrendered. All my family are imigrants from the 18th and 19th centuries except for my father's father's family. They landed in PA sometime around the 1730s. Some of the family ended up in NC where one became a signer of the (controversial) Mecklennburg Declaration that predated the US Declaration by a year.

rebfan

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Mosby, who if IIRC, never surrendered. All my family are imigrants from the 18th and 19th centuries except for my father's father's family. They landed in PA sometime around the 1730s. Some of the family ended up in NC where one became a signer of the (controversial) Mecklennburg Declaration that predated the US Declaration by a year.
You recalled correctly, Mosby disbanded his men and that was it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I wonder if they came in the same boat as my family, we came from england to PA in that same time from. Some reports of other relatives arriving earlier but only from british records, as living abroad in legal documents, as early as mid 1600's.

Neplusultra

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
I wonder if they came in the same boat as my family, we came from england to PA in that same time from. Some reports of other relatives arriving earlier but only from british records, as living abroad in legal documents, as early as mid 1600's.
Ha, might have. They came from Ireland but might very well have left from England as my Grandmother did though they came from Sweden. My father's sister has all the history.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Back 11 generations Samual Chew born in Jamestown 1634 Married Anne Ayers. Although I was born in Southern Maryland. Now live in VA and would never go back.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Back 11 generations Samual Chew born in Jamestown 1634 Married Anne Ayers. Although I was born in Southern Maryland. Now live in VA and would never go back.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

My grandmother side came from ireland....hell we might be family.....a lot of my family then ended settling in vermont with a town named after us....(they have skiing). And my great grandfather was a U.S. Marshel who tracked Jesse James out west, thats how our branch ended up eventually out here.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

rebfan wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Col. Mosby was one of my childhood heros. He is buried about 13-14 miles from where I live. I have visited his grave site several times. His home, down the street from the cemetery, has been turned into a museum honoring him.

rebfan

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
rebfan wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Col. Mosby was one of my childhood heros. He is buried about 13-14 miles from where I live. I have visited his grave site several times. His home, down the street from the cemetery, has been turned into a museum honoring him.
Yup, he is a good hero to have. He gave the Yankees fits with his stealth and tactics.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rebfan wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
rebfan wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Yup, he is a good hero to have. He gave the Yankees fits with his stealth and tactics.
For better or worse you guys do know that the fat lady went on to marry, have children, who had children, and she died a great grandmother in the early 1900's, having sung quite loudly in 1865.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SNIP For better or worse you guys do know that the fat lady went on to marry, have children, who had children, and she died a great grandmother in the early 1900's, having sung quite loudly in 1865.
Yeah, but I bet she nevermistreatedherdead cat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
SNIP For better or worse you guys do know that the fat lady went on to marry, have children, who had children, and she died a great grandmother in the early 1900's, having sung quite loudly in 1865.
Yeah, but I bet she nevermistreatedherdead cat.

Not all of it!

LAMO:celebrate
Muhahahahaha!

You laff now; but wait until we start calling you "DCSwinger".

:)

rebfan

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
rebfan wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
rebfan wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

For better or worse you guys do know that the fat lady went on to marry, have children, who had children, and she died a great grandmother in the early 1900's, having sung quite loudly in 1865.
Oh, I know, but that will not stop me from honoring and staying true to my Southern Heritage. I also will not forget what Lincoln did to the Constitution, and it should serve as a lesson to all of us considering the current events on allowing a President to abuse his power.http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Taney-Arrest-Warrant