• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guess we have to leave our guns at home

bengnc

imported post

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have read most of the posts in the NC section already, it is a great source of knowledge. I was not aware of the state of emergency restrictions in our law until I saw it here. I don't like it at all.

This is ridiculous that just because a portion of the state got snow, everyone in the entire 100 counties has their rights trampled and left unable to defend themselves. Any suggestions on how to go about getting this changed, or who to complain to?

Ben

Mungo

imported post

I'm glad I chimed into the site today. I didn't even connect Perdue's State of Emergency with the firearm on my belt.

How long does it last?

Resto Guy

imported post

When I took my CCW course2 years ago I asked my instructor about this very thing. I had previously heard that it was not legal to carry during a declared state of emergency. It was not covered in my study materials, so I asked about it. He told me that it was legal for me to carry under those circumstances. Headded that is when you may need it the most.

Ironically, the instructor is a long term officer onmy county'sSheriff's Dept.!

This is a law that needs to be repealed.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Call, write, and visit your legislators and urge them to introduce a bill to repeal it--not to mention many other absurd"gun-freezones!"

Cameronswmp9

imported post

I know that a SOE effects concealed carry, but it also effects open carry? Its ridiculous either way, but taking out OC is just plain dumb.....

jkeith

imported post

The provision prohibits the transport of any firearm off your property during the State of Emergency. Meaning no CC, no open carry, no putting your shotgun in the trunk of your car to go hunting or to the skeet range, etc, etc. A really stupid law that probably most folks don't know about.

If it were enforced, a lot of folks could have been arrested back in the fall when we had one after a hurricane and it was at the beginning of dove hunting season...anyone who went hunting or to the range during that time could have been charged.....really, really dumb!!!!

AndrewGWU

imported post

Write your state reps and senators about this... It takes about 10 mins to send them an email or type up a letter. With the current make up of our state's legislative bodies we may not get it changed, but we can bring it to their awareness.

NCHornet

imported post

Besides contacting your representatives please join Grass Roots of NC. They are working hard to get a lot of our ridiculous gun laws changed!! They will also alert you of pending actions.

NCH

Cameronswmp9

imported post

AndrewGWU wrote:
Write your state reps and senators about this... It takes about 10 mins to send them an email or type up a letter. With the current make up of our state's legislative bodies we may not get it changed, but we can bring it to their awareness.

I have 3 letters ready to go out now to the state reps, but about SOEs and concealed carry. Also about the alcohol and carry (51% law isnt too much to ask for, is it?)

jkeith wrote:
The provision prohibits the transport of any firearm off your property during the State of Emergency. Meaning no CC, no open carry, no putting your shotgun in the trunk of your car to go hunting or to the skeet range, etc, etc. A really stupid law that probably most folks don't know about.

If it were enforced, a lot of folks could have been arrested back in the fall when we had one after a hurricane and it was at the beginning of dove hunting season...anyone who went hunting or to the range during that time could have been charged.....really, really dumb!!!!
Thanks for the clarification. THat sucks.