Thread: Denied by NICS

Post imported post

Has anyone ever been "denied" a firearm transfer by NICS? I was in early December, about 2 months after renewing my concealed pistol license. I'm hoping to get this cleared up without going to court, but it's beginning to look like it might take a court order to get the FBI to follow the law. If anyone else has appealed a denial, I'd like to hear how that worked out. Thanks!

Post imported post

Just happened to a friend of mine on his very first purchase of a firearm. An upstanding 56 year old hard working gentleman. It was real BS and really upset him, and I would also say it made him a committed watcher of his gun rights. Opened his eyes. He ended up making several phone calls, and with some persistance he got okayed after a few weeks. It apparently was like real crap, his name kinda seemed like it could be this other guy, they didn't know, they weren't sure, so let's deny him his rights. BS! They should never deny unless the KNOW. He is now a very happy gun owner for the first time in his life, and he is all out hungry. He went out and got his concealed license too.

Post imported post

Glad to hear he got it resolved. Do you know if he opened an appeal? The response I got was "we'll open an appeal, you have to send us a fingerprint card......we can't give you any information or tell you when you might expect a reply..."

Post imported post

Were you denied or just put on hold?

Did you put you SSN on the form?

Post imported post

My case: denied. Did NOT put SSN on form. I've seen suggestions both ways. Next time I'll try with SSN.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I never see any reason to withhold SSN. After all IT IS a number given to you by the Feds. No sense in hiding it from them...

Post imported post

29er wrote:
    Glad to hear he got it resolved. Do you know if he opened an appeal? The response I got was "we'll open an appeal, you have to send us a fingerprint card......we can't give you any information or tell you when you might expect a reply..."
    He was dealing with FBI and Bothell Police. I think he had to do the finger print deal, I'll check with him. He did use his SSN which just makes it all the more BS to say his name sounds like someone else that would be denied. It is hard to not think of them as a bunch of bozos when it comes to this.

State Researcher

Post imported post

You should call, write, and visit your state legislators and urge them to introduce and work to pass a bill that would exempt CPL holders from a separate background check when purchasing a gun from an FFL. Idaho and 16 other states already qualify.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

I've had a CPL denied, but I won that after a couple months after they realized that I wasn't going away, and I knew slightly more about I was talking about than them. Plus I wrote a letter threatening to sue.

What have you done so far?

When I was denied my CPL, for no apparent reason I was given a flier about appealing a NICS transfer. Did you get one of those and follow up on it?

My advice would be: just try it again. If you've been legal to own all along, then there's the possibility, feint possibility, there's some guy with your name and DOB with a record, or some other glitch that caused the denial.

He was dealing with FBI and Bothell Police.
    Two organizations not particularly know for respecting rights.

I never see any reason to withhold SSN
    When I got a gun a few months back the dealer said that most people don't put the SSN for fear of identity theft, which he says is abnormally high in Yakima.