• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry t shirt idea

jacobsk

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hello everyone,

I dont post here often (if ever, I can't remember) but I do lurk without postingkeeping up on WI current events...

I spend most of my free time over at http://www.ar15.com...

Last night I posted an idea thatmight be able to helpin an Open Carry march:

In my opinion,one of the largest probems with the organization of succesful open carry marches is that everyone feels comfortable carrying in a different situation, myself included.Some peope will only carry with a large group (100+) maybe a differentnumber will only participate with only a small group, maybe a few will not carry when the police have been notfied, ect... so it's practically impossible to keep an accurate number on who will do what when there is no baseline definition for an Open Carry march.

I figured the shirt would be a good thing in this situation, if someone didnt wish to carry a real firearm, and they still participated wearing the shirt, it would appear to the media and whoever else saw it that they were indeed carrying, which is the goal of the event.

I you had a significant number of people actually carrying, intermingled with people wearing the shirts (different firearms and or different holsters are a possability) the march could gain extra effect.

What i see being a big deterant ofmost people is the risk/reward ratio of the event, with shirts like this used in addition to a succesful march you will gain reward withot any added risk.

-Kyle

origional discussions at AR15.com:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=341798

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=70249

jefferson 4 prez

imported post

Brilliant. Please do it I will definitely buy one.

Edit: Just an idea, you could also reference this website somewhere on the shirt if you wanted. People that wanted to find out more info would know where to go.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Here's an idea for those of you who want to DO something:

Contact your county board supervisors and re-submit the resolution.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17914&forum_id=57

Press them to act on it. If they refuse, catch them after a meeting, with video camera running, and ask them why you/me/we have no rights. Then post their answers on You-Tube.

The cost is almost non-existent and because you were asking a question about rights, and did so without a firearm, if they try to quash you that would be a violation of your first (1st) amendment rights.

Will you start by taking this first unarmed stand?

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wanted to bump this thread a bit..

i have emailed a t shirt printer with this shirt idea.. and wanted to see what kind of response i would get..

im not looking to make any money off of these shirts! its not my design or anything anyway..

now the questions is.. how many do you want? and what sizes?
ill email the printer with the numbers and see what kind of deal we can get..
all i ask is that you pay for the shirt.. nothing more.. and if anyone out there is good with photoshop and wants to make a different/better shirt.. PLEASE DO!
i would like to get the website listed on there.. and also i think the gun may need to be changed/removed to get it to work for the printer. he said he usually deals with vector images (.psd for you guys in the know) ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME!

my hope is that even for those of you who dont carry for whatever reason can still get the word out with a t shirt. (and also look cool at the picnic :) )

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will take 4 Shirts 2XL long& tall ( i will pay the extra )

You might want to have these printed on either heavy cotton pre shrunk or 50/50 cotton, polyester..... the cheap shirts shrink

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i plan on using the 100% cotton t's for printing on them.. the cheap shirts tend to wear very quickly. so far its mostly men who are wanting the shirts... they do make different shirts for females if you are interested. also, all i asked about are white shirts if anyone wants a different color im sure that can be done..

im still waiting on hearing back about pricing and what kind of discount we can get for ordering bulk. and working with jacobsk on getting the design to the printer so he can get everything in order.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i recieved a reply from the printer!
sorry its in caps.. i just cut and pasted:

PRINTING THE FLAG AND BACK OF THE SHIRT IS NOT A PROBLEM.THERE'S A $20 SCREEN CHARGE FOR EVERY COLOR. THEN I CHARGE BY HOW MANY SHIRTS I DO. THE MORE YOU GET THE LESS I CHARGE.THE PROBLEM I'M SEEING IS THE GUN. I ASSUMING YOU WANT THE GUN TO BE SEEN AT THE BELT LINE AS IF IT IS TUCKED IN.THE PROBLEM IS EVERY SHIRT SIZE IS A DIFFERENT PLACEMENT. DO YOU REALLY NEED A HOLSTER? I SEE THREE COLORS IN THE GUN SO AT LEAST 3 SCREENS.I WOULD PRINT A 1 COLOR GUN WITH HALFTONES SHOWING THE SHADING AND GRAY TONES. PRINT THE WHOLE GUN SO THERE'S ROOM FOR ERROR WITH THE PLACEMENT.IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN I THINK I'VE SEEN A VERSION OF THAT "GUN SHIRT" ON THE WEB SOMEPLACE.ALSO IF YOUR NOT GOING TO GET A BUNCH OF SHIRTS AT ONE TIME OR IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR THE INTIAL SCREEN CHARGES YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET TRANSFERS DONE.THAT WAY YOU CAN DO ONE SHIRT AT A TIME AND YOU CAN PLACE THAT GUN EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT IT. YOU DON'T WANT IT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SHIRT.

what do you guys think? we could do transfers and then you can get whatever t-shirt you want and put it on there.. problem is they dont last nearly as long as screen prints. as far as the holster i think we need to keep that on there..as most open carriers use a holster opposed to just sticking it in the waistband.

does anyone else have ideas for wordage on the back? we have the dole quote.. i really didnt see anything we can use from the van hollen memo other than "the state constitutional right to bear arms extends to openly carrying a handgun for lawful purposes" (paragraph 7)

and again sorry for the caps

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

taken from a different thread from max:

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose. Art. I, § 25 Wisconsin Constitution

so now i see 3 quotes on the back :)

any ideas for the front.. just the flag and opencarry.org ?

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK got a price..

looks like it will be $12.50 per shirt IF we get 50 orders

add $3.00 for xxxl and $4 for xxxxl

this will have the gun on the side.. with holster.
the flag on the front with opencarry.org in blue underneath
on the back we have:

"If you want to carry a gun in wisconsin, ... wear it on your hip." - gov. Jim Doyle 3.10.2006

"the state constitutional right to bear arms extends to openly carrying a handgun for lawful purposes" Attorney General J.B Van Hollen 4.20.2009

"The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose." Art. I, § 25 Wisconsin Constitution

i leave the bold in there also..

anyone else want in on this... so far i have 12 that want them..
so we just need 38 more..

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skamp wrote:
OK got a price..

looks like it will be $12.50 per shirt IF we get 50 orders

add $3.00 for xxxl and $4 for xxxxl

this will have the gun on the side.. with holster.
the flag on the front with opencarry.org in blue underneath
on the back we have:

"If you want to carry a gun in wisconsin, ... wear it on your hip." - gov. Jim Doyle 3.10.2006

"the state constitutional right to bear arms extends to openly carrying a handgun for lawful purposes" Attorney General J.B Van Hollen 4.20.2009

"The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose." Art. I, § 25 Wisconsin Constitution

i leave the bold in there also..

anyone else want in on this... so far i have 12 that want them..
so we just need 38 more..
Let's hit all the WI Gun sites with this info. $12.50 per shirt is not bad at all.

[edit] While the opencarry.org text under the flag is a good idea for members of this site, it may not help us attract orders with individuals at other sites. May I suggest scrapping that idea? I'm sure the shirts will be the same price without that text.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skamp:

Put me down for:

1 - small, very small.

2 - large

2 - x-large

2 - xx-large

That should do for a start.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ya know.. it is possible to put a few websites on the front..
ar15.com, opencarry.org, etc. i dotn know all of them.. but if you have an idea we can add them..
or just remove it completely and just have the flag...

or "a right unexercised is a right lost" under the flag?

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skamp wrote:
ya know.. it is possible to put a few websites on the front..
ar15.com, opencarry.org, etc. i dotn know all of them.. but if you have an idea we can add them..
or just remove it completely and just have the flag...

or "a right unexercised is a right lost" under the flag?
If you could get confirmation that we can do any number of any websites underneath the flag in the 50 orders, that would be a great idea.