• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposed NEW Job of the Legislature:

Orygunner

imported post

The primary task of the Legislative branch of government is to make the laws, right? They're terribly good at it, they do almost nothing BUT make laws. And more laws. And more laws. There are supposed to be limits to what kind of laws the government can make,but they continue to add to whatever they can within those boundaries, sometimes pushing the boundaries themselves.

I compare our legislature to a smart child. Tell a child they can't cross the street, and in their boredom, they will not onlyexplore every possible nook and cranny in their available allowed space looking for something to do, but they will try to find any excuse to either go into the road or cross the street completely, unless you either A) punish them soundly, or B) give them something else constructive to do.

That's how I feel the legislative branch of government runs. They fill all the available space with new laws every session just to make themselves busy, claiming it's necessary to control, or regulate, or solve a perceived problem.If they occasionally overstep the bounds granted to them by the Constitution, they never receive any real punishment - the Judicial branch may slap their hands gently and redefine the boundary, but no real restraint is ever imposed.

I propose the legislative branch be given something really constructive to do. Instead of making more laws that we really don't need, and that only further restrict our liberties in one way or another, our representatives in federal, state and local government need to start reviewing and REMOVING unneccesary laws from the books.

The only time laws are removed is when it's being replaced with another law.Most laws, once created, just sit there waiting to be enforced, and are never reviewed unless challenged by a court.

We need to give our lawmakers a new problem to solve: The problem is erosion of our liberties, and the solution is to remove unneccesary laws from our local, state, and federal statutes.

This is a pretty substantial paradigm shift. A change from lawmakers to lawremovers. How can this be accomplished?

...Orygunner...

t3rmin

imported post

"My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them." -- Barry Goldwater

I'd be hard-pressed to think of any new law we need. But I could list dozens I'd like to see gone. So I agree 100%. Unfortunately it's impossible. Power, once taken, is never relinquished. I've come to the conclusion the only move at this point is to tear it all down and start over.

opusd2

imported post

You won't find repealing laws a favorable duty because it reduces profits from the enforcement of said laws, would probably put a few in-laws and relatives out of business, and of course lower their power as gods with the ability to command the public to do stupid acts. It's like asking a bully to stop pestering one person because they have others they push around.