• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill Introduced to House of Representitives to Repeal the 22nd Amendment

Eagleeye

imported post

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.J.Res.5:

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual... (Introduced in House)

HJ 5 IH

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. J. RES. 5

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 6, 2009

Mr. SERRANO introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

JOINT RESOLUTION

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

`Article--

`The twenty-second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.'.

They have to be crazy to even consider proposing this.:uhoh:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

demnogis wrote:
If they can vote to repeal one important amendment such as this, what is going to stop them from repealing more that assure our inalienable rights?

See Article V of the US Constitution.

They have a ways to go before they can "repeal" our unalienable rights. Not saying they can't do other things that undermine them.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articlev.html

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, they can introduce it. I doubt they will get 2/3 of both houses to vote for it and am pretty confident that they won't get 3/4 of the states to ratify it even if they did. Now that landscape may be entirely different by 2010 if the GOP leadership continues down its current path but for now, I'm not too worried about this one. However, symbolically its introduction says a lot and if it does come up for a vote in either chamber, that voting record will also tell us a lot.

Deanimator

imported post

Tomorrow, Serrano's going to introduce legislation creating the position of "Consul", buying Obama a horse, and appointing it to that post...

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

This guy probably made a bunch of BS promises during his last run for office and tacked them all on this proposal, knowing well that it was the proverbial snowball in hell. This way he can blame the Republicans for denying the people of their right to live without working. This is scary, but unlikely. Then again...

Eagleeye

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Maybe I should get those bifocals. I thought the title was "to repeal 2nd Amendment" and about had a %^$* hemmorhage.
Sorry, perhaps I Should have titled it differently....

AllAmerican

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
This guy probably made a bunch of BS promises during his last run for office and tacked them all on this proposal, knowing well that it was the proverbial snowball in hell. This way he can blame the Republicans for denying the people of their right to live without working. This is scary, but unlikely. Then again...

Lets not take any chances and contact our reps on every legislative issue such as this.

I will. I have.

We have to do it every time to show them we mean business and our numbers are there.

darthmord

imported post

From what I understand (via my grandfather years ago) term limits on the Presidency was because Franklin D. Roosevelt was too popular with the People for Congress' liking. I suppose being up for a 4th term would do that.

What I'd really like to see is term limits on Congress. A maximum of 6 terms for Representatives (since they have 2 year terms) and a maximum of 2 terms for Senators (since they serve for 6 year terms).

Or simply make Congressional term limits such that after certain number of terms in office, you cannot serve in that office again until the same amount of time has passed. Thus a Senator with 2 terms under the aforementioned limits would have to wait 12 years before running for election again.

Regardless of how it is done, Congress needs a bit of reining in done to their power.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Serrano#Political_positions

On November 18, 2005, he was one of three votes in favor of immediate withdrawal of American troops from Iraq. The other two votes were from Cynthia McKinney of Georgia and Robert Wexler of Florida.[3]

In each of 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009, Serrano introduced a joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the 22nd Amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as president. Each resolution, with the exception of the current one, died without ever getting past the committee.[4]

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Serrano#Political_positions

On November 18, 2005, he was one of three votes in favor of immediate withdrawal of American troops from Iraq. The other two votes were from Cynthia McKinney of Georgia and Robert Wexler of Florida.[3]

In each of 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009, Serrano introduced a joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the 22nd Amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as president. Each resolution, with the exception of the current one, died without ever getting past the committee.[4]
Thus proving my point that he adds all his re-election BS promises to a bill that will not pass just so he can say he tried, but "we'll get 'em next time!"

SlackwareRobert

imported post

You aren't even looking at the big picture here.

If those 9 illiterates can't read, what makes anyone think they can count also?
You write an amendment to repeal #20, and those morons will argue it also repeals
#2 since it is part of number 20.
No untill we have an amendment to protect america from the SCOTUS,
you don't dare ever add a new one to the constitution.

Even the most benign worded one would end up killing us.
Look at the flag burning amendment that would have made cars unconstitutional.

The closest thing to an amendment we need is a new one to return powers to the states,
maybe worded like #10 but in english this time.