Thread: My first attempt at OC

Post imported post

Hello all. New to the group and thought I'd share my one (and only) time of OC'ing a handgun. This happened a couple of years ago.

My wife and I were out and about in Jefferson parish one day, and she decided she wanted to shop for a few bargains at a thrift store on Lapalco Blvd. I have a CC permit and normally carry that way, but this time I didn't have a shirt covering my firearm.But we are an Open Carry state right? so I didn't think anything of it. Thefirearm was in a waistband holster

We wander around the store for a good half hour, find some stuff, get in line to pay. Finally get to register, pay for the goods and head out the door.

This is when it got interesting.

As I walk out a JPSO officer walks in. I remember thinking, "ok, this could be about you" and before the door even closes behind me, I hear someone say "that's him!"

Then I hear "Excuse me, sir!"

The deputy came out and asked me if I was carrying and I said yes (though he could clearly see it). He also asked if I had a CC permit and I said yes to that too.

He asked that I put my hands on the wall and told me he was going to remove my firearm. He was surprizeingly polite about it. I did as directed and he took the gun and my wallet after I told him my ID and permit were in it.

Next thing I know the parking lotisfull of JPSO cruisers and a big sargent runs up with a shotgun, looking like he would love to use it. This guy was the complete opposite of the initial responding officer. Questioning me in a loud voice "Who am you!", "Why are you carrying a gun!", etc.. (he claimed they had gotten a report the place was being robbed).

The officers went in and spoke to the staff and other patrons, who told them I had just walked around the store like anyone else, stood in linequietly and paid for my purchases. Never bothered anyone. I stayed polite with the officers and aswered all questions. But damn,that sargent sure wanted someone shot or in jail! :shock:

Eventually, (after loud discussion on his part) the other officers convinced him I hadn't done anything wrong and they all left except the initial officer, who slipped my unloaded firearm back init's holster with orders not to reload till he had left the scene.I don't know that officers name, but he was calm and polite through the whole thing. While I wouldn't say this was a pleasant experience,this guyobviously must have known OC is legal and handled the whole episode in a very professional manner. It would have gone much quicker and smoother without the presence of that sargent.

Haven't attempted open carry since.

Tdog

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

Wow. First time OCing and got detained? That's pretty bad luck.
    He also asked if I had a CC permit and I said yes to that too.

I often don't carry my CC permit when open carrying since it has nothing to do with open carrying. The question should never even come up. It's like being out on the lake skiing with your friends and the Wildlife and Fisheries guys show up and ask you if you have a fishing license. "But I'm not fishing." Why would I need a CC permit if I'm not CCing?
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

turbodog wrote
    Eventually, (after loud discussion on his part) the other officers convinced him I hadn't done anything wrong and they all left except the initial officer, who slipped my unloaded firearm back init's holster with orders not to reload till he had left the scene.
    This crap pisses me off. I'd be locking and loading mine before he ever got two steps away.

Post imported post

I OC'd at Radio Shack in Kenner this past Saturday afternoon. This was my first time OC'ing in Jefferson Parish and everything went smooth even though things could be different in other parts of the Parish.

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    turbodog wrote
    Eventually, (after loud discussion on his part) the other officers convinced him I hadn't done anything wrong and they all left except the initial officer, who slipped my unloaded firearm back init's holster with orders not to reload till he had left the scene.
    This crap pisses me off. I'd be locking and loading mine before he ever got two steps away.
    I didn't have any problem with it really. This guy probably had the most pleasant and professional demeanor of any JPSO officer I've had to interact with. From him, the order was more like a "do me a favor" thing. Easy to comply when the officer has that kind of attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

Sounds more like someone saw you, panicked, called it in as an armed robbery in progress - more than likely the one who said, "That's him!" Then the 911 operator passed that on without asking any more questions like, "What is he doing with the gun?" When the response comes back, "Walking around the store looking at price tags," they'd have disregarded the call.

You handled it very well; and although yale is correct about your CC license being irrelevant, it probably worked in your favor here - as did your quiet cooperation.

But I still wish this kind of stuff wouldn't happen.

Post imported post

...no, DK....gotta follow the officer's direction, as long as he doesn't tell you to violate the law...but the officer had no right to unload it in the first place...any man with gun call will draw a lot of officers...but the ignorance factor comes in again... some cops don't know (or admit they know) the laws and so can't (or won't) enforce them properly...a cop who doesn't want citizens armed shouldn't be a cop...he's got a basic fear (or King) mentality...and we're not served well by either....we'll see the same crap here, until the word gets out that we know and will demand our rights...may be surprised how many cops here are on our side....I can hardly wait!!!