• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Library of Virginia?

TFred

imported post

From VCDL Lobby Day, I went across the street to the Library of Virginia for lunch today. They have an awesome little "hole in the wall" (almost literally) deli just off the lobby.

As I went in the front doors, I couldn't help but notice their little sign, pictured below.

Isn't this a public building?

TFred

Mayday

imported post

Who was the idiot that made-up that sign? Might as well put one up saying "No Naughty Stuff in the Library".

As long as your gun is not "illegal"...I guess you're within the law.

TFred

imported post

Mayday wrote:
Who was the idiot that made-up that sign? Might as well put one up saying "No Naughty Stuff in the Library".

As long as your gun is not "illegal"...I guess you're within the law.
It's the "or other weapons" that concerns me. Legal guns are obviously "other weapons".

The question is, does preemption apply to the Library of Virginia? If so, then someone needs some educating. If not, then someone needs some legislating!

TFred

kenny

imported post

I go there often for research at least once a week. I've never seen that sign before. Of course I am not doing anything illegal or carrying anything illegal at the time.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

The sign has been there for at leasta fewyears. I open carry there fairly regularly. It is just a tricky, bureacratic sign. Almost meaningless. First of all, your gun is not an "illegal gun". Secondly, localities and entitiesmay lawfully ban "other weapons". Pre-emption appliesonly to firearms.

Virginia USED to have a "Concealed Weapons Permit", but it was changed to a "concealede HANDGUNPermit

rady8um

imported post

The sign clearly (imho)excludes legal firearms. If the intention of the sign was to prohibit all firearms, there would be no point inspecifying illegal ones and all other weapons. If it is meant to prohibit all guns,it should read: No guns or other weapons permitted.

sccrref

imported post

IANAL but I read it to mean you can carry legal guns. You cannot carry illegal guns or any other weapons. If they did not want any weapons in the place, then they would have made a sign that said no weapons permitted. The sign clearly seperates guns from other types of weapons.

TFred

imported post

So at best, it's just confusing enough to dissuade people who are not acutely aware of their rights from carrying in the library. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. As close to the line as they can get and still be within the letter of the law.

I am not an English teacher, nor a lawyer, but I do read specifications for a living, and to me, it describes two types of items: "illegal guns", which includes all the various types of firearms that are illegal, and "other weapons of any kind", which includes any weapon that is not an "illegal gun". I think the concept of "are allowed" is simple enough, and as a native English speaker, I read this sign, and I honestly believe it is telling me that I am not allowed to bring any gun into the building.

This is worse than the National Park rule change which requires your firearm to be concealed, loaded and operable, in order to be legal!

Why isn't there a law which requires proper English!?

TFred

ETAdd and clarify.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
...SNIP
I am not an English teacher, nor a lawyer,
Neither was the person who wrote the sign.

IF it is a public facility where weapons are not otherwise prohibited, Ignore it if you are from out of town. If you live in Richmond please work on having the sign removed because ti it not legit. We can start writing out reps from out here in the hinterlands.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
The sign has been there for at leasta fewyears. I open carry there fairly regularly. It is just a tricky, bureacratic sign. Almost meaningless. First of all, your gun is not an "illegal gun". Secondly, localities and entitiesmay lawfully ban "other weapons". Pre-emption appliesonly to firearms.

Virginia USED to have a "Concealed Weapons Permit", but it was changed to a "Concealed HANDGUNPermit

The language clearly leaves something to be desired. I first saw the small, almost hidden sign years ago. Nonetheless, open carry is not a problem at the Library of Virginia.

The Capitol Police patrol and are responsible for the Library of Virginia. As we all know, they are among the better informed among law enforcement

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
The Capitol Police patrol and are responsible for the Library of Virginia. As we all know, they are among the better informed among law enforcement
Aaah the Capital Police again - looks like its time for another letter to the Chief.

Yata hey

GWRedDragon

imported post

Personally, I think this sign is pretty good. Perhaps it could be more clear but to me it reads that legal guns are allowed. Otherwise the word 'illegal' would be pointless.

MUCH better to have this than to have an invalid 'no guns' sign!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Personally, I think this sign is pretty good. Perhaps it could be more clear but to me it reads that legal guns are allowed. Otherwise the word 'illegal' would be pointless.

Neither one is acceptable. The impression in this case to the uninitiated is that guns aren't allowed = color of law.

Either we have state preemption or we do not. It does not come in varying degrees.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:

Neither one is acceptable. The impression in this case to the uninitiated is that guns aren't allowed = color of law.

Either we have state preemption or we do not. It does not come in varying degrees.

Yata hey
Exactly my thoughts. No matter what you think it says, if a LEO tells you that they think it means you shouldn't have carried a gun in the Library, then you are going to be in trouble, and as noted, this is unacceptable. Preemption was not put in place to allow confusing signs and policies, it was put in place to eliminate them!

TFred

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
you have already established a cordial correspondence with the Chief.
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
TFred wrote:
you have already established a cordial correspondence with the Chief.
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif
Have definitely established a relationship that probably begins with "Oh no, not him again" when she sees the return address.

Did get a response and desired correction from previous correspondence - even though her reply was intentionally vague and generic.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:

The question is, what is an "illegal" gun? An unregistered post-86 machine gun in civilian hands? No, the gun is legal, it's just illegal for you to possess it. A gun with the S/N scratched off? Nope. It's illegal for you to scratch/deface the S/N or possess one with the S/N in such condition.

So...what the heck is an "illegal gun"? If it means a firearm that is illegal to possess, isn't that already against the law? Why would the law not apply inside the library?

GWRedDragon

imported post

nova wrote:
If it means a firearm that is illegal to possess, isn't that already against the law? Why would the law not apply inside the library?
Yes, I think that is what it means. The purpose of such a sign follows the same reasoning as many other 'no guns' signs: it is put up in an attempt to discourage people from illegally carrying.