• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chosing a 9mm for daily carry

TechnoWeenie

imported post

squisher wrote:
I went with Taurus' PT92, the Beretta 92 clone.

I decided on Taurus instead of the Beretta because the Taurus is cheaper, and I like the safety on the frame better than on the slide.

I decided on a 92 (full-size with 5" barrel) because, being heavier it soaks up recoil better, it is more pointable (to me), and capacity is very nice (17+1).  I chose the stainless finish because its less maintenance.

Since I OC (or at least OWB) carry, the size is no hindrance.  (I'm 5'11" and medium build for your consideration, it may prove to be somewhat bulky for those of small stature).  The grip is kind of wide, but works well for me because of my big hands.  I can reach all controls easily, and the breakdown for cleaning requires no tools whatsoever.

At the range is has proven itself to be very reliable when using factory magazines (I have 3 aftermarkets that were cheap -- I found out why real quick).  Using factory magazines I can count the number of fail-to-feed/eject on one hand, and can attribute pretty much all of them to limp-wristing it (all but one happened to my wife).

Overall I am very pleased with it, and at typical self-defense distances the fixed sights seem to be reasonably well on target.

The one thing I have not done is tried multiple brands of JHP ammunition (I've only lobbed WWB downrange) -- a situation I intend to correct as soon as finances allow.

I too started off with the PT-92 as my first pistol....

I transitioned to the Glock 17 for a few reasons.

1. Weight - a lot lighter
2. Accessories available - not all Beretta accessories fit The PT, not a lot of holsters do either.
3. Simple. Simple. Simple. (same as PT-92)
4. SHTF parts availability - most police agencies use Glocks, although the PT-92 can swap parts with most Beretta parts, G17s are issued a lot, meaning lots of spare parts (relatively, compared to a PT92)
5. Consistent trigger pull... Firing first shot DA, then every shot after that SA makes it difficult to train for accuracy. You want to do the same thing 1000x , not 1 thing, then 16 other things, 1000x ;)

turbodog

imported post

camsoup wrote:
Since you have a GP100 And Mk III, why not stay in the family and pick up a Ruger P89 or P95.

Ive had my 95 for about 9 months, just over 1200 rounds through, and only 1 FTE (which was the first time my wife ever shot a semi auto and limp wristed it). Other than that it has fed everything from wolf, to reloads, to golden sabers without a hiccup.

My 95 is the black decock only model, shoots well and is very affordable. I got mine for $329 at a local shop when they had a 10% off all rugers sale.
I'm with ya on the Ruger P89. A good gun for the price. For CC I like my little Kel-Tec P11

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Those who like the SIG 229 might also consider the Bersa.

Mine is 13+1; I carry a 17+1 spare mag.

I also have a Star Firestar in 9mm. Love shooting it, but haven't carried it much because it's heavier than the Bersa.

Tallinthesaddle

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You can get a Ruger 95 on GunBroker.com for $339 delivered. You can throw it out in the yard, run over it in your car, and it will still fire. For the money, it is a top buy. The magazines in the P95 and the P89 interchange if you go with a P89 instead, but add a set of Hogue grips.

yugorpk

imported post

I carry a CZ 2075 Rami P 9mm with 11 rounds of Federal 9BPLE +p+ in it. Its small, light and I dont feel undergunned one bit.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

I have gone through the trouble of trying quite a few carry guns, and although I fell in love with a couple of them(Sig P229 & Beretta 92), they are quite heavy for all day carry.

A compact Glock or 4" XD suits the purpose well.

In the end I choose the Glock 19.

usdm419

imported post

Tallinthesaddle wrote:
You can get a Ruger 95 on GunBroker.com for $339 delivered. You can throw it out in the yard, run over it in your car, and it will still fire. For the money, it is a top buy. The magazines in the P95 and the P89 interchange if you go with a P89 instead, but add a set of Hogue grips.
I 100% agree. My daily carry is a P97, and Ruger just hit it out of the ballpark with the p-series pistols. I feed my P97 anything and everything and haven't had it FTF, jam, EVER. This is after about 1,000+ rounds of ball, FMJ, JHP, reloads, etc.

JBinMontana

imported post

There are many good brands out there for 9mm.

Taurus in either the 92 series to the 24/7 Pro series and Taurus' Unlimited Repair Police for the lifetime of the firearm and FREE NRA membership

Glock in 17, 19 or 26

Springfield XD

Berretta 92

Smith & Wesson

Ruger P89

KAHR

Kel-Tech

Hi-Point

What ever you do find one the fits your hand, and if you can rent one before you buy, rent it and try to see what fits your hand.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Since you already know the real answer (go to a range and try them all), I'll add one of my favorites to the list that's been missed so far. I think the Browning High Power is one of the best natural pointing handguns I've ever used. Now, ignore us all and go have fun!

ghostrider

imported post

Selecting a new gun for carry is more involved than, “just getting one that you like”, or, “one that is recommended”. Of course you must first find a gun that not only fits, but also one that you like. However, if your looking for one that is for EDC then there are other considerations to take into account. I’ve heard people go out and buy a gun that they like, only to complain that it isn’t suited to the role of concealed carry, or at least the type of carry they want to exercise. OTOH, there are people who buy a specific firearm with the intention of OC, only to find it’s difficult finding a suitable holster for both the gun and carry method. Selecting a gun for carry is far more involved than selecting a gun for shooting.

Is it for both concealed, and open carry? Or, is it specifically for one or the other?

If it’s for open carry, then you’ll want to know what types of retention holsters are available for it. You’ll also want to make sure that those holsters are suitable for you.

If it’s for CC, then you’ll not only want to find a good holster, but you’ll also want to ensure (beforehand) that both gun and holster rig are concealable. When I first bought my pistol and holster, I tried them on inside the gun shop with various clothing arrangements to make sure that the gun would conceal. If you’re going to wear Daisy Duke shorts and a halter-top, then it’s probably going to be difficult to conceal a Glock 34, or a full size 1911. Likewise, if you buy a J-Frame with the intention of making it your main carry piece, you may want to look into belt holsters, as well as pocket holsters. Also, if you want to carry IWB, are your pants big enough to accommodate the extra space for both holster and gun?

There are lots of good guns out there. Glocks, S&W, Springfield, HK, Sig, FNH, Colt, Kel-Tec, Stoeger, etc…

If your going to carry it, then find out (before buying) how you’re going to carry it, and if that method will work when put practice. Choosing a gun for any reason (be it carry, or range) is a very personal choice because we all have different needs that must be addressed. There are many good ones out there but just because I prefer one model doesn’t mean it will work for you. Likewise, just because you like shooting a full size Glock, doesn’t mean it will function well as a carry piece for you.

A good example is that you find the GP100 unsuitable for daily carry. Granted, I don’t know what length yours is, but for years they could be seen on many an officer’s hip. You could do a lot worse than having a GP100 to defend yourself with. They are not a bad carry piece per se, but there may be better choices for you.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One bit of clarification. Custom holsters need not be expensive and can be made for any gun in any style you choose. Other than that, what he said.
Well, almost.
I still recommend to folks that haven't carried before that they pick the gun first. The gun preference may determine the carry style.
Cute little ultra-sub-extra-tiny compacts may look appealing and slip right in a change purse but be found wanting in real life. Just like a double-stack auto with an extra-heavy barrel and super-tall match sights in the other direction.
The range of guns you're comfortable holding and firing may assist you in your other decisions.

soloban

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
GLOCK 19 or Kahr K9/P9/CW9 (especially if you have smaller hands). The K9, while somewhat heavy for its smallish size, is a solid, reliable, accurate and ergonomic choice. I have an "Elite" (read: factory polished) version of the K9, and it is my favorite handgun, by far.

Shoot a bunch of 'em before you decide what you want.
I've got a Kahr P9 Covert that I carry.

Pros:
1. Kahr's are light and thin and easy to conceal. In fact, I usually carry mine OWB and just hide it with my jacket or a loose polo shirt.
2. Trigger pull is nice and smooth for a DAO pistol.
3. This pistol would be great for ladies or men with small hands
4. Very easy to dissasemble and clean. I can usually take it apart, clean it and reassemble it in under 5 minutes
5. Can shoot +P ammo

Cons:
1. You wont win any target shooting contests with it but its certainly accurate enough to serve in a CCW role
2. The Kahr's are sensitive to limp wristing and require you to maintain a very firm grip (I understand this is true of most DAO pistols). I've got big hands so I have to concentrate on squeezing the grip.
3. My Kahr hates cheap FMJ ammo (read WWB). It has no problem though with quality JHPs like Remington, Federal, CorBon, etc..
4. Magazines and holsters are a little hard to come by

Leader

imported post

I will agree with everyone that said shoot as many as you can BEFORE you decide.

That being said, I'll offer my Kel_Tec PF-9 and my wife's Bersa .380 (9mm short) for you to try.

Both are about the same size but MUCH different in the felt recoil.

I am in Livingston county & can shoot right here in my back (or front) yard.

superdemon

imported post

Go to a gun store/range that lets you rent guns for the range. Rent different actions, different sizes and configurations. DONT fall into brand loyalty.

Keep it realistic. If you can't afford a $900.00 gun, don't bother renting one. HOwever, keep an open mind, here's why...

I love full-size Glocks, and have a 17 and a 22. I bought a 27 (cimpact .40) figuring I would like it like the full-sized. I was wrong. I hate it. It's poorly balanced, the slide is too long for the gun, and more.I can shoot with it, but it has been relicated to being a back-up weapon only.

On a lark, I bought a Kel-tec p11. I figured I would use it when I went camping/hiking etc, since it was only $200.00 new. If I tore it up, so what? I absolutely love it. I often carry it while the Glocks, the Springfield, and the Taurus stay in the locker. I did have to polish the feed ramp, but I usually do that to all my autos. The Kel=tec wouldn't cycle Ranger ammo if it went a while without cleaning. I polished the ramp, and now it is as reliable as my Glocks.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Most dealers will let you handle various guns and try them out for fit. I did that here in Bellingham and my girlfreind liked that smith and wesson m&p compact 9 it had different grips to adjust size and it is actually nice and compact and damn accurate or she is with it.

RoadKing

imported post

I'm a new first time pistol owner and I got the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact.

Just completed the CC class and it shot extremely well. Not much recoil, and being I never shot a pistol before and considering all 40 required test shots were within a 3" diameter, I am also extremely please with it's accuracy.

I now have about 200 rds through her and not a flaw and all very accurate. I got mine with night sites and I couldn't ask for anything better. I'm sure there are nice pistols out there, but for what I paid and I got the 2 extra 12rd mags (making 4 total) I feel real happy.

FYI-My wife also has shot this and she loves it as well. It was also accurate for her.It's just a good shooting, and appears to be a reliable gun.

JMHO, :lol:

RK

jmlefler

imported post

I went with the Beretta 92FS years ago. I figured if it's good enough as a replacement of the 1911 .45 for our military, it's good enough for me. I relied on the extensive testing of the weapon, cost effectiveness and availability of parts and ammo. With all those Berettas out there, parts could be easily found.

I believe the issue (or non-issue) of the 9mm's effectiveness became moot with the advent of modern personal protection ammo vs. FMJ hardball.

Carry on.