Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Eraseallhope's UOC stories

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    So yesterday a friend of mine woke me up askin if i wanted to go with him to the range to get some trigger time before i had to work.

    I said of course, but first i had to pick up some ammo from my local big5 right down the street across from the local mall.

    I holstered up and doubled checked to make sure i was legal and unloaded and we were off to pick up some ammo..

    We arrive in the parking lot and walk into the store without even one look from the 8 or 10 people walking in and out the front doors, and walk right up to the rife/ammo section of the store.

    The cashier was probably my age or a year or 2 older but said nothing about my side arm as i asked him to sell me 100 rounds of s&w 40.

    He takes the ammo to the cash register and i wait in the check out line for about 8 minutes waiting to check out and pay for my ammo... No one in the line or even the female cashier seemed to care that i was open carrying and they didnt say anything either.

    Once i had finished paying for everything i waited for my friend to finish buying his things (He actually bought himself a cheapo belt holster because he was so ammazed that no one seemed to care and about the legality of my open carry that he decided he was going to become an active unloaded open carrier too) and the original cashier from the ammo section of the store approched me and asked if i had a permit for "That Thing."

    I just laughed and said I do have a permit but it only applies for my work, But when i am in public i am legally aloud to carry as long as i am unloaded and the firearm is clearly visible. I gave him a copy of the open carry flier and told him to check out this site sometime and he just said "cool"



    Open carried everywhere else in my car, to the range and back home then to work.

    After work i met up with another friend of mine before heading home... He also lives with me at my house so we decided to head back to our place...

    But first we both stopped at the gas station close to my house that i frequent often, but ive never actually OC inside. And recently this gas station was on the local news for a robbery that took place.

    But anyways, We both walked in, I grabbed a 24 ounce budwiser and walked to the counter... The 3 cashiers didnt say anything but did smile a bit they didnt seem to care or seem too worried about me askin them to stick em up or anything like that....

    So i wrapped things upandOC as i drove 2blocks down to my house.

    All in all i say today was a pretty uneventful day in my UOC experience.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    Well, congratulations on popping your cherry.

    Just out of curiosity, what range allows you to OC? Every range I have been to had a cow when I am not LE. . . They run in panic and tell me it is the "law". Worst, they won't let me holster draw since I am not LE either.

    eraseallhope wrote:
    All in all i say today was a pretty uneventful day in my UOC experience.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Washoe County, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    256

    Post imported post

    That's interesting, I've never had a problem drawing from my holster at a range. If you're up to the line and / or in your lane and the weapon is pointed downrange or holstered, what's the big deal?

  4. #4
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    No problem in Nevada right?

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Ronning Arms here in Modesto doesn't seem to mind. They do have a rule against "rapid fire" and they frown on 'quick draw.' These are two things that I feel are important to practice (since I'm most likely going to have to draw and quickly stop the threat in a SD situation).

    I am fortunate enough to have access to a private range where the only rule is "don't shoot the cows."
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    City of Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA
    Posts
    158

    Post imported post

    One would think that practing the draw of an unloaded handgun would be no problem. Once out of the holster then insert mag, rack and engage.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    What makes sense to us, doesn't to a range.

    LeagueOf1607 wrote:
    One would think that practing the draw of an unloaded handgun would be no problem. Once out of the holster then insert mag, rack and engage.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    lytle creek i believe there is some lanes you might be able to do holster draws and action reloading... maybe even walking up the range towards targets im sure if the range isnt busy....



    but i do alot of target practice at Insight in cerritos?

    they do not alow rapid fire or holster draws sooo thats why i keep lytle creek a close 2nd in my mind.



    As for my open carry events something funny happend to me today...

    The past few days i've been open carrying as usual, nothing too intresting or out of the ordinary besides me being the only person in the places i go with a gun on his hip.

    BUT.... today i went back into my local big5 sporting goods to again buy some s&w 40 rounds to use at the range (open carrying as usual) and the cashier asked me "is that a .40 cal on your hip?"

    i responded back that yes it was and he told me "Will you please put it in your car i cannot sell you this ammo while you have the same caliber weapon on you"

    i told him that i was legally carrying, and he responded with "Its the lawyou cannot have the same weapon to the ammo your buying" you might "load the weapon"

    I laughed and said "if i wanted to load my weapon i'd just emergency reload one of my two clips (openly visible to comply with california law on my reverse side hip) fully loaded with hallow point rounds"

    and a smiled and continued with "But sure i'll go lock this up, and be right back will you please ring it up for me?"

    He said yes and i left the store and continued my day, Took my business to another store that happily sold me ammunition, (the other big5 must not be feeling the same economic crisis we normal folk are.)



    And thats pretty much the extent of it... No confrontation or complaints from anybody and no body seems to mind or be terrified.. Im pretty sure 50% never even notice i'm open carrying...



    One quick question though, Maybe i am unaware but id like to know to make sure next time that in fact i am not breaking any laws.....

    Was what the clerk at big5 told me true? they sold me ammo a day before, but this guy told me it was a law i cannot purchase ammo of the same caliber of the weapon im carrying? Can i buy .40 cal if my side arm was a 9mm and be legal? ........weird

  9. #9
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    eraseallhope wrote:
    lytle creek i believe there is some lanes you might be able to do holster draws and action reloading... maybe even walking up the range towards targets im sure if the range isnt busy....



    but i do alot of target practice at Insight in cerritos?

    they do not alow rapid fire or holster draws sooo thats why i keep lytle creek a close 2nd in my mind.



    As for my open carry events something funny happend to me today...

    The past few days i've been open carrying as usual, nothing too intresting or out of the ordinary besides me being the only person in the places i go with a gun on his hip.

    BUT.... today i went back into my local big5 sporting goods to again buy some s&w 40 rounds to use at the range (open carrying as usual) and the cashier asked me "is that a .40 cal on your hip?"

    i responded back that yes it was and he told me "Will you please put it in your car i cannot sell you this ammo while you have the same caliber weapon on you"

    i told him that i was legally carrying, and he responded with "Its the lawyou cannot have the same weapon to the ammo your buying" you might "load the weapon"

    I laughed and said "if i wanted to load my weapon i'd just emergency reload one of my two clips (openly visible to comply with california law on my reverse side hip) fully loaded with hallow point rounds"

    and a smiled and continued with "But sure i'll go lock this up, and be right back will you please ring it up for me?"

    He said yes and i left the store and continued my day, Took my business to another store that happily sold me ammunition, (the other big5 must not be feeling the same economic crisis we normal folk are.)



    And thats pretty much the extent of it... No confrontation or complaints from anybody and no body seems to mind or be terrified.. Im pretty sure 50% never even notice i'm open carrying...



    One quick question though, Maybe i am unaware but id like to know to make sure next time that in fact i am not breaking any laws.....

    Was what the clerk at big5 told me true? they sold me ammo a day before, but this guy told me it was a law i cannot purchase ammo of the same caliber of the weapon im carrying? Can i buy .40 cal if my side arm was a 9mm and be legal? ........weird
    There is no law against selling ammuntion to someone who is carrying the gun that the ammuntion of for.

    The clerk is probably spouting of his total misunderstanding of the law (IIRC PC 12001 & 12023) that states ifsomeonehas the "intent to commit a felony" and has a gun and ammuntion for that gun, they are carrying a loaded gun.

    This particular law doesn't apply to normal law abiding citizens.

  10. #10
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    eraseallhope wrote:
    Was what the clerk at big5 told me true? they sold me ammo a day before, but this guy told me it was a law i cannot purchase ammo of the same caliber of the weapon im carrying? Can i buy .40 cal if my side arm was a 9mm and be legal? ........weird
    That depends on whether or not this Big 5 was located inside the Governor's mansion or one of his residences. Arnold doesn't live at that Big 5, DOES HE?!?! (Referencing 171.c-e)

  11. #11
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    I would have pointed out why they lost your business. I would also call the manager to complain and see about correcting the clerk's behavior. If you aren't satisfied with the manager's response, call their corporate office. If they have a corporate anti-gun policy, then maybe Big5 should be on my list of places not to patronize.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    L.A. County, California, USA
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    eraseallhope wrote:
    snip...
    One quick question though, Maybe i am unaware but id like to know to make sure next time that in fact i am not breaking any laws.....

    Was what the clerk at big5 told me true? they sold me ammo a day before, but this guy told me it was a law i cannot purchase ammo of the same caliber of the weapon im carrying? Can i buy .40 cal if my side arm was a 9mm and be legal? ........weird
    Perhaps the clerk was thinking of the wrong CA law to apply. There is a prohibition against having both a firearm and ammo for that firearm at a gun show. So don't go carrying your .40 cal. to the Gun show and buy(or carry) ammo for it Check this for further detail:
    [line]
    12071.4. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited as, the
    Gun Show Enforcement and Security Act of 2000...


    ...(g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security
    personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time
    both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the
    firearm.
    Vendors having those items at the show for sale or
    exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.
    [line]
    Use the above CA law section to go back to the store to educate the supervisor and give the clerk a "face-saving" way to correct his thinking. Big 5 is not a "Gun Show" as far as I know, but perhaps the clerk has worked a Gun Show before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •