• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop on AR15.com lets you know he is the law!

redlegagent

imported post

You know the score Dekker.....if you're not one of us - you're little people. - BladeRunner.

This philosophy is held by many police. They are a law unto themselves.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Thankfully, police officers like this are in a small minority.
That's highly dependant on what area you're in.
It is more dependant on weather you take an attitude or just treat the guy like another human being.  I can guess that your encounters may not be very good.
Try being black in Oakland. :p

Gunslinger

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
And there, my friends, is a LEO who is going to cost his employers, and hence the taxpayers, a large sum of money when someone sues the crap out of them for false arrest.

Oh, but it is, and he isn't the only one out there. Thankfully, police officers like this are in a small minority. I know too many good cops to think otherwise.

There are assholes in every profession. Here's a prime example. I hope he gets a chance to make that statement in a Federal Court someday. The Judge will not be amused.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Thankfully, police officers like this are in a small minority.
That's highly dependant on what area you're in.
It is more dependant on weather you take an attitude or just treat the guy like another human being. I can guess that your encounters may not be very good.

Negative. When I deal with police I respond with as few words andin the most objective, non-expressive manner possible. I don't editorialize. I don't converse. I don't speak voluntarily. I respond, that's it.

Their attitudes are there already. If they werea result of the way I acted, I wouldn't be faulting them for it. I also wasn't speaking solely from my own experiences.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Can I get a little support from OCDO over there?
Someone over there claimed that they would not need their weapon as long as the LEO was there so they had no problem handing it over. You should post a link to the thread here about the LEO that was saved by a citizen.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A friend of mine, regular church-goer (how I know him), is a member of an area police department. I had the chance to talk to him about being a police officer, and one question I asked regarded Texas open carry. He was more than a little uncomfortable with the idea. To clarify; he is a strong supporter of gun rights. He probably has the most inside information on the real stats of lawful gun owners using them to protect themselves, and he very strongly supports our CHL laws. Under LEOSA, he carries his backup G27 more often than not.

However, I mentioned open carry, and his very first thought was "if I see a person walking around carrying a gun in plain sight, I will want to stop and question him". He understands and said very quickly that this would be a violation of the Fourth Amendment rights of the person so stopped, and for that reason his opinion is that it is better not to have OC.

I explored that sentiment, and he further stated that the CHL holds licensees to the same standard of firearms handling skill that an officer is expected to show before graduating the academy and every 6 months thereafter (however a CHL only has to re-qualify once every four years). OC without that proof of competency, he felt, could lead to an increase in unintentional shootings.

This is all stuff I've heard before. I introduced the fact that more states do allow OC than prohibit it, and that the cops are (in gold star states) trained that a person carrying openly should not be questioned without reasonable suspicion that he has or is about to do something bad with that gun (a 911 MWAG call, unfortunately, must be followed up on). The justification is that a criminal does not wantthe publicto know he has a gun, and will therefore conceal it. A person carrying openly has nothing to hide, obviously. He was receptive to that argument, but still found fault with the lack of proof of training, to which I reiterated that concealed means concealed, and that applies to an unlawful carrier as well as a lawful one; the average joe on the street may be packing or not, and the ones packing may or may not have valid CHLs. There is simply no way to tell. He conceded that point as well.

The last point, which is totally true and thatwe OC supporters can only tackle head-on, is that a CHL holder carrying concealed appears normal. An OCer does not. To OC is to risk a disturbance of the peace every second of every day. That makes police officers' jobs very difficult; they will be called to many more "MWAG" situations, and given that guns are involved cannot do anything but act as if the situation is or could quickly turn violent. That's how it is. We all know that's not how it should be, but unfortunately a cop knows all too well that the world is not how it "should be". If a lawful gun owner carries openly and someone else is scared enough by the sight to call police, they HAVE to respond, they WILL detain and question you (a 911 MWAG call is reasonable suspicion just like a burglary call on a man breaking into his own house because he locked himself out), and it MAY result in a ride in the back of a squad car (I was in a car accident recently and spent some time keeping warm in just such a back seat; I'll tell you they are not comfortable). The only way past that is education; unfortunately there's a vicious cycle here of OC being illegal, so nobody sees an OCer without a badge, so most think it should be illegal.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Liko81 wrote:
A friend of mine, ...SNIP...
, so nobody sees an OCer without a badge, so most think it should be illegal.

Not criticizing, but there is nothing new here. This is the same argument that most LE people make against OC. This is all about not letting people see guns. What has to happen is more people carrying in more places and expanding the normalcy of this form of carry, by having people see the guns.

Right now OCers are activists. The goal is to reach a time when they are just normal citizens going about every day life.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, well, read "vicious cycle". In most states it is legal but that fact isnot widely known. An OCer is not committing a crime in those states, and so can very easily result in the education of officers and the general public simply by OCing. However, it's illegal in Texas to OC in public. That makes it very difficult to educate.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Right now OCers are activists. The goal is to reach a time when they are just normal citizens going about every day life.

I have a dream that someday All children, little CC children and little OC children will walk together freely.

Sheriff

imported post

I've said it once, I will say it again. Just because a person enters a forum and says they are a cop.... doesn't mean they are one. On the Internet a person can be anything they choose to be.

Furthermore, when identification and verification is required to enter certain areas of "cop" forums, everybody has a friend who will join up and provide credentials for identification to the web site. It still doesn't mean the person who eventually uses the account is a real cop. (Tickles me to death that one cop forum claims to have a foolproof verification process :lol:)