• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for IWB Leather

bobcat

imported post

I'm looking for an IWB holster. It needs to be all leather, dual snap similar to Crossbred's design. I simply don't like kydex.

Open top with reinforced top for ease of reholstering. Body side panel should cover firearm where it might touch clothing/skin. Cocked and locked 1911 style sidearms tend to bite (even if dehorned) with active lifestyles. When you carry all day+, these things are not only noticed, but can get quite uncomfortable.

I've also looked at Tucker and they have some nice stuff. A bit more $$. The Texas Heritageis more the style I'm looking for, but with snaps. The leather snaps blend more with leather belts and I simply prefer snaps.

Picky? Maybe, but those of you that carry regular know how nice it is to have the most comfortable, correct (to your tastes/habits) gear. Leadtimes should be relatively short. Either on the self or just a few weeks. I'm not interested in waiting months.

I've looked at DeSantis, Bianchi, Galco and others. I currently have several DeSantis OWB holsters and generally like them. Most of the companies I've looked at offer and IWB with a dual snap directly over the holster, which just makes it thicker in a place thickness is not desired and with a single central location affords no 'wheelbase' to prevent shifting. If you've carried a minimalist IWB, you know what I'm talking about. IMO, part of a holsters job is to keep the sidearm exactly where you want it. No shifting and forcing a 'tell' while CC'g or worse yet causing you to touch and readjust while OC'g. Bad form. Not to mention the sidearm not being exactly where you expect it to be if you need it...

I know the stuff is out there because I've seen it in photographs and on folks a time or two.

Thanks in advance.

richarcm

imported post

I saw one at a local shop made by Galco that was the same as the double snap variety (they had that too) but it did away with the double snaps and incorporated some sort of stealthy piece that allows for you to completely tuck in your shirt (if desired) and see almost nothing on the belt. I almost got it but it was about $70-75. I just couldn't quite pull the trigger on that one although it would be really nice to have.

bobcat

imported post

No opinions???

Gotta be folks here that have IWB holsters as I describe or can point me to an outfit that does???

jddssc121

imported post

I have a Kramer leather which is good, but it does have the snaps (screws actually) right over the holster. it adds the bulk as you mentioned....

The best holster hands down is the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Amazing. Comfy, and invisible.

bobcat

imported post

Thanks for the response guys! That's what I'm looking for, the product with a brief personal testimony.:)

As for Milt Sparks, certainly one of the better outfits. The VM-2H certainly looks like the product I'm looking for. I may try their dealers to see if I can get something sooner.

jddssc121

imported post

I had to order direct. I am a lefty so no dealers seemed to have what I want. To their credit they told me my wait was 6 months but I got it in 4.

eyesopened

imported post

bobcat wrote:
Thanks for the response guys! That's what I'm looking for, the product with a brief personal testimony.:)

As for Milt Sparks, certainly one of the better outfits. The VM-2H certainly looks like the product I'm looking for. I may try their dealers to see if I can get something sooner.
My buddy has the VM2 and loves it. He let me try it out and the short time I had it on, it was comfortable. I just don't have the patience to wait that long for one.

I know you said you didn't like Kydex, but I just recently bought a Comptac MTAC. The part that holds the gun is kydex, but the part that is facing your body is all leather. the holster body is interchangeable if you want to use it for different firearms.

shad0wfax

imported post

bobcat wrote:
I'm looking for an IWB holster. It needs to be all leather, dual snap similar to Crossbred's design. I simply don't like kydex.

Open top with reinforced top for ease of reholstering. Body side panel should cover firearm where it might touch clothing/skin. Cocked and locked 1911 style sidearms tend to bite (even if dehorned) with active lifestyles. When you carry all day+, these things are not only noticed, but can get quite uncomfortable.

I've also looked at Tucker and they have some nice stuff. A bit more $$. The Texas Heritageis more the style I'm looking for, but with snaps. The leather snaps blend more with leather belts and I simply prefer snaps.

Picky? Maybe, but those of you that carry regular know how nice it is to have the most comfortable, correct (to your tastes/habits) gear. Leadtimes should be relatively short. Either on the self or just a few weeks. I'm not interested in waiting months.

I've looked at DeSantis, Bianchi, Galco and others. I currently have several DeSantis OWB holsters and generally like them. Most of the companies I've looked at offer and IWB with a dual snap directly over the holster, which just makes it thicker in a place thickness is not desired and with a single central location affords no 'wheelbase' to prevent shifting. If you've carried a minimalist IWB, you know what I'm talking about. IMO, part of a holsters job is to keep the sidearm exactly where you want it. No shifting and forcing a 'tell' while CC'g or worse yet causing you to touch and readjust while OC'g. Bad form. Not to mention the sidearm not being exactly where you expect it to be if you need it...

I know the stuff is out there because I've seen it in photographs and on folks a time or two.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know how their holsters are for the 1911 A-1 patterns, but I have a Galco gunleather (100% horse-hide)dual-snap IWB holster with an open top that matches your description perfectly for my S&W J-Frame. I love it as a daily CC holster. This holster is also OC'able but I OC a different firearm in a different holster.

I'd head to a Sportsman's Warehouse or some other gun shop that will let you try your firearm for fit in the holster.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Milt Sparks GUARANTEES their stuff.

My Heritage for a Browning Hi-Power was heavily used. The leather on the sweat shield part started to separate. I just sent it back to them and they fixed it. They also fixed some stitches that were coming loose due to a sharp edge on the gun cutting through the thread.

My VM2 is still going strong at eight years, though I don't use it everyday.

As a holster maker, one of the problems I've encountered is that IWB holsters will shift. The causes include: pressure on the holster from the pants, angling of the belt has the hips move back while sitting, weight of the gun, loop-belt interface, and loop location. The angle of the hips determine the extent of rollback when sitting.

One way to mitigate "roll back" or "set back" is to have some sort of wing that presses against the body.

01010128.jpg

S&W 625 IWB holster with wing and non-inline widely spaced loops

The wing presses against the body when the loops fail to resist the weight of the gun. It does help a bit when seated, but it's more to support the loops. It also helps shift the gun up when pressure from the pants presses against the muzzle end of the holster.

Split loops help in concealability by reducing the overall thickness while providing a better base of support for the holster. However, any holster attached to the belt will tilt with the hips. Only posture, holster placement and forward cant can mitigate this problem. I move my holster farther forward (8:30-9 o'clock/3:30-3 o'clock) and buy only holsters with extreme forward cant. Sitting up straight when seated does the most to prevent printing from rollback.

The belt loops of the holster need to be matched to the width of the belt. No holster in the world will present the gun consistently if the fit is loose. Some manufacturers, seem to have over-sized loops on some models. For example, the DeSantis Cozy Partner comes with 1.5" loops that fit up to a 1 3/4" belt. I replace them with spare loops from a Milt Sparks Heritage holster. Blade-Tech rubber loops can also be large. Adjust them appropriately. A proper fit of loops to belt will help stabilize the gun.

One problem I have noticed is that closely placed loops will exert pressure on the belt, causing it to twist back if the gun is heavy. Combine that with hip movement and a leather or nylon belt will weaken over time. A steel framed gun will enhance the problem (polymer has a distinct advantage in this area). It is for this reason I'm testing biothane belts, which seem to resist this problem a bit more.

Preventing rollback is important for IWB holsters. Forward cant and gun placement are the primary means of preventing rollback. Some holsters include a wing to stabilize the gun. Widely spaced loops provide better support and a stout belt will resist bending for a longer period of time. Sitting also causes this problem and the angle of the hips that determine the extent of the rollback.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Milt Sparks VMII is my favorite IWB. I carry a 1911 almost every day, all day. Sometimes I forget it's there.

210kqcj.jpg

Here's another option, although it's not IWB it is very concealable:
2zhfp1d.jpg

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

It's not an issue with me (I'm not a small guy). My firearm lays flat against the back of my chair or the back of my driver seat. It makes for a very pleasant carry experience. One thing that is key is to make sure you have a proper belt, which is the foundation of carrying a firearm.

In the interest of proving my point:

1t2eys.jpg

Yeah, I know. But I bet I'm not the fattest guy you've seen today! :p

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I'm 6' 150lbs and let me tell you it is hard for me to conceal anything lol I want to CC my Glock when I turn 21 and get my CHP but for where I want to carry it will need to NEVER be seen. I might have to carry my keltec p3at IWB with my Galco holster that I have for it. It just makes me look a tad bulky on my right side if I have a shirt on.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I'm 6'1" 240 lbs, but the length of my legs is probably very close to yours. I'm just wider (wait till your married and have a kid :p). This rig would fit you very similarly. I recommend it or the VMII for a person your size, as well as the fact that you should carry a single stack 1911 with slim grips.You wouldn't even kow it's there. My TRS is probably as slimas your Kel tec, but I carry 9 rounds of .45 cal JHP.

acrimsontide

imported post

I carry a 1911 every day in a Milt Sparks VMII. It is extremely comfortable and I think it is well worth the wait to get one.

joelevi

imported post

bobcat wrote:

If you haven't checked out Mitch Rosen, you owe it to yourself to see what he offers.

http://mitchrosen.com/product_line/holsters/inside_waistband/body_inside_waistband.html

I went for "The Workman" which is a "tuckable" IWB holster for my Glock Model 30. I had to talk Mitch into making it, he was worried the particular gun would be too thick for easy concealability.

I've worn it almost every day for several years. The thing is awesome. Hands down, it's the best holster I've EVER owned.

- Joe Levi
Are you a Sitting Duck? Do you know what companies have a "Sitting Duck Policy"? Find out a http://SittingDuckPolicy.com