• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MS CCW application question

Eeyore

imported post

I'm moving to Mississippi next month, so I downloaded the application form for a CC permit. Aside from the high cost of the permit, something else caught my attention: it specifies a requirement for 2 photo IDs,one of thembeing a MS drivers license. I still have my drivers license from my Home of Record, Vermont (a no-permit-required state :)). My only photo IDs are my military ID and a passport. Will this be a show-stopper?

WLDuBard

imported post

From what I remember when I got myCCP they only looked at my drivers license. They did not ask to see another form of ID. If they need a second ID im sure your passport and military ID will do. From the time I turned in my paperwork until I had my license was around 5 weeks. What part of MS are you moving to?

djwhite1978

imported post

I just got my CCW in Biloxi and they DID make me get a MS license. Even though there is a subsection in the law specifically for military members. They just don't care and will not issue one without a MS ID. As long as you don't register to vote in MS it will not change your residency.

I also had trouble purchasing a handgun in Gulfport without a MS DL. They would not sell without a house note and six months of utility bills. Military orders did absolutely nothing. Supposedly they had been fined by the almighty BATFE for taking orders without an expiration date. Permenant Change of Station orders DON'T expire, hence the name PERMENANT. MS is ridiculous.

Mississippian

imported post

SEC. 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.
(1) (a) The Department of Public Safety is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed pistols or revolvers to persons qualified as provided in this section. Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of four (4) years from the date of issuance. Any person possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this section may carry a concealed pistol or concealed revolver.
(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.
(2) The Department of Public Safety shall issue a license if the applicant:
(a) Is a resident of the state and has been a resident for twelve (12) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application. However, this residency requirement may be waived, provided the applicant possesses a valid permit from another state, is active military personnel stationed in Mississippi or is a retired law enforcement officer establishing residency in the state.
While doing a bit of research, I ran across this today (in red), I thought it may help but then I see VT did not requireyou to havea CC permit...Oh well.

Mississippian

imported post

Print that section out and take it with you, I know just how hardheaded some MS officials can be, I also know it is easier for them to tell you 'no' than for them tolook up the law and actually learn something.

Eeyore

imported post

I just visited http://hangunlaw.usand according to them, Mississippi now has reciprocity with Virginia. Virginia's State Police website corroborates this, but the MS Highway Patrol's website does not list Virginia.Both handgun.us and the VSP website have links to Mississippi's Secretary of State website, but theylead to a defunct URL. I'd like to believe it, since that would save me hassle and $132 ;), but I need something more official thanhandgunlaw.us's say-so.

Looking forward to carrying in MS. Still trying to find out the hard, cold truth on this.