• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Say it out loud - "Live Free or Die"

shad0wfax

imported post

ecgoin wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
spy1 wrote:
Pathetic.

We can all kiss our "open carry" and firearms rights "goodbye" if this is the best we've got.

"Talk" is getting cheaper by the minute. Pete
however most of us do more by holstering a firearm in public as often as possible. Personally, I would prefer a bumper sticker thatread, "Sic semper tyranus".
SST.. ? I'm latin impaired. just holster your weapon. If you don't use it....you lose it.

Sic semper tyrannus (with two n's actually) means Thus ever to Tyrants. It is a shortening of the phrase Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis, which means Thus always death comes to Tyrants. (It is also Virginia's motto.)

spy1

imported post

.40 Cal - Look at the post directly below yours when you suggested "Sic semper tyrannis" - it shows exactly why "secret handshake" , fancy Greek/Latin-whatever arcane sayings/symbols have NO impact on the public.

"Live Free or Die" (with your favorite gun organization decal directly below or to the side of it) shows clearly recognizable, plain-English INTENT.

It just doesn't get any more understandable than that. Pete

* And, ecgoin - that was NOT a slam on you or anyone else. Actually, I thank you for making my point.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
ecgoin wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
spy1 wrote:
Pathetic.

We can all kiss our "open carry" and firearms rights "goodbye" if this is the best we've got.

however most of us do more by holstering a firearm in public as often as possible. Personally, I would prefer a bumper sticker thatread, "Sic semper tyranus".
SST.. ? I'm latin impaired. just holster your weapon. If you don't use it....you lose it.

Sic semper tyrannus (with two n's actually) means Thus ever to Tyrants. It is a shortening of the phrase Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis, which means Thus always death comes to Tyrants. (It is also Virginia's motto.)
I fixed it before the spelling police cited me! :p

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

spy1 wrote:
.40 Cal - Look at the post directly below yours when you suggested "Sic semper tyrannis" - it shows exactly why "secret handshake" , fancy Greek/Latin-whatever arcane sayings/symbols have NO impact on the public.

"Live Free or Die" (with your favorite gun organization decal directly below or to the side of it) shows clearly recognizable, plain-English INTENT.

* And, ecgoin - that was NOT a slam on you or anyone else. Actually, I thank you for making my point.
Spy, I think you missed my point. I meant that by carrying openly, I do more than any bumper sticker ever would. The benefit of a sticker would be for my own reaffirmation, so I would therefore prefer one that represented my thoughts more accurately. Though I admit I would die for my beliefs, I would be more willing to kill first! I promise death unto tyrants, or as General Patton said, "It's not your job to die for your country. It's your job to make sure the other son of a bitch dies for his!"

Slayer of Paper

imported post

spy1 wrote:

"From my cold, dead hands!" purveys the same sentiment, and is also clearly recognizable, perhaps even more so. Why not that?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Again, I'd rather kill than be killed. :) From my cold dead hands implies that they won, which is unacceptable.

PS: you missed my point again. Go out and carry the biggest firearm you own and I promise that will do more for creating awareness than a bumpersticker.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I don't think it implies they won.

I think it says that the only way to beat me is to kill me. Taken a step further, the only way to beat US is to kill us... ALL of us.

"Give me Liberty, or give me death"
"The most important reason for the second amendment is to defend against tyranny in government"
"The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots"

All say basically the same thing: "I'm not going to give up my right to keep and bear arms without a fight! (and I don't mean just a battle in the courts)"

(Note those are paraphrased quotes from memory, not intended to be exact.)

MamaLiberty

imported post

spy1 wrote:
Can you NOT see the benefit of letting all the liberals know - un-equivocally - what the consequences are - beforehand - if they don't leave the second Amendment alone? Pete
No benefit whatsoever to a bumper sticker.

The liberals and all those who hate us already know what we think.

They don't care. They are not going to change their mind. They will kill us if we let them. A bumper sticker isn't going to help.

wylde007

imported post

This idea has been about as well-received when posted elsewhere... :banghead:

Don't you know it's bad form to bring a bumper sticker to a gun fight? :lol:

spy1

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Go out and carry the biggest firearm you own and I promise that will do more for creating awareness than a bumpersticker.

It has crossed your mind that "Open Carry" States do not include all 50 States, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry

(To the best of my knowledge, bumperstickers are legal in all 50 States).

MamaLiberty - Pray tell, what is your plan then?

wylde - If I haven't stated it enough here and elsewhere - The entire point of the bumpersticker is to prevent the gunfight!

Look, the entire pro-2A movement needs a battlecry.

We need something that will help present us as a united force to be reckoned with.

We do not have anything like that now.
We are scattered, partisan to this or that organization, all operating under various different "laws".

We need a public presence and a powerful message that we mean - now more than at any other period in our nations' history.

I'm sorry if there's very few of us that can see that. Pete

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

spy1 wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Go out and carry the biggest firearm you own and I promise that will do more for creating awareness than a bumpersticker.

It has crossed your mind that "Open Carry" States do not include all 50 States, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry

(To the best of my knowledge, bumperstickers are legal in all 50 States).

Pete, I mean take more action than a bumper sticker. You specifically should be carrying as you live in this great state, which has taken a sharp left turn of late.

Trust me, I know there are states where OC is not allowed. But even in these states you can carry an empty holster in protest, and this would still be more effective at getting the message out than a bumper sticker. People, including and mostly antis,would ask why you have a gun holster. This would start a conversation on the matter. The same people would see your bumper sticker and not even bring it up, being mindful of your "personal space"; they may even go so far as to avoid you completely.

It's not an attack to your idea, and I applaud your fervor and desire to go out and try to make a difference. I believe there are better ways to do it. It's not about what you say, it's about what you do.

I apologize if I seemed to be attacking you.

ecgoin

imported post

spy1 wrote:
Look, the entire pro-2A movement needs a battlecry.

We need something that will help present us as a united force to be reckoned with.

We do not have anything like that now.

That is what we need to do, because we are splintered into little niches.Logisticsis aumm, you know..a bear. And we all know it takes $'s to start, or should I say keep a movement (lets call it a campaign) alive. Our campaign manager needs to bring to the front of the discussion that we are protectors. We want little more than to be able to protect our Constitution, country, ourselves, and yes..even all of our liberal law abiding citizens fromBG's. Law abiding is defined as "allow no degradation of the Constitution" (focus 2A). OK..It's a bit broader than that, but I could ramble.

We need to help LE notice we even protect them, through not letting BG's run around shooting at us. We help perception of that to theBG's by simply showing our weapons are present, and not being afraid to use them responsibly.

I'm pretty sure all the states recognize that if you see an accident, you are acting responsibly by stopping what you are doing, and rendering any aid in your power. I am sure most of us would render aid if someBG's gun, knifeor car went off and injured, or threatened to injure, LE, innocents, or ourselves. IF WE HAVE THAT POWER!

So..campaign slogan/motto. <font>tiny> bumper sticker...
To Preserve, Protect, and DefendOur Constitution. United we stand, divided we fail. OCDO has a great A Right Unexercised Is A Right Lost, Maybe change "right" to "rights".Gun $798.95 Ammo $4.68 Protection priceless. If I could quote from the greats, I would.I like PPDC. Humm, I like the initials too.

The ball needs to roll into mass media, in a positive light. How do we do that? An individual has little power, unless they are 200M. With organization, maybe 50M-60M (not a scientific est.). We do need to put the splinters back on the log too. Come together with all like minded individuals.

Just had to vent a little. Thanks for the space.

MamaLiberty

imported post

MamaLiberty - Pray tell, what is your plan then?

The greatest fallacy here is the idea that a massive, collective effort is either preferable or doable. I would hope that the recent Ron Paul campaign would help at least most people to see how frail and unlikely that is in effecting any change in government. Many people were educated by that, and it had great value there, but it did not change or avert any of the tyranny coming at us.

There is no hope for liberty and justice in another mass collective. Only individuals have rights, and only individuals can change their beliefs, methods and goals to achieve that liberty and justice. They can and do work in voluntary cooperation, but those networks are built around really solid ideas and efforts over time.

What do I do?

Right now I maintain a website that is read all over the world. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/ I address the hard topics and carry some mighty hard hitting material. I'm sure I'm on every "list" there is, but I keep going because there is a chance to influence at least some people with the truth. That's probably as hopeless as letter writing, but it is something I can do with a clear conscience.

I teach - mainly novice women - handgun safety and self defense, as well as CC classes for the local Sheriff. I help organize and put on an annual Appleseed shoot in my community. I am active in my local gun club and other community affairs. I talk to local people about freedom and truth whenever appropriate. I've just finished writing a book to help people better prepare for self defense.

I carry openly all the time, everywhere. I talk to people about it and hand out cards with information about our right to self defense.

As a founding member of the Free State Wyoming project, I am the local "welcome wagon" for both seekers and new immigrants to Wyoming in this area - both on our forum and in person when they get here. http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php

I'm an administrator for a large forum that is all about how to survive and fight this tyranny in non-violent and practical ways. The Mental Militia is working hard to find real solutions. http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/

And nobody wants to be bored with all my other nonsense.

The point is that I'm not doing nothing. And there are probably hundreds of other things I could be doing, and that others are doing now. There is much more than one way to fight.

By all means, mount whatever bumper stickers you wish, or engage in any other activity that seems of value to you. Just don't expect millions of people to join you, especially millions of individual, independent thinkers who want no part of another collective.

And especially don't call them fools and apathetic if they don't wish to join you and have their own ways of fighting instead.

Squid13

imported post

Ok, so it looks to me like everyone is giving this guy a hard time and a bunch of negativity. I say anything that you can and are willing to do helps. Bumperstickers won't change laws, but they do invoke thought in those that see them. They won't change minds of those with a set agenda, but they might make someone with no oppinion on the subject think. Anything that makes someone think about the issue, if even for a few minutes, can be helpful.

The anti-gun agenda is full of lies bad logic and hate. They have a huge following because they're louder than their words. You don't have to be the biggest group, just the most vocal. I say speak up on your beliefs. Do so in person and in print. We should give this guy positive feedback, not defeatism.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Squid13 wrote:
The anti-gun agenda is full of lies bad logic and hate. They have a huge following because they're louder than their words. You don't have to be the biggest group, just the most vocal. I say speak up on your beliefs. Do so in person and in print. We should give this guy positive feedback, not defeatism.
See his comments here:
And all the off-topic humor would be an attempt to cover up the fact that very few of us seem to have the balls to even put a bumper-sticker on our vehicle?
Pathetic.

This isn't about defeatism or encouragement. He's free to do what he wants, and so is everyone else. He's free to encourage everyone else to join him, of course.

I AM speaking up and doing what I can. I simply refuse to be called names because I choose not to do what he's doing.

spy1

imported post

MamaLiberty - Seems to me that the "mass collective" that you seem to be so fond of putting down (at least three separate times in your post above) was more than capable of taking care of business during the Revolutionary War - and considering the outcome of last years' "Immigration Reform" debate.

The "mass collective" was the --> ONLY <-- way both the British and "Immigration Reform" got defeated.

Pure and simple - if we don't stop being a bunch of precious "individuals", we will be defeated - individually.

Point out one single place in any of my posts in this thread where I used the word(s)

"fool" or "apathetic" - you can't because they're not there.

(Have I fallen through the rabbit hole into the United States of the Offended, again?).

BTW - I didn't ask you what you "do" (although you have my congratulations on all that) - I asked you: "MamaLiberty - Pray tell, what is your plan then?" I guess I should have been clearer.

I won't say anything else - God knows I wouldn't want to offend anyone else. Pete