Thread: Gun in car law

Post imported post

I was wondering if we have a "keep your gun in the car" law here in LA. I know that MS has one, and I thought that LA also had one but I can not find it anywhere. If anyone has a copy of it or knows where to find it please let me know. I just started a new job and the company prohibits carry inside the building, I would like to know that I can leave it in the vehicle during work hours.

Thanks,

Double J

Post imported post

Act 684 prevents businesses from prohibiting their employees from keeping guns in their cars. There are exceptions, you can read the bill here:
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdat...asp?did=504213

If you signed any contract saying that you would not keep a gun in the car this is of course void.

Post imported post

I don't believe that a contract can abrogate a state law. The law prohibits an employer from prohibiting your storage in an automobile. Therefore they can't ask you to sign such a contract. That would be like them having you sign a contract saying that it's OK to discriminate against you based on your race or religious preference. However, I am not a lawyer, so I could be wrong.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Anyone can sign away any of their rights, as long as it's done KNOWINGLY and WILLINGLY and not under duress.
    Example: a "law enforcement officer" stops you, wants to search your vehicle. Sure you have a right to be protected and free from unreasonable searches without a warrant, but if you're stupid enough to sign his "consent to search" form, shame on YOU.
    Same applies here.
    I understand that, but I think this is a slightly different situation. the "store your gun in your car" law has nothing to do with a right. It is a law that prohibits a specific action, namely it prohibits an employer from prohibiting the storage of a firearm in an employee's car. I don't think that you can legally agree to violate a law - at least not without some penalty.

Post imported post

I suspect the state could pursue action against an employer who violates the act without regard to the employee’s initial waiver or contract.

Post imported post

One question here, who owns the vehicle?

Your car/truck, as long as you follow the laws of your state there really should be no question here.

Post imported post

I work at a chemical plant on the river,& just got an Email,with a change in company policy to the change in law,regarding keeping a firearm in your vehicle.
    heres what I got from work:
    Code:
    Performance Guidelines                |   Removed sentence from II.C.7:  Use or         |
    |                                      |   possession of weapons, ammunition, or         |
    |                                      |   explosives on site property.                  |
    |                                      |   Replaced with:  Use or possession of weapons, |
    |                                      |   ammunition, explosives or fireworks on site   |
    |                                      |   property, or in the workplace.  Lawfully-owned|
    |                                      |   firearms are allowed in privately owned,      |
    |                                      |   locked vehicles, in the site employee and     |
    |                                      |   contractor parking lots, outside of the       |
    |                                      |   secured site perimeter                        |

Post imported post

Well, I sincerely hope you're not right about this, Mark (although you most certainly are usually correct). I'm counting on the new law to protect me against exactly this sort of situation. It may eventually have to be litigated, but I'd argue thatone's employer cannot, as a condition of your employment, havesomeone agree to work in a place that knowingly violates a law.

For example, you could not be forced to sign a contract that states you agree to work in a place that is hazardous and unsafe because of gross and purposeful violations of OSHA requirements. If you were, then the employer would be taken to task for it.

For the law on gun storage in one's car , however, there is no penalty specified in the law. A penalty clause was debated, but it was dropped from the final version. I'm unsure how the courts would determine a penalty for a violation of this law.