• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New To Open Carry-Questions

Mikecatt13

imported post

I have been doing research on open carry and just had a few questions I would like some more specific answers on if possible.

-I am 19 and legally own registered pistols I bought used. My understanding is that anyone that legally owns the registered pistol in Michigan (me)can open carry in a holster, is this correct?

-I read the "OC catch 22" thread stating how transporting a pistol without a CPL is very limited so...How can I legally transport my pistol in a vehicle (particularly a pickup which doesnt have a trunk, obviously) and where I have to uncase and load it to open carry?

-Has anyone had any experiences (particularly problems to worry about) open carrying in either Saline, Clinton, or Ypsilanti?

-Finally (for now), is it a good idea to print off and store the laws regarding open carry in your wallet for example so if needed proof can be provided for the person uneducated in the open carry laws whether it be a LEO or whatever?

Thank you very much for any help I do appreciate it!

WARCHILD

imported post

Mike: Welcome, I got your PM. In addition to the info thread (sent PM) also look at the "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" thread, good info there too. I would suggest you not open carry until you fully understand all the info in these threads. If you don't find your answers there, call me or post the question here and someone will answer it for you.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I definitely advise you to keep printouts of the law handy. I keep a good 10 copies with me when I OC. Not generally for the officers (they don't like being told how to do their job...), but for other people who think I'm breaking the law.

I had an incident last week Saturday at the Target in Ypsi/Pittsfield Twp. Where I had a 911 Man With a Gun (MWAG) call... All ended well but it gets your heart racing. (Read it here).

Ann Arbor folks are very uncomfortable with seeing guns not on police officers. They'll get over it eventually. :cool:

Mikecatt13

imported post

Thanks for all the help here guys! I'm pretty sure I have all my questions from above answered but I completely agree with Jerry and will be doing my research and reading for a while before I OC and hopefully will be doing so with a couple members of the forums here to break the ice.