• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chosing a 9mm for daily carry

rugergirl

imported post

Please, without brand bashing or brand bragging, I like to hear some thoughts on what you carry and why you like it.

Next months gun will be a 9mm semi-auto and I'm starting my research now. The GP100 and the MK III are both nice guns but neither one is suitable for daily carry, so I must get another, please help me feed my habit with your thoughts.:D

squisher

imported post

I went with Taurus' PT92, the Beretta 92 clone.

I decided on Taurus instead of the Beretta because the Taurus is cheaper, and I like the safety on the frame better than on the slide.

I decided on a 92 (full-size with 5" barrel) because, being heavier it soaks up recoil better, it is more pointable (to me), and capacity is very nice (17+1). I chose the stainless finish because its less maintenance.

Since I OC (or at least OWB) carry, the size is no hindrance. (I'm 5'11" and medium build for your consideration, it may prove to be somewhat bulky for those of small stature). The grip is kind of wide, but works well for me because of my big hands. I can reach all controls easily, and the breakdown for cleaning requires no tools whatsoever.

At the range is has proven itself to be very reliable when using factory magazines (I have 3 aftermarkets that were cheap -- I found out why real quick). Using factory magazines I can count the number of fail-to-feed/eject on one hand, and can attribute pretty much all of them to limp-wristing it (all but one happened to my wife).

Overall I am very pleased with it, and at typical self-defense distances the fixed sights seem to be reasonably well on target.

The one thing I have not done is tried multiple brands of JHP ammunition (I've only lobbed WWB downrange) -- a situation I intend to correct as soon as finances allow.

camsoup

imported post

Since you have a GP100 And Mk III, why not stay in the family and pick up a Ruger P89 or P95.

Ive had my 95 for about 9 months, just over 1200 rounds through, and only 1 FTE (which was the first time my wife ever shot a semi auto and limp wristed it). Other than that it has fed everything from wolf, to reloads, to golden sabers without a hiccup.

My 95 is the black decock only model, shoots well and is very affordable. I got mine for $329 at a local shop when they had a 10% off all rugers sale.

ghostrider

imported post

rugergirl wrote:
Please, without brand bashing or brand bragging, I like to hear some thoughts on what you carry and why you like it.

Next months gun will be a 9mm semi-auto and I'm starting my research now. The GP100 and the MK III are both nice guns but neither one is suitable for daily carry, so I must get another, please help me feed my habit with your thoughts.:D
Have you read cornneredcat yet?

If not, then go read that. I know that your experienced, but there is probably still stuff you (anyone really) can learn there.

Selecting a handgun for EDC is way too personal a choice to leave to strangers.

There are many variables, and I've covered them in previous posts. Don't have time now, but will chime in later.

eyesopened

imported post

I normally carry a .45ACP, but in the summer I like to carry my Springfield EMP. It's a 1911 designed around the 9mm. It's one of the smallest and most comfortable guns to carry for me. A bit pricey but it's well worth it IMO.

squisher

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
rugergirl wrote:

If not, then go read that. I know that your experienced, but there is probably still stuff you (anyone really) can learn there.

There are many variables, and I've covered them in previous posts. Don't have time now, but will chime in later.
I second the Cornered Cat advice. There is a lot of good information on that site. I figured you were looking for opinions of owners though :)

Too bad you're not closer, you could shoot the '92 if you wanted. The absolute best advice I've ever received regarding the choosing of a firearm was to shoot as many different models, sizes and calibers as you could get your hands on.

rugergirl

imported post

squisher wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
rugergirl wrote:

I second the Cornered Cat advice. There is a lot of good information on that site. I figured you were looking for opinions of owners though :)

Too bad you're not closer, you could shoot the '92 if you wanted. The absolute best advice I've ever received regarding the choosing of a firearm was to shoot as many different models, sizes and calibers as you could get your hands on.

Yep, been to the CC site, have it bookmarked. And you are right I am looking for personal opinions about others 9mm, what you like and what you don't and why.

I do plan on renting a few, maybe several different models and getting a hands-on feel for them before buying.

I did fire a Smith & Wesson M&P9 a friend rented a couple weeks ago when we were at the range, and liked it, felt good in the hand, no issues with recoil, sites were decent, but I only fired one clip.

Some others I'm considering Ruger SR9, Sig P229, XD9, Glock 17 & 26 and possibly others based on what I hear from the rest of you. So lets hear it whatcha like best???

smash29

imported post

GLOCK 19!

I hope this doesn't come across as "brand bragging" butIMHOit's the best 9mm semi-auto you can buy, period. 15+1 capacity, bullet proof design (pardon the pun), and concealable if you chose to (or must) carry it that way, I just love it. I was considering a G19 as my first gun but I ended upwith a Sig P239 instead because that's what I was given in my intro class. The Sig is a great gun but in hindsight I wish I just bought the Glock, it would have saved me a lot of trial, error, and money!

Your mileage may vary but if the gun is comfortable in your hand I don't see how you can go wrong with a 19.

marine77

imported post

I carry the Glock 17, i've had it now for about 16 years, and carry that in a blackhawk qcb.

Daddyo

imported post

I carry a Ruger P89. It's totally reliable. But it's also big, fat and heavy. I like it, but others might not.

For what its worth, the M&P was at the top of the list when I got the Ruger, but a hair outside my price range. Glocks are god too, if you like the way they feel. I don't, but that's just me. I may wind up with one yet as I'm thinking about a 10mm.

buster81

imported post

Here's $0.02 worth. I recently bought PPS and love it for CC. It's not for everyone, and does require a certain procedure to break in, but it's a real small CC 9mm.

redlegagent

imported post

Not to brand bash but my girlfriend has a Ruger P-95DC and it is disappointing to say the least. Bought it because it was cheap on clearance and it will be the first to go if we have to sell any. We both have XD's and are very happy, the new XD-M looks very promising. If you don't want full size or break the bank, I have a Bersa .380 which is very reliable and comfortable to shoot. I would have no qualms looking at their Thunder 9mm if you want a smaller carry. They are economical, reliable firearms. ;)

MamaLiberty

imported post

Do consider the Springfield XD and XDm line seriously. I carry the XD .45 and love it. I'm a 5 ft. older woman and the XD fits my hand like it was made for it. I also love not having a safety lever that must be switched on and off. The passive safety features and a good holster that covers the trigger guard are plenty, and if you ever need to use it, there's one less thing to remember.

Walleye

imported post

Since you listed the SIG P229 as one of your considerations, I'd go with that one.

I bought a CPO P226 9mm last year and it is an excellent pistol. It's a lot smaller than most full size 9mms, very reliable, and simple to use. The only downside is the lack of any kind of manual safety - if you pull the trigger, it will fire. Of course that's the same with the Glocks you mentioned as well, so I doubt that's much of a issue for you.

Before I got my P226, I carried a S&W M39-2, which are not made anymore. It's a single stack 9mm and even though it's classed as a full size pistol, it's very compact; I still have it, but it is not my carry sidearm because I always admired SIGs and the M39 is something of an art piece that I don't feel comfortable wearing for every day carry. I don't worry about scratches, holster wear, etc. with my P226.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Check out the EAA Witness pistols. They are CZ clones and are very well made. I have both the .45 and 9mm. compacts and they are very well made. You can also get caliber conversions for them so you could get the .45 and then get the conversion kit for 9mm.

These pistols are Italian made. You can get them in steel or polymer. I prefer the steel myself. The CZ design puts the slide inside of the frame instead of outside as in the Browning designs. This allows for a narrower profile, and lowering of the barrel and slide top which helps in reducing felt recoil and muzzle flip. The grip design is more ergonomic as well, Is has a palm swell to fit and fill the hand better. I particularly like that it can be carried cocked and locked or double action first shot, at the choice of the carrier.

These are also more reasonably priced than a lot of the competition. I use four primary carry weapons for street carry, the EAA Witness in either .45 or 9mm, or Para Ord P12.45, or P10.45. Off road I frequently carry a S&W .500 4", S&W 629 3", or a Ruger GP-100 depending on the need of the moment.

David.Car

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Since you listed the SIG P229 as one of your considerations, I'd go with that one.

I bought a CPO P226 9mm last year and it is an excellent pistol. It's a lot smaller than most full size 9mms, very reliable, and simple to use. The only downside is the lack of any kind of manual safety - if you pull the trigger, it will fire. Of course that's the same with the Glocks you mentioned as well, so I doubt that's much of a issue for you.
I carry the Sig P226 in 9mm myself. Have 18 round flush fitting Mec-Gar mags (same company that makes the factory sig mags, but cheaper to buy direct from them). So it carries 18+1.

Unlike the poster above, I feel the lack of a manual safety on this firearm is one of the reasons it is so great. The standard model is the DA/SA.

The first pull of the trigger is going to be the heavier weight Double Action pull. That is the guns safety. After the first round, every follow up shot is a softer shorter pull.

camsoup

imported post

redlegagent wrote:
Not to brand bash but my girlfriend has a Ruger P-95DC and it is disappointing to say the least. Bought it because it was cheap on clearance and it will be the first to go if we have to sell any. We both have XD's and are very happy, the new XD-M looks very promising. If you don't want full size or break the bank, I have a Bersa .380 which is very reliable and comfortable to shoot. I would have no qualms looking at their Thunder 9mm if you want a smaller carry. They are economical, reliable firearms. ;)

Shoot me a PM if you ever wanna sell, I would be interested.

bordsnbikes

imported post

I stand behind the Glock's big time. Specifically the 19 and 26. I owned an XD and it just didn't perform as well as something my life depends on needs to. I really like the 26 because it is so small and concealable. But if you OC there isn't a real need for it to be that small. In that case go with the 19 or if your feeling adventurous go with the 17, it's just kind of large. Rock solid guns and, especially for being so reliable, very easy on the wallet.

Dahwg

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Check out the EAA Witness pistols.  They are CZ clones and are very well made...

Why buy a clone when you can get the real thing for about the same price? I carry the CZ P-01. At the time I bought it, it was the only NATO approved sidearm that you could buy as a civilian (may still be). It's a compact model (about the same size as a Glock-19) and has been put through some of the most extreme torture tests ever.

The P-01 is based on the CZ 75, the most used pistol in the world. Over 60 countries use it as the standard sidearm of their Armies, National police forces, National security agencies or other Law enforcement organizations. No other pistol can make this claim.

That said, this is truly the most amazingly accurate pistol I have ever shot- it's almost scary how accurate it is. The ergonomics of this thing are equally impressive. You'll often hear P-01 owners talk about how their CZ fits them like a glove.

You owe it to yourself to give it a try.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

GLOCK 19 or Kahr K9/P9/CW9 (especially if you have smaller hands). The K9, while somewhat heavy for its smallish size, is a solid, reliable, accurate and ergonomic choice. I have an "Elite" (read: factory polished) version of the K9, and it is my favorite handgun, by far.

Shoot a bunch of 'em before you decide what you want.