• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lobby Day 2009 Photos

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
I really, really do want to see the OC transportation laws change so I don't have to leave my gun in plain sight if I have to leave it in the vehicle for some reason. I can't believe that law!
Do you mean leaving the gun in plain sight if you are exiting/outside the vehicle?
Yes, if I go to the courthouse or post office I have to leave the gun inside the truck in plain sight where anyone could smash and grab it. Either that or leave the gun at home where it does no good if needed.

Why on earth would you think that? Put it in the glove compartment as you are exiting the vehicle.
There was a court case (someone please remind me of the name) where a person was OCing and got out of their vehicle, and locked their gun in their car in the center console. Police charged him with concealed weapon but judge dismissed the charge saying you can conceal it before leaving your vehicle (in a reasonable amount of time).
The case is Pruitt v. Commonwealth, 274 Va. 382, 650 S.E.2d 684 (2007) (slip opinion available here).

Neplusultra

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
I really, really do want to see the OC transportation laws change so I don't have to leave my gun in plain sight if I have to leave it in the vehicle for some reason. I can't believe that law!
Do you mean leaving the gun in plain sight if you are exiting/outside the vehicle?
Yes, if I go to the courthouse or post office I have to leave the gun inside the truck in plain sight where anyone could smash and grab it. Either that or leave the gun at home where it does no good if needed.

Why on earth would you think that? Put it in the glove compartment as you are exiting the vehicle.
I was told by the State Police, plus if you read the statute doesn't it say you have to be on route to or from a gun club to be carrying a loaded weapon, or have a CHP which I don't have.

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

There was a court case (someone please remind me of the name) where a person was OCing and got out of their vehicle, and locked their gun in their car in the center console. Police charged him with concealed weapon but judge dismissed the charge saying you can conceal it before leaving your vehicle (in a reasonable amount of time).
+1 I dont remember the case name, but that is correct. Put the gun in the glove compartment and exit the vehicle. Its now "in storage" and doesnt meet the criteria for a concealed weapon under 18.2-308.
Correct since it is no longer "on your persons":)
But the transport law, not the carry law, says you have to be on your way to a bonifide gun club, in fact IIRC it mentions something about being a member. What's the code say? I should read it again...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

+1 I dont remember the case name, but that is correct. Put the gun in the glove compartment and exit the vehicle. Its now "in storage" and doesnt meet the criteria for a concealed weapon under 18.2-308.
But the transport law, not the carry law, says you have to be on your way to a bonifide gun club, in fact IIRC it mentions something about being a member. What's the code say? I should read it again...

The only thing you should be concerned with is 18.2-308 in this case, i.e - the gun is now longer "on or about your person"

When you leave the car, that gun may as well be an ice scraper or first aid kit in your glove box. There's no violation of law.

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

The transport law states the gun must be "unloaded and securely wrapped" (I interpret that to mean enclosed in a case or wrapped up entirely like a gun sock or t-shirt).

Neplusultra

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
The case is Pruitt v. Commonwealth, 274 Va. 382, 650 S.E.2d 684 (2007) (slip opinion available here).
Thanks again WV and Nova! What a rollercoaster ride of a read that was but the right decision was made! I have a gunvault (highly recommeded product) in my truck under the rear seat. So I actually have to "exit" my vehicle in order to stow the gun and it's even "less" accessible than a center console.... So it looks like I'm good to go.

Yeah, baby. Great to know. I think I'll call the VSP and let them know the poop since they informed me wrongly :^).

I must say I got a little lost. The circuit court found him guilty, the appeals court refused to hear it, a three judge panel also refused, who then overturned the decision (pages 5 & 6)? It wasn't the Supreme Court of VA. Who was it?

Neplusultra

imported post

nova wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
The transport law states the gun must be "unloaded and securely wrapped" (I interpret that to mean enclosed in a case or wrapped up entirely like a gun sock or t-shirt).
Which is what I used to do, unload the gun, stow gun in one place and ammo in another. Which makes it not very "accessible" for nefarious purposes but is a major PITA.

Neplusultra

imported post

Tess wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread there Tess :^). You know I looked at all your photos and there were quite a few women in all of them, except the breakfast (are shaved heads the new fashion?). Not sure it was 1 out of 10 as another poster mentioned but still an impressive number. But I agree with the other poster, guns are a family value and we should do more to get women, mothers and children involved in protecting themselves and their rights.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

nova wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

That is the exemption to concealed carry w/o a permit. If you have a CHP, that doesnt apply. If you are open carrying and store it in the glovebox and exit the car, that doesnt apply either.

I'm not sure where the confusion is....

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

That is the exemption to concealed carry w/o a permit. If you have a CHP, that doesnt apply. If you are open carrying and store it in the glovebox and exit the car, that doesnt apply either.

I'm not sure where the confusion is....
If the person in question has a CHP there is no issue then.

Neplusultra

imported post

nova wrote:
I don't have a CHP. So the rules are different for me. But thanks to the ruling cited above I *can* conceal as long as I'm not *in* the vehicle. but while traveling I would have to either OC or follow the transport laws.

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
I don't have a CHP. So the rules are different for me. But thanks to the ruling cited above I *can* conceal as long as I'm not *in* the vehicle. but while traveling I would have to either OC or follow the transport laws.
I'm in the same boat...I don't have a CHP either.

tsannicolas

imported post

nova wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
if you can apply for one, fairfax takes exactly 45 days

fairfax1

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
nova wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
I know someone that applied in Fairfax today. They have gotten about 700 applications since January 1st.

Glock27Bill

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
nova wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
I know someone that applied in Fairfax today. They have gotten about 700 applications since January 1st.

WOW!!!!!

Mine took 45 days, had a couple of friends that got theirs in 2 weeks.

I wonder if they will be able to keep up with the volume and hit their required 45 day target.