• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA supports Open Carry...

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I sent an e-mail to find out for myself. I asked for their position on open carry and if they were supporting the movement in Texas. I received a reply within an hour. Here is their reply...

-----

Dear Mr. Jacobs,

Thanks for contacting NRA-ILA. NRA supports Open-Carry and currently pursues Open-Carry legislation on a state level. NRA endorses Open-Carry in the state of Texas.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Krista Cupp

NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

True story. Bout time we got their support. Mike, Is there a way we can get something official from the NRA stating their positions on OC?

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Yeah... It would be nice to get radio commercials with their endorsement.

I replied to the e-mail asking them for proof of their support... No response as of yet.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
True story. Bout time we got their support. Mike, Is there a way we can get something official from the NRA stating their positions on OC?
My guess is they will support Rep. Riddle when she introduces her bill - not sure they codify a lot at teh state level on every issue.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I sent the TSRA an e-mail saying that I was interested in joining as a lifetime member but only if they are going to support open carry. I've sent them 2 e-mails along those lines.

I haven't received a response from them.

They also may not know the NRA is supporting Open Carry. It took 5 e-mails to the NRA before they finally responded to be with a reply. They aren't being very public about it so I'm still not convinced they are supporting it.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richlub wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
It will be interesting to see if TSRA changes their tune in light of this response.
I have said before, if TSRA won't support open carry then they won't get no money from me! I sent them a letter stating just that.

Personally I wouldn't plan on open carrying the majority of the time, but I would definitely prefer to use my OWB holster, and be able to take off my jacket or other cover garment at certain times.

One major CONCERN that I have with open carrying is this:
Your gun visible to everyone, and we would need some protection from some anti-gun person falsely claiming that you pulled your gun, and or waved it around or pointed it at them. With it concealed, that would be very difficult because nobody could describe your gun, or even know what color it is. I can just see this happening to somebody, and it would be your word against the liar who called the police and made up the story. Who do you think the police will believe when they show up?

I have never heard of this happening here in Arizona. In fact I've never heard of it happening anywhere. Lying under oath is a serious offense. I don't think it would be an issue.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

richlub wrote:
Just hope you don't run into Sarah Brady or one of her supposed million friends...

Until your post I always thought of her as someone just pushing for background checks, I never paid any attention to the Brady Campaign (That was a bad idea)... I didn't realize that she was an ignorant un-American. People like her are very ungrateful for our founding fathers. Send her and her friends to live in Iraq.

So thanks for informing me.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Notso wrote:
richlub wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
It will be interesting to see if TSRA changes their tune in light of this response.
I have said before, if TSRA won't support open carry then they won't get no money from me! I sent them a letter stating just that.

Personally I wouldn't plan on open carrying the majority of the time, but I would definitely prefer to use my OWB holster, and be able to take off my jacket or other cover garment at certain times.

Your gun visible to everyone, and we would need some protection from some anti-gun person falsely claiming that you pulled your gun, and or waved it around or pointed it at them. With it concealed, that would be very difficult because nobody could describe your gun, or even know what color it is. I can just see this happening to somebody, and it would be your word against the liar who called the police and made up the story. Who do you think the police will believe when they show up?

I have never heard of this happening here in Arizona. In fact I've never heard of it happening anywhere. Lying under oath is a serious offense. I don't think it would be an issue.

I encourage you to read mypost on the separate TSRA thread.

This is a quick summary:I was like you, waited to join, felt they weren't doing enough. I had a chance to talk to one of their leaders and get the inside scoop and I changed my mind once I got the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say:

1) I wasn't giving them enough credit for past good work (CHL was VERY controversial when passed and has gotten better ever since).

2) Our effectiveness in bringing open carry to the forefront surprised them. They simply weren't prepared. That's changing.

3) They respond to the desires of their members. Some of the things they have done recently weren't as high on this leader's personal priority list but he & TSRA took them on because that's what their membership wanted. For example, they've pledged to get parking lot carry and college campus carry done this session. Thus, more members wanting OC means they will pay more attention to it. Change from the inside.

4) All 2A groups need to join forces in this environment. OCDO probably can't do this alone. We just don't have the contacts in Austin. They do. We've done great work to get the issue to where it is but if we want the best chance at success, it would be wise to partner with someone who can help. I want OC so badly that I put my money where my mouth is both here and there. :D

SA-TX

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

richlub wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

If you're really worried about that, check this out:
http://www.spycameras.com/pen_camera_pen_camcorder.htm

wrightme

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
NRA-ILA :: Important Right to Carry Bill introduced in Texas!
Posted and forwarded by the NRA. Date on the posting 20JAN2009. Date on the email 24JAN2009.

Point taken. I will go back to other pursuits. :uhoh:

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

wrightme wrote:
DopaVash wrote:
NRA-ILA :: Important Right to Carry Bill introduced in Texas!
Posted and forwarded by the NRA.  Date on the posting 20JAN2009.  Date on the email 24JAN2009.

That bill has nothing to do with open carry... How did you come up with that idea?

That bill is for removing the requirement to show CHL.