• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not gun related but I'm hoping one of you guys may know

hometheaterman

imported post

This is in VA. I got a ticket a while back in a vehicle registered to my mother for the window tint being too dark. It has since been removed. This isn't my first tint ticket just the first one I've planned to go to court for. Anyway, it's been removed and should be dropped according to the court house and the officer if I bring in pictures. Well, that's what I was planning to do however, here is where things get bad. I started getting sick tonight and have a fever and just feel like crap. Being that my court date is in the morning I'm worried I won't be able to make it. Hoping I will but worried. So the court is already closed tonight so I can't call and prepay the ticket and since my court date is at 9AM tomorrow I'm doubting I can call in the morning to pre pay. If I can't make it to court what will happen? Is there anything I can do? At this point I'm ready to just pay the ticket so I don't have to leave the house tomorrow unless it's to go to the doctor.

Another question is my mother said she would go if I wanted her to. The vehicle is in her name so it's technically her vehicle. However, the ticket is in my name. Will they let her do that? Basically what can I do here besides just not showing up and having a big fine to pay and possibly getting my license suspended?

Should I just take a lot of medicine and hope it gets me through the time at the court?

Goliath

imported post

If you don't show or prepay, the judge will probably issue a capias or a show cause. You may still be able to go online and pay it that way. Or call the clerk first thing in the morning. I don't know about the court there, but the clerk where I work is in her office at 8. Your milage may vary.

Goliath

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am not a lawyer, and you should get advice from one.

You really only have a few choices. The "Ticket" is actually a summons and when you signed it you agreed to either appear in court or pay. There is a date certain before your court date by which you must pay, and that has already passed. So you either have to show, get a lawyer to show and move for a continuance, or wait for the court to issue a warrant for you for not showing. You might be able to get the clerk to take payment but don't count on it.

If it were me, I would take the meds, fill my pockets with more meds, and get to the courthouse.

rebfan

imported post

I would try at all costs to get to the Court. My neighbor received a ticket for the same, had it removed, showed the receipt to the Judge and did not have to pay the ticket.

Highlander

imported post

With tomorrow being a holiday, I would think the courts are closed. Call the clerk's office and maybe they have a recorded message with this information. If the courts are open, you are allowed one continuance.Tell the clerk's office you are sick and the judge should continue it to the officer's next court date.

eyesopened

imported post

You may want to go to court for this. IANAL, but I once gota speeding ticket that I thought I had paid through the mail. I didn't watch my checking account and never noticed that the funds were removed. I got busy and it never crossed my mind. I bought a new car and the dealership tried to transfer my plates to the new vehicle but there was a block on my DMV account. I turned out that the court never got my check, so they went through the court proceedings without me (I didn't show 'cause I thought I had paid it). So they found me guilty (No suprise since I wasn't there to defend myself right). They ended up suspending my license without my knowledge. So I had to pay the fine and late charges, and then also pay to get my license unsuspended. All 'cause I bought a new car ;) You would think they would have tried to contact me before suspending my license, but I guess that was too much trouble.

I'm pretty glad I found out before I got another ticket and then the cop would have cited me for driving with a suspended license.

Highlander

imported post

NOTE: Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009, falls on a Tuesday. An employee who works in the District of Columbia, Montgomery or Prince George's Counties in Maryland, Arlington or Fairfax Counties in Virginia, or the cities of Alexandria or Falls Church in Virginia, and who is regularly scheduled to perform nonovertime work on Inauguration Day, is entitled to a holiday. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(c).) There is no in-lieu-of-holiday for employees who are not regularly scheduled to work on Inauguration Day.

* This holiday is designated as "Washington’s Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

** July 4, 2009 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, July 3, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).)
http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2009.asp

Tomorrow is a holiday for some....

richarcm

imported post

I would get to the court early and ask the clerk if you can either prepay or ask for a continuance prior to the hearing. Being that you are sick and you showed up early in person they may be willing to give you options. Either way...you really should go...sick or not.

Due to having been to court for driving violations more times that I care to remember....my experience is if you are respectful and polite the people of the courthouse will try to work with you the best that they can.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
This is in VA. I got a ticket a while back in a vehicle registered to my mother for the window tint being too dark. It has since been removed. This isn't my first tint ticket just the first one I've planned to go to court for. Anyway, it's been removed and should be dropped according to the court house and the officer if I bring in pictures. Well, that's what I was planning to do however, here is where things get bad. I started getting sick tonight and have a fever and just feel like crap. Being that my court date is in the morning I'm worried I won't be able to make it. Hoping I will but worried. So the court is already closed tonight so I can't call and prepay the ticket and since my court date is at 9AM tomorrow I'm doubting I can call in the morning to pre pay. If I can't make it to court what will happen? Is there anything I can do? At this point I'm ready to just pay the ticket so I don't have to leave the house tomorrow unless it's to go to the doctor.

Another question is my mother said she would go if I wanted her to. The vehicle is in her name so it's technically her vehicle. However, the ticket is in my name. Will they let her do that? Basically what can I do here besides just not showing up and having a big fine to pay and possibly getting my license suspended?

Should I just take a lot of medicine and hope it gets me through the time at the court?
I would call and see if I could get a delay. If not, just go puke on the judge. "see judge? Exibit A - I AM sick!"

hometheaterman

imported post

Well, I took some medicine and am feeling better right now. Not sure if it's from the medicine or if I'm getting better but I made it to court just fine and got it all taken care of.

IanB

imported post

Here's my knowledge on the subject:

You may pre-pay but it must be completed 2 days prior to summons date

2 days out pre-payment option is removed from courts website

I missed my hearing date, so I was found guilty in absentia. I had 14 days to pay ticket or warrant would be issued.

I live in Ffx co so I went to the gov website and retrieved the phone payment number. Called the number (have case number handy) and payed with credit card.

Problem solved.

In your case, I would STILL go to court and make my case.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I went to the gov website and retrieved the phone payment number. Called the number (have case number handy) and payed with credit card.
SNIP...
I just knew you were a criminal. The way you harassed the MMM and freaked out their speakers... I just knew it.
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif