Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in Roanoke (Wendy's)

Post imported post

A friend and I were open carrying at the Wendy’s Restaurant in Roanoke, VA. Nothing out of the ordinary took place while we were there. We walked in, ordered our food, ate and left. The only noteworthy thing that happened was that our food took twenty minutes to prepare. Horrible service

As we were pulling out of the drive I see a cop in the parking lot behind us. I look over my shoulder and he is creeping across the parking lot with his gun drawn. He is headed toward the side entrance, gun still drawn but, behind his back so that the patrons of the restaurant could not see. He heads past the side door and goes toward the back of the building. Before he turns the corner he raises and points his gun as if there were bandits awaiting him around the corner. We head back into the parking lot, still in the car and drive around the building. Once we make it all the way around we see the cop inside talking to Wendy’s management.

My friend and I aren’t sure what Wendy’s told the police to make them react in such a way but, our guess is it went something like “There are two guys here with guns. Come quick.”

If we had stayed inside Wendy’s a few more moments, we would have been at gun point.

Post imported post

NLHopkins wrote:
    A friend and I were open carrying at the Wendy’s Restaurant in Roanoke, VA. Nothing out of the ordinary took place while we were there. We walked in, ordered our food, ate and left. The only noteworthy thing that happened was that our food took twenty minutes to prepare. Horrible service

As we were pulling out of the drive I see a cop in the parking lot behind us. I look over my shoulder and he is creeping across the parking lot with his gun drawn. He is headed toward the side entrance, gun still drawn but, behind his back so that the patrons of the restaurant could not see. He heads past the side door and goes toward the back of the building. Before he turns the corner he raises and points his gun as if there were bandits awaiting him around the corner. We head back into the parking lot, still in the car and drive around the building. Once we make it all the way around we see the cop inside talking to Wendy’s management.

My friend and I aren’t sure what Wendy’s told the police to make them react in such a way but, our guess is it went something like “There are two guys here with guns! Come quick!”

If we had stayed inside Wendy’s a few more moments, we would have been at gun point.
    :whatamn! Did you ask them to custom-make you a burger or something -- I know the Wendy's near me hates to modify the orders.

Post imported post

So in this case, when seconds count, the police are about twenty minutes away?

Fun.

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

NLHopkins wrote:
    SNIP My friend and I aren’t sure what Wendy’s told the police to make them react in such a way but, our guess is it went something like “There are two guys here with guns! Come quick!”

Welcome to OCDO!!!

Which Wendy's?

Date and time?

No need to stay in the dark about it. Just send a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for the 911 call recording. While you are at it, you can request the incident report the officer made, if any, and the radio traffic recordings.

I would recommend finding out what happened. OCers in Roanoke don't need guns pointed at them.

If you need help making a FOIA request, there are members here willing to help.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Sounds like they were stalling for time. They wanted to wait for the Cops to come before you left, so that's why they took so long to make the food. Or, maybe that had nothing to do with it and they just took really long for no reason at all.

Post imported post

Not knowing what jurisdiction you were in (you said Roanoke) it could have been the city, county, Salem, Vinton or others. I don't think any of those I mention would send an officer in alone. Most likely the first officer would have waited for a back-up.

The reason for wait, geez it's Wendy's how fast do you think minimum wagers work?

Post imported post

This is the adress of the Wendys

Wendys Old Fashioned Hamburgers
    3555 Orange Ave NE
    Roanoke, VA 24012
    (540) 982-5652

We were there at about 8pm at night, I believe. Could have been a little bit earlier.

Post imported post

wendy's down here in Norfolk was very speedy and I even got the whole staff involved in a conversation about open carry Hopefully your next experience goes better

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

NLHopkins wrote:
    This is the adress of the Wendys

3555 Orange Ave NE
    Roanoke, VA 24012
    (540) 982-5652

We were there at about 8pm at night, I believe. Could have been a little bit earlier.
    Just need the date and you're good to go on your FOIA request.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

December 20 is when we went.

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    wendy's down here in Norfolk was very speedy and I even got the whole staff involved in a conversation about open carry Hopefully your next experience goes better
    How did you have a conversation with them? I've never heard a Wendy's employee that speaks English.

Post imported post

There aren't many Latino people down here just mainly African American. The one guy was very nice but did say that he didn't exactly shoot legally

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I've had one of those too but it was at a Chipotle on W. Broad near Short Pump.

Post imported post

Mayday wrote:
    :whatamn! Did you ask them to custom-make you a burger or something -- I know the Wendy's near me hates to modify the orders.
    They aren't Burger King, you can't have it your way...

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

NLHopkins wrote: [quote]This is the adress of the Wendys

3555 Orange Ave NE[url=" target=_parent jstcache=][/url]
    Roanoke, VA 24012
    (540) 982-5652

[/quote]
    [font="comic sans ms"]Orange Ave is a rough part of town, good reason to have a firearm. SIL used to be a manager for Wendys in Roanoke. [/font]

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

So, are NLHopkins and Leaker going to be sending a FOIA request to find out what the cops were told and why the OP came within a whisker of having a gun pointed at them?

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    How did you have a conversation with them? I've never heard a Wendy's employee that speaks English.
    Not speaking English?!? At Wendy's?!?

(...runs off to google where "Centreville" is)

Post imported post

NLHopkins wrote:
    As we were pulling out of the drive I see a cop... creeping across the parking lot with his gun drawn. He is headed toward the side entrance, gun still drawn but, behind his back so that the patrons of the restaurant could not see. He heads past the side door and goes toward the back of the building. Before he turns the corner he raises and points his gun as if there were bandits awaiting him around the corner.
    Bwah-hah-ha-hah-ha-hah-ha-hah-ha-hah-ha!!!!!!

Post imported post

Just a thought here... while this may seem (and it might actually be) amusing on the surface, I would bet my bottom dollar that the LEO in the story was not laughing at the time.

IMHO, the blame here goes to the dispatcher who took the call, for not discerning the facts of the case. We can't know the details without gathering the evidence, i.e. 911 recording, and dispatch logs, etc., but from the description, the LEO was just doing his job, apparently unaware of the circumstances he had been called on to answer.

I think it is of paramount importance that we continue efforts to not only educate the LEOs but the support structure behind them as well, on what is and is not appropriate behavior for law abiding citizens in Virginia.

If for no other reason, that is why the folks involved should seek out the evidence, so that steps can be taken to avoid a potential tragedy in the future.

JMHO...

TFred

Post imported post

Man with a gun call and they only sent one officer? Was either a busy night or they missed the training class at Manassas PD.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Just a thought here... while this may seem (and it might actually be) amusing on the surface, I would bet my bottom dollar that the LEO in the story was not laughing at the time.

IMHO, the blame here goes to the dispatcher who took the call, for not discerning the facts of the case. We can't know the details without gathering the evidence, i.e. 911 recording, and dispatch logs, etc., but from the description, the LEO was just doing his job, apparently unaware of the circumstances he had been called on to answer.

I think it is of paramount importance that we continue efforts to not only educate the LEOs but the support structure behind them as well, on what is and is not appropriate behavior for law abiding citizens in Virginia.

If for no other reason, that is why the folks involved should seek out the evidence, so that steps can be taken to avoid a potential tragedy in the future.

JMHO...

TFred
    TFred, my friend and I came to the same conclusion. Sounds like the 911 dispatcher just heard "guns" and sent an officer.

Agreed.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Not speaking English?!? At Wendy's?!?

(...runs off to google where "Centreville" is)

5 miles north of mexinassas.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

JMHO...

TFred
    +1, ABSOLUTELY!

Post imported post

We're checking into what it would take to get the recordings/transcripts. Has anyone filed one of these before? It looks like the cost is based on how long it takes what kind of researcher to get the information. I wouldn't think it would take long, or the top paid researcher, but I wonder what they say it would take.

Anyone have an idea of the cost?

Thanks

Post imported post

Usually you only have to pay for FOIA requests if they have to make a lot of copies or go to an extraordinary amount of work. Just send a letter to their station and request the information under the Freedom of Information Act. Provide as much info as possible, i.e. date, time, location, etc. Indicate in your letter that you will pay up to $20 or so for postage, copies, etc and ask them to call you if your request will cost more.

I'm sure they can pull tapes of 911 calls and radio traffic fairly quickly since I'm sure they do it all the time for the courts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast