• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

transporting a sword

bb

imported post

My son is currently in advanced training in pksa karate, he is currently in a weapons class training with a sword. how do ulegally transport a sword in a vehicle to and from class? I hope this is not an inproper question in this forum

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I certainly think it would be related to moving a rifle to/from a range, so not totally off-topic.

In general terms the safest answer is to put the sword in the trunk of your car while moving it. Other solutions may involve a hard-sided, non-descriptbag that will hide the outline of the object carried in it and can be slung over your son's shoulder as he walks or bikes to the dojo.

As far as the legality, it is generally accepted that if you may legally posses an object, it is not a crime to transport that object in a vehicle, as long as doing so does not pose a clear danger to others, or cause undue alarm. Obviously, your son should not be waving the sword around walking down the street; that is "brandishing" the weapon, which is either its own charge or cause for arrest on disorderly/deadly conduct. Whether it is legal for your son to wear the sword at his side or on his back in a manner such that he can quickly draw it depends on specific Michigan statutes, and though Michigan is an open carry state, the laws may differ with respect to guns vs blades. Not knowing those statutes, and not being a lawyer, I can't say with any certainty that it's legal, and therefore I would follow one of my two above suggestions depending on how your son gets to practice.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

The best course of action is, of course, to transport the sword in a closed container in the trunk or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, in an area of the vehicle that is inaccessable to the driver or passengers.

MCL750.227. (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk,
stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of
any length, or any dangerous weapon, except a hunting
knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about
his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in
any vehicle... except in his or her dwelling house [or]
place of business... (3) A person who violates this
section is guilty of a felony...

Technically, unless the sword is double edged, the sword appears to be legal within the vehicle, but I WOULD NOT CHANCE IT!!! (I am not a lawyer). The police may/could/probably will attempt to define the sword as any of the items listed here:
Code:
or as listed here, if they think it may be used illegally. You may think, he wouldn't use it illegally but, there are many laws regarding "martial arts" and there may be license requirements for such activities state law.

MCL 750.226... Carrying with unlawful intent
Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully
against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol
or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or
knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any
other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall
be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in
the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine
of not more than 2,500 dollars.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

Wow loaded question. As a officer could see these as a legal issue. It could be seen as a weapon keeped in your car for illegal use.

SoundsStupid but I have seen and heard of this first hand. Base ball bat in back set. Car was a camaroso no trunk.(note also a glove and base ball). Still go a ticket for that one back in High School. judge droped it only cuz my lawyer showed I was on the High School baseball team AND I had perfect grades and record.

You can say I am being crazy or extreme. But it is a fact and can happen. If I was you I would only have it in the car with kid on my way to or from the class. Or keep it at the school?

Michigander

imported post

All I know for sure is if it's double edged, the only way it looks like you can transport it legally is on, not in, the vehicle.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
All I know for sure is if it's double edged, the only way it looks like you can transport it legally is on, not in, the vehicle.
It's funny you say that. Here is what I found on knives. It does say IN A VEHICLE.

750.227. (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument ofany length, or any dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or abouthis or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle... except in his or her dwelling house [or] place of business...

The wording for firearms is in orupon a vehicle. Strange, I guess it's the hunting aspect they are going after, can't hunt or shoot on a vehicle, mainly beds of trucks. So according to the statute you could carry one of these types of knives on your vehicle and you would be complying with the law. But I don't know for sure.

324.40111 Taking animal from in or upon vehicle; transporting or possessing firearm in or upon vehicle; transporting bow in or upon vehicle; written permission to hunt or discharge firearm.