• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About Private Party Sales

njeske

imported post

I have a question about selling a gun private party in Nevada. I have a gun that I'm looking to sell, but the interested party is a California resident. If the person comes to NV to make the purchase, since NV doesn't require the services of an FFL while CA does, is that legal? Any information on the legalities of this sort of transaction would be appreciated.

CowboyKen

imported post

njeske wrote:
I have a question about selling a gun private party in Nevada. I have a gun that I'm looking to sell, but the interested party is a California resident. If the person comes to NV to make the purchase, since NV doesn't require the services of an FFL while CA does, is that legal? Any information on the legalities of this sort of transaction would be appreciated.
IANAL!!! NO NOT LEGAL!!!

My understanding is that Federal law prohibits sales of handguns between parties resident in different states without the services of an FFL. He can come to Nevada and examine the gun. You can take his money, but you must ship to a CA FFL and he must meet all local requirements.

Ken

Gordie

imported post

njeske wrote:
thanks. that's what i thought. i'll probably just end up meeting him at his ffl of choice in CA and letting them handle the transaction there.
Make sure that the gun is legal in California. You would hate to get a weapons charge trying to make a transfer.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Shouldn't have asked him his state residence, but you could always
do the transfer in mexico, where all guns go to meet up with the purchasee.
Just don't get caught, it is on this side only the criminals go free, they don't
have reciprocity.

But I wouldn't trust that buying a gun in CA makes it legal, just the fact you
removed it from the state, and are trying to sneek it back in might be enough
to hang you. The FFL transfer is not going to be more than the gas to drive there.
And now that it is after 12 noon the new your a criminal enterprise starts.

What is the law for a FFL recieving a gun from an out of state resident?
Everything I run accross, only deals with FFL to FFL interstate transfers.

njeske

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Shouldn't have asked him his state residence, but you could always
do the transfer in mexico, where all guns go to meet up with the purchasee.
Just don't get caught, it is on this side only the criminals go free, they don't
have reciprocity.

But I wouldn't trust that buying a gun in CA makes it legal, just the fact you
removed it from the state, and are trying to sneek it back in might be enough
to hang you. The FFL transfer is not going to be more than the gas to drive there.
And now that it is after 12 noon the new your a criminal enterprise starts.

What is the law for a FFL recieving a gun from an out of state resident?
Everything I run accross, only deals with FFL to FFL interstate transfers.
The "legal" i was referring to in my previous post is that the gun is still on the approved for sale list in CA. I wasn't saying that my selling to anyone in CA was legal. I'm making every effort to perform a legal transaction and don't intend to skirt any laws. If it has to be an FFL to FFL transfer, then that's what I'll do.