Thread: VCDL in the news - Del. Griffith says the gun show loophole bill is dead!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.wtvr.com/global/story.asp?s=9698009

Video:http://www.wtvr.com/Global/category.asp?C=4672&nav=menu79 -
    Video at http://www.wtvr.com/Global/category.asp?C=4672&nav=menu79 - scroll on video bar to right to find video labeled "Gun Right Advocates."
    --

Guns on Hand at State Capitol

The mission was simple Monday for dozens of members of the Virginia Citizens' Defense League, (a group that supports 2nd amendment rights),slap on an orange sticker, grab an agenda, and find your local legislator.

"We have teams that are going to break up and they're going to visit every single legislator thatis in the building today," remarked Mark Stollenwerk, a VCDL organizer.

Impassioned group members roamed the hallways of the General Assembly building, showcasing their support for legislation that would allow concealed handgun permit holders to carry in restaurants and on school grounds.

The gun rights advocates, many of whom drove for hours to lobby lawmakers, hope their very presence will speak volumes.

"People come out and say whether they're for or against something, and it means something," noted VCDL member Marco Handy. "Anybody can sit home and not show up. But you want (lawmakers) to know that you really support this or oppose it."

So, how influential can a capitol visit be?

"Obviously the live visit shows a certain level of commitment," remarked House Majority Leader Morgan Griffith. "If you're making a three-hour drive down here, and then a three-hour drive back home, obviously you care very passionately about the issue."

On issue that did not gain much attention was the so-calledgun show loophole, which Delegate Griffith described as "dead" after the State Crime Commission failed to endorse the measure.

--

See also http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/37850174.html- video is at scroll to "Gun Rally"

--

1. http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/hundreds-richmond-rally-back-progun-bills

Hundreds at Richmond rally to back pro-gun bills

By Dave Forster
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © January 20, 2009
    RICHMOND

About 300 people rallied Monday at the Virginia Capitol to support the many pro-gun-rights bills that have been introduced this session.

Concern over those rights is especially high this year after the election of Barack Obama, perceived by some as a gun control proponent, said rally participant Sam Beatty, 30, a Marine veteran from Henrico County.

"The last several gun shows that I've been to, I've seen them just more packed than I've ever seen them in the past 10 years - people buying just cases upon cases of ammunition, firearms," Beatty said.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League has highlighted as priorities this year legislation that would allow people with concealed handgun permits to carry their concealed firearms into restaurants that serve alcohol, HB1821, and schools, HB1822.

Another bill, HB1655, would require a court to award attorney fees and costs to anyone who wins a case challenging a local gun control measure.

Dave Forster, (757) 222-5563, dave.forster@pilotonline.com

--

2. http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/37850174.html- video is at scroll to "Gun Rally"

Gun Rights Advocats Lobby in Richmond

Posted: 8:55 PM Jan 19, 2009Last Updated: 8:55 PM Jan 19, 2009

The 2009 Martin Luther King federal holiday was a day of challenges for police and security personnel at the state capitol building Monday (1/19).

Gun rights advocates put on a show of force to send a message to lawmakers. Members of the Virginia Citizen's Defense League spoke about a new measure and one already on the books that they see as anti-gun. The pro-second amendment group gathered from all across the Commonwealth to get face-to-face time with legislators.

"People come out and say whether they're for or against something , and it means something," says CDL member Marco Handy. "Anybody can sit home and not show up. But you want (lawmakers) to know that you really support this or oppose it. And that should tell our delegates and our Senators that we feel strongly about this. "

The CDL supports a change in law that would allow licensed gun holders to carry concealed weapons into restaurants and onto school grounds.

3. Pre-Lobby day news reports:

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/37803614.html(with video).

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/RBRF19_20090118-215417/181909

Post imported post

Safe for another year, huh?

Post imported post

Outstanding. Great to see that Va has such active 2A proponets.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    Safe for another year, huh?
    I wouldn't say "Safe for another year". I'd say safe for now. We always have to keep an eye out for this. The price being eternal vigilance and all.

Post imported post

Don't forget, this was just one Delegate's opinion, as valid or likely as it may be, nothing is "done" yet. Anything could happen.

TFred

Post imported post

So how's all that "We won!" stuff working for ya now?

Yes, I am upset (OK, there are better words to describe my emotions, but they are not polite words). And I'm even more upset that I cannot write my Senator to urge him to defeat this bill, because the "gentleman" is the author of the abomination.

I'm working on my Delegate (brand new), but she's not offering much hope for change.

I'm going to contact everybody else and explain that while the elected representatives in my district do not represent my views, I am looking for help from outside. Maybe it will work.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    So how's all that "We won!" stuff working for ya now?

Yes, I am upset (OK, there are better words to describe my emotions, but they are not polite words). And I'm even more upset that I cannot write my Senator to urge him to defeat this bill, because the "gentleman" is the author of the abomination.

I'm working on my Delegate (brand new), but she's not offering much hope for change.

I'm going to contact everybody else and explain that while the elected representatives in my district do not represent my views, I am looking for help from outside. Maybe it will work.

stay safe.

skidmark
    On other issues, mind you, I have written my Delegate or Senate to oppose, very strongly, bills they have introduced.

Because both are kiss-ass Democrats, I have used a combination of fact and emotion to explain (and get their attention) why I think the bill should be killed. And I copy the chairman of the committee or subcommittee in which the legislation is next to be heard.

Just because your representation is stupid doesn't mean you can't call 'em on it.

Granted, it won't likely do MUCH good, but it will put you on record, both for him and his successor.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein