Thread: Guess we have to leave our guns at home

Post imported post

Since we're now under a State of Emergance (see http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/01...e-of-emergency) we have to leave our guns at home. See this topic: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/15676.html

Post imported post

We really need to get that law changed or clarified....unbelieveably absurd!!!!

Post imported post

I guess now they would have to worry about us shooting snowmen.

That actually sounds fun.

Post imported post

Well, I couldn't get your link to work...so I Googled it. I found this one...

http://politics.mync.com/2009/01/per...owfall-mounts/

Pretty messed up if you askus! Over a couple of inches of snow and some ice on the roads????? GRRRRRR....

Deb

Post imported post

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have read most of the posts in the NC section already, it is a great source of knowledge. I was not aware of the state of emergency restrictions in our law until I saw it here. I don't like it at all.

This is ridiculous that just because a portion of the state got snow, everyone in the entire 100 counties has their rights trampled and left unable to defend themselves. Any suggestions on how to go about getting this changed, or who to complain to?

Ben

Post imported post

Funny thing though, just like most gun laws, the people who enforce them don't really know them. Just saying....

Post imported post

I'm glad I chimed into the site today. I didn't even connect Perdue's State of Emergency with the firearm on my belt.

How long does it last?

Post imported post

When I took my CCW course2 years ago I asked my instructor about this very thing. I had previously heard that it was not legal to carry during a declared state of emergency. It was not covered in my study materials, so I asked about it. He told me that it was legal for me to carry under those circumstances. Headded that is when you may need it the most.

Ironically, the instructor is a long term officer onmy county'sSheriff's Dept.!

This is a law that needs to be repealed.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Call, write, and visit your legislators and urge them to introduce a bill to repeal it--not to mention many other absurd"gun-freezones!"
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/News...c95c756039.pdf

It ends when she say it does! Keep an eye out on the executiveorders page!

"

Section 7. This Executive Order shall become effective immediately and shall

continue until it is terminated in writing.

"

Post imported post

I know that a SOE effects concealed carry, but it also effects open carry? Its ridiculous either way, but taking out OC is just plain dumb.....

Post imported post

The provision prohibits the transport of any firearm off your property during the State of Emergency. Meaning no CC, no open carry, no putting your shotgun in the trunk of your car to go hunting or to the skeet range, etc, etc. A really stupid law that probably most folks don't know about.

If it were enforced, a lot of folks could have been arrested back in the fall when we had one after a hurricane and it was at the beginning of dove hunting season...anyone who went hunting or to the range during that time could have been charged.....really, really dumb!!!!

Post imported post

Write your state reps and senators about this... It takes about 10 mins to send them an email or type up a letter. With the current make up of our state's legislative bodies we may not get it changed, but we can bring it to their awareness.

Post imported post

Besides contacting your representatives please join Grass Roots of NC. They are working hard to get a lot of our ridiculous gun laws changed!! They will also alert you of pending actions.

NCH

Post imported post

AndrewGWU wrote:
    Write your state reps and senators about this... It takes about 10 mins to send them an email or type up a letter. With the current make up of our state's legislative bodies we may not get it changed, but we can bring it to their awareness.
    I have 3 letters ready to go out now to the state reps, but about SOEs and concealed carry. Also about the alcohol and carry (51% law isnt too much to ask for, is it?)

jkeith wrote:

The provision prohibits the transport of any firearm off your property during the State of Emergency. Meaning no CC, no open carry, no putting your shotgun in the trunk of your car to go hunting or to the skeet range, etc, etc. A really stupid law that probably most folks don't know about.

If it were enforced, a lot of folks could have been arrested back in the fall when we had one after a hurricane and it was at the beginning of dove hunting season...anyone who went hunting or to the range during that time could have been charged.....really, really dumb!!!!
    Thanks for the clarification. THat sucks.

Post imported post

Hey folks...the state of emergency has been lifted!!!! Just thought we'd let ya'll know.

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/News...b2391cec4b.pdf

Jeff & Deb