• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for IWB Leather

bobcat

imported post

Thanks all for your reply's. Some good options are popping up. Hopefully this will help others also.

CerebralFix, that's a great explanation on how to stabilize the rig. That would go a long way in explaining why my previous SP101 IWB rig w/ single clipwas a PIA. Convenient, but not a setup that exudes any confidence.

.40Cal: Thanks for some good input, although that's possibly waaay too much information.:what:;)

from .40Cal:

Milt Sparks VMII is my favorite IWB. I carry a 1911 almost every day, all day. Sometimes I forget it's there.

That's what I'm lookin' for. Now to go find one...

W5DVC

imported post

bobcat wrote:
I'm looking for an IWB holster. It needs to be all leather, dual snap similar to Crossbred's design. I simply don't like kydex.

Open top with reinforced top for ease of reholstering. Body side panel should cover firearm where it might touch clothing/skin. Cocked and locked 1911 style sidearms tend to bite (even if dehorned) with active lifestyles. When you carry all day+, these things are not only noticed, but can get quite uncomfortable.

I've also looked at Tucker and they have some nice stuff. A bit more $$. The Texas Heritageis more the style I'm looking for, but with snaps. The leather snaps blend more with leather belts and I simply prefer snaps.

Picky? Maybe, but those of you that carry regular know how nice it is to have the most comfortable, correct (to your tastes/habits) gear. Leadtimes should be relatively short. Either on the self or just a few weeks. I'm not interested in waiting months.

I've looked at DeSantis, Bianchi, Galco and others. I currently have several DeSantis OWB holsters and generally like them. Most of the companies I've looked at offer and IWB with a dual snap directly over the holster, which just makes it thicker in a place thickness is not desired and with a single central location affords no 'wheelbase' to prevent shifting. If you've carried a minimalist IWB, you know what I'm talking about. IMO, part of a holsters job is to keep the sidearm exactly where you want it. No shifting and forcing a 'tell' while CC'g or worse yet causing you to touch and readjust while OC'g. Bad form. Not to mention the sidearm not being exactly where you expect it to be if you need it...

I know the stuff is out there because I've seen it in photographs and on folks a time or two.

Thanks in advance.
I have carried a H&K USP .45 EXPERT AND TACTICAL and a STI EDGE in a MILT SPARKS VERSA-MAXII IWB HOLSTER.....Maximum concealment and comfort all day or all night long . It's reinforced around the top to hold it open for reholstering . I'm waiting for a Tucker even as we speak ......actually 3 of them (2) HF-3'S for a 4" S&W 500 MAG ( one Brown and one Black Cherry ) and a Texas Heritage IWB for the same weopon,the only difference I can see is the Tucker IWB doesn't have the reinforcement around the top of the holster , and the fact that he will make the holsters for the BIG SMITH and Milt SPARKS WON'T , that and the price, but I won't complain about that especially since his products are the BEST LOOKING LEATHER GEAR I'VE EVER SEEN. Our TEXAS RANGERS DON'T WEAR HIS GEAR FOR NOTHING . As for having to wait on the work , all I can say is work of this quality is worth waiting for . If you could find it on every street corner then we would all wind up wearing the same thing , where is the sense in that . W5DVC

W5DVC

imported post

bobcat wrote:
Thanks all for your reply's. Some good options are popping up. Hopefully this will help others also.

CerebralFix, that's a great explanation on how to stabilize the rig. That would go a long way in explaining why my previous SP101 IWB rig w/ single clipwas a PIA. Convenient, but not a setup that exudes any confidence.

.40Cal: Thanks for some good input, although that's possibly waaay too much information.:what:;)

from .40Cal:

Milt Sparks VMII is my favorite IWB. I carry a 1911 almost every day, all day. Sometimes I forget it's there.

That's what I'm lookin' for. Now to go find one...
You can find one @ [url]www.miltsparks.com[/url]

Thecarguy

imported post

The Combat Handguns magazine did a review of the Blackhawk IWB holster. It sounded good so I ordered one off their website. About $70 shipped.

I'm impressed. It's all leather molded to fit your exact gun. I have a Springfield XDM and since I've been using it for about two weeks now I don't even really notice it. Is it there yes, does it bother me, not at all. It's reinforced around the top and also has a set screw for setting the tension.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Leather,1418.htm

younggun20

imported post

Could IWB holsters be used for Open carry? I have been kind of debating this with myself the last day or 2. If I tucked my shirt behind the holster, even all the way around, its sort of out there, but still concealed unless you look hard enough, which is what im worried about. Well now that I read that out loud I think i convinced myself it would stil be concealed. Any other opinions?

eyesopened

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
Could IWB holsters be used for Open carry? I have been kind of debating this with myself the last day or 2. If I tucked my shirt behind the holster, even all the way around, its sort of out there, but still concealed unless you look hard enough, which is what im worried about. Well now that I read that out loud I think i convinced myself it would stil be concealed. Any other opinions?
I guess it depends on the laws of your state. In VA, it's been called the "VA Tuck". The reason is that we are not legally allowed to Conceal Carry in a restaurant that has an ABC license for consumption. So when visit such a restaurant and you are wearing an IWB holster, you just tuck your shirt behind the grip and walk in. Perfectly legal. Our law reads that the gun is considered concealed, if it is "hidden from common observation". The visible grip of the gun is enough visibility to not be considered concealed.