Thread: So many conflicting messages

Post imported post

Viewing the 'maps' section of this website states that OC in CA is legal in unincorporated areas only. The recent memos from PDs and Sherrif's departments lead me to believe otherwise. I want to OC and I'm otherwise legally able to do so (not a felon, etc), but now I'm not so sure. What's a guy living in downtown LA to do? Move...maybe, but I'm more the kind to stay and fight the good fight. I sure wish I knew for sure what I might face. Any thoughts?

Post imported post

I would go with LASD and LADA's memos until LAPD comes up with their own:

http://www.californiaopencarry.org

LA city falls under jurisdiction of both those agencies. There's plenty of info at the above site to summarize for you what you can and can't do.

Good for you for staying for the fight. Glad to have patriots on my flanks in People's Republik of Kalifornia.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum. Read through some of the threads here, I think you'll find a couple people in LA that open carry.

We have been trying to get the front pages and map updated - I'm a little disappointed with the progress on that, but I'm at least partially to blame for not harassing the admins enough.

IMO, the best one-stop source for CA open carry info is at http://www.californiaopencarry.com.

ETA: Got a phone call while typing my post and someone beat me to the punch. Good work newbie!
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Another California Libertarian? Wow, so rare to spot one, much less TWO!

Thanks for the link. I'm mentally and financially prepared to OC. I sure hope I don't get hassled, but I'm ready if that happens. What I don't want to do is violate some obsure law that I'm not aware of. I'm thinking I should pay to visit an attorney beforehand, get what advice I can, and at least have him ready to go if something unintended does happen. I'm not looking for publicity through an arrest, just to stay within all these laws.

City of Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA

Post imported post

eflatminor wrote:
    Another California Libertarian? Wow, so rare to spot one, much less TWO!

Thanks for the link. I'm mentally and financially prepared to OC. I sure hope I don't get hassled, but I'm ready if that happens. What I don't want to do is violate some obscure law that I'm not aware of. I'm thinking I should pay to visit an attorney beforehand, get what advice I can, and at least have him ready to go if something unintended does happen. I'm not looking for publicity through an arrest, just to stay within all these laws.
    The front page is correct as relating to LOADED handgun open carry. To keep things straight and otherwise equal on a national level map the owners of the site define OC to mean the Loaded open carry of ahandgun only.

Please don't rush into UOCing. Find an UOC buddy. You might have been lurking here for two years and know everything needed to do a successful peaceful uneventful Ca UOC outing. But please make sure you do and that includes a recording device, friendly witnesses, and a conversational knowledge of the codes etc...and $5000 for starters.

Look up Theseus he's in your neighborhood I think.

Welcome and good luck.

Post imported post

eflatminor wrote:
    Viewing the 'maps' section of this website states that OC in CA is legal in unincorporated areas only. The recent memos from PDs and Sherrif's departments lead me to believe otherwise. I want to OC and I'm otherwise legally able to do so (not a felon, etc), but now I'm not so sure. What's a guy living in downtown LA to do? Move...maybe, but I'm more the kind to stay and fight the good fight. I sure wish I knew for sure what I might face. Any thoughts?
    The maps are dealing with "OC" as the abbreviation is used in the majority of the nation.

OCmeans Openly Carrying a Loaded Handgun.

With the screwy laws in CA we are forced to differentiate by using LOC for Loaded Open Carry, and UOC for Unloaded Open Carry

Therefore, "OC" as used on the maps means "Loaded Open Carry" and LOC is only allowed in areas of unincorporated territory where the discharge of firearms isn't prohibited by law.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The only real threat to OC in California is 626.9.

The best thing you can do now is come to the OC dinner planned to help my legal defense fund. It is being made into a fund raiser AND OC dinner.

You will meet other supporters of our cause and since the restaurant is within a school zone, but is exempt from 626.9 it will be a great show against the....um...incorrect interpretation of 626.9 in Alhambra.