• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A shooting in Montana, CCW involved

JBinMontana

imported post

This is not to say that some one could not have handled this while OCing, it's just his happened as a result of someone carrying. This could have been far worse for everyone there at the Glasgow Hospital.

A shooting in Montana, CCW involved!

Flash report - Glasgow shooting incident‏
Sent: Sun 1/18/09 12:24 PM
To: mssa@mtssa.org
Confirmed: There was a shooting incident in Glasgow, Montana on
Saturday afternoon. Besides the shooter, one person was killed and
two were injured. Police locked down the community, warned people to
lock doors and stay inside, and followed a blood trail which
eventually led to the deceased shooter.

Unconfirmed but probable: The shooter made his attack at a local
hospital and killed a female Emergency Medical Technician. Scott
Billingsly was present because his wife works at the hospital. Scott
has a Montana concealed weapon permit, was armed, and engaged the
shooter in defense of himself and others. Scott was injured in the
hand and Scott's wife was also injured. The shooter was seriously
injured and was driven off by Scott's armed engagement of the
shooter. The seriously wounded shooter sought shelter, leaving the
blood trail that law enforcement followed, where they found the
shooter dead of a possibly self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The people of Glasgow who know these details are highly thankful that
an armed citizen was present and able to interdict the killer before
he could kill more than the one person murdered, possibly saving the
lives of many other hospital employees.

Gary Marbut, president
Montana Shooting Sports Association
http://www.mtssa.org
author, Gun Laws of Montana
http://www.mtpublish.com
406-549-1252

JBinMontana

imported post

lucas_flesher wrote:
What does MSSA have to do with this, There is no mention of it on there website?

http://www.kltz.com/php/news.php

Lucas I think Gary Marbut wanted all the rest of us to know that a private citizen got involved. This is how the police were able to follow the blood trail as discribed in news accounts:

http://www.officer.com/online/articl...ion=1&id=45048

By MATTHEW BROWN
Associated Press Writer

GLASGOW, Mont. --

Authorities were investigating Sunday the link between a shooting suspect and the woman he allegedly killed outside a hospital.

The suspect also wounded two people who came to the victim's aid late Saturday. Officers found him after following a trail of blood, and the suspect was killed in a shooting involving police. Police declined to specify who was responsible.

The man's identity has not been released. No other suspects were being sought, Valley County Sheriff Glenn Meier said Sunday.

At least 50 federal and local agents using tracker dogs followed the suspect to a house just south of town late Saturday, sheriff's spokeswoman Samar Fay said.

Melissa Greenhagen, a 37-year-old part-time emergency medical technician, was fatally shot outside Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital late Saturday afternoon. The gunman also fired on a hospital nurse and her husband, who went to assist the technician. Those victims were in stable condition, hospital spokesman Nickolas Dirkes said.

Identities of the two injured victims have not been released, but residents said word had spread about those involved.

"Everybody knew who was killed and everybody knew who was hurt," said Marie Penderson, a bartender who said she was an acquaintance of the victims. "We were all saying she couldn't be dead. We refused to believe it."

The gunman was not believed to be a current or former hospital employee, authorities said.

"This has shocked all of us. Glasgow is place you feel comfortable raising your family," said Randy Holom, chief executive of the hospital.

Meier and Glasgow Police Chief Lynn Erickson said it was the first homicide in the Glasgow area in more than a decade.

During the manhunt, the hospital and a basketball game at the high school gym were locked down, and all roads into the town were blockaded for about five hours. Trains along the BNSF railway also were suspended until the suspect was found. People were told to stay at home and lock their doors.

Glasgow is a primarily agricultural community of about 3,500 residents in northeastern Montana, about 50 miles south of the Canadian border.

carracer

imported post

My prayers are to those involved and their families.

Please post follow up information on this incident. If indeed the proposed scenario is what happened it would be of great service to our 2nd Amendment and all of it's supporters to know the facts.

MT GUNNY

imported post

So Far not one Report has said the CCer shot the Suspect. So How did Gary Marbut Find out? I'm not saying I don't Believe it, But I would like to see it in Writing.

JBinMontana

imported post

lucas_flesher wrote:
So Far not one Report has said the CCer shot the Suspect. So How did Gary Marbut Find out? I'm not saying I don't Believe it, But I would like to see it in Writing.
Lucas, Gary and I both from our connections with law enforcement and we doget inside information. Gary was just more forthcoming about it. I really don't know if it was such a good idea identifying the guy who carried or not. I know if it were me that returned fire on this dirt bag, I probably wound not have wanted it in the news.

three_horseshoes

imported post

I live near Glasgow and was there getting groceries the other day. From what I heard, they are saying nothing until the county coroner investigation is complete and in front of a coroner's jury.

However, I do know this:

Scott Billingsly did shoot the suspect. He was going to get his shotgun out of the truck and his wife said no. That's when he was shot in the hand and his wife was shot again. Doctors were running out, but there was so much gunfire they had to run back in.

The hospital is practically on total lock down from 5:30 pm to 7:00 am. You have to present your ID and sign in after hours. (was there at the lab the other day, so it's on all the doors).

Had to get my hair cut while there and the lady doing my hair lives by Scott, she said he was limping pretty bad and again stated the police are mum about anything. She said her next appointment is the daughter of the victim (Melissa) and she used to do Melissa's hair every Friday.

The daughter was coming in while I was heading out of the salon. I didn't say anything to her, but I did smile. I figured that she is so overwhelmed at the moment and needs some breathing room. Poor thing is in high school.

I have heard..I don't know this is true or not, that this guy had little camps around the hospital and had somewhere up to 250 rounds.

Justice in my book. Worthless scum.

Elkad

imported post

Great Falls Tribune http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090121/NEWS01/901210310/1002/news01

The second prevalent rumor spreading across the Internet states that Scott Billingsley returned fire at the shooter before police arrived.

The story was largely circulated by Gary Marbut, a Missoula man who is president of the Montana Shooting Sports Association. Marbut said he heard the stories second- and third-hand from fellow shooting association members, including one whose wife has ties to Glasgow.

"I don't have anything that was confirmed. I do have these bits and pieces that are dribbling in," Marbut said Tuesday. "I guess you could say I have an ax to grind. I would like to see Billingsley's role brought to light."

Fay said officers won't refute the claims point-by-point, but generally have dismissed the rumor.
Hmm. Maybe Scott doesn't want his CCW status in the paper? Maybe the cops are just keeping their mouths shut?

r6-rider

imported post

anyone who shoots an EMT is going straight to hell. glad the CCer got this guy