• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

White history month

M

mdgary

imported post

Can someone tell me what month white history month is?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

mdgary wrote:
Can someone tell me what month white history month is?
Bad guys don't get their own month. Only the oppressed and suffered do. It would be racist to have a "white history" month, of course. They don't deserve any special treatment! :banghead:

Orygunner

imported post

I'm going to assume that you're looking for the caucasian equivilent of "Black history month."

From what I've read, Black History Month was supposed to call attention to the under-represented contributions from dark skinned peopleto American History. It used to be that history books only really taught about caucasian contributors to history.

I believe Black History Month has been successful in it's goal. Racism still exists, but schools now teach a more accurate representation of American history than they used to, don't they? If so, then Black History Month needs to be removed. Perhaps replace it with "American History Month" showcasing all sorts of different people who have contributed to American history with no bias towards or against any race or color.

My job puts up "Black History Month" signs every February. I think this year I'm going to sneak around and put little Post-It notes with the word "American" over the word "Black." :celebrate

...Orygunner...

Orygunner

imported post

Forgot to add, and didn't want to just Edit:

I, too, used to think "Well, why don't WE WHITE people have a month too!" until i found the reason was to call attention to the non-representation of black people in the history books. A White History Month would be just as racist as White History month.

Morgan Freeman gained a lot of my respect with this interview:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," - Morgan Freeman

...Orygunner...

M

mdgary

imported post

Very good , I agree ,I'll leave it at that ....

Dustin

imported post

Racism exists b/c we feed it with special privileges like this.

BET - All Black Stores in the Mall - Black History Month - National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP),

Ifpeople would stop feeding the Racism Troll, it would go away. As long as we keep giving special permissions, there will always be a reason to be different, and feel like they are owed something.

BTW, I've got two black guys to my left and right with me right now in my office who COMPLETELY agree with what I just wrote.

One of them refuses to listen to certain radio stations, and refuses to participate in Black Community things, b/c they both feel it feeds racism.

Too bad there aren't more of these guys around.

At the same time this has NOTHING to do with 2nd A or Carrying of a firearm, so I'm sureitwill be closed soon.

It's also too touchy of a subject to be discussed with TEXT communications.

Orygunner

imported post

Dustin wrote:
At the same time this has NOTHING to do with 2nd A or Carrying of a firearm, so I'm sureitwill be closed soon.

It's also too touchy of a subject to be discussed with TEXT communications.

I agree on both counts.

...Orygunner...

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

This has exactly ZIP, ZERO, BUPKIS, NADA, NOTHING to do with open carry, concealed carry, self defense, lawful defense of others, or any legal, political or social context of carrying or using a firearm.

If folks want to discuss this, I hope they go elsewhere to do it.