• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Library of Virginia?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

IMO - the intent of this sign is simply to restrict legally carrying citizens from entering under color of law.

We can argue the verbiage as long as we will but it does not change the effect.

Such signs as this do nothing to stop the criminal; neither do they protect the staff nor the public - it must go.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

TFred wrote:
It's the "or other weapons" that concerns me. Legal guns are obviously "other weapons".

No, it's "No illegal guns or other (illegal) weapons".

Still, it was obviously written by someone with a.... loose grasp of the English language.

.... or a political agenda.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

The effort is appreciated, but the head of the Capitol Police has no control over that sign. Her officers provide police services to the library, that's all. The Libraries management controls the premises (and sign) - and they are the ones to whom letters should be addressed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
The effort is appreciated, but the head of the Capitol Police has no control over that sign. Her officers provide police services to the library, that's all. The Libraries management controls the premises (and sign) - and they are the ones to whom letters should be addressed.
The letter may generate some dialog from that end but your point is well taken. Will try to locate head honcho of library this evening.

Yata hey

leprechaun117

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
nova wrote:
If it means a firearm that is illegal to possess, isn't that already against the law? Why would the law not apply inside the library?
Yes, I think that is what it means. The purpose of such a sign follows the same reasoning as many other 'no guns' signs: it is put up in an attempt to discourage people from illegally carrying.

Since criminals are only willing to illegally carry in places that don't warn them not to... Oh the logic.

(Not directed at you.... Directed at the people who make these wonderful signs.)