Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x54R bulk purchase

Post imported post

I'd like to place an order after the 1st of the month if I can get a few folks on board. By aiming for Feb it gives me the rest of the month to search out the best prices.

If you are interested let me know (PM is best, in case of thread hijack) with how many rounds you are interested in. I'll update this first thread with user names and quantity.

M1Gunr - 1000+
    TechnoWeenie 500-1000
    Cougar125 800-1600

Post imported post

Definitely time to stock up now. Too bad I don't have a Mosin yet.

Post imported post

500-1000 rounds possibly depending on price... I don't care about it being corrosive, milsurp is fine for me.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

800-1600 rounds depending on price. Are you looking at spam cans or ???

Post imported post

I'm looking for the best price in bulk, I don't care how it comes packaged. More than likely it will come in "spam cans."

Post imported post

I think midway had an ad for 79.99 /440 rounds

Post imported post

Currently:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8736
    $75 / 440 rds steel core
    $300 / 1200 copper jacketed
    Add $60 for for ground shipping

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm
    shipping inc
    $355 / 1200 rds 182gr FMJBT Ball (yugo surplus)
    $229 / 880 FMJBT DPS

http://www.surplusammo.com
    $175 / 880 FMJ Russian spam can

http://www.Midway.com
    180gr FMJ Winchester USA ammo
    $365 / 400

http://sportsmansguide.com
    149gr FMJ
    $170 / 880 Bulgarian

http://Cheaperthandirt.com
    147gr FMJBT silver tipped
    $130 / 440 Russian spamcan

I haven't checked local contacts yet.

Post imported post

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C...ight_Ball.html
    Czech 147 grn FMJ Light Ball
    800 rnds $150.

Post imported post

d0od wrote:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C...ight_Ball.html
    Czech 147 grn FMJ Light Ball
    800 rnds $150.

$600 / 3600 rds plus shipping ($202.09) = $802.09

Number 1K post.....:celebrate

Post imported post

Nevermind, already covered

Post imported post

As much as I want in on this, I just can't justify the cost. Money's tight and I already have around 1000 rounds of x54r for my three girls: Bethany, Svetlana, and Ivanova. (1943 Izzy m91/30 ex-PU, 1943 Izzy m91/59, and 1938 Izzy m91/59, respectively)
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

It's been posted already, I just wanted to emphasize this:

Sure it's berdan-primed lightly corrosive, but who cares? It's steel core with a steel tip FMJBT for 29.5 cents a piece.

Manufacturer: MilitaryAMM653
    Item: AMM-653

Russian military 7.62x54R ammunition, 147 grain, BT FMJ, Silver-tipped bullet produced from the 1970s to 1980s. Lead and steel core, steel cased, Berdan primed, and steel tip packed in a sealed 440 round spam can with 20 round sub packs, ideal for long term storage. This excellent ammo performs well in both old and new model firearms and is slightly corrosive; clean your gun after using.

One user commented, "Shot through railroad base plate at 100 yard with my 91/30 Mosin."

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM653-5.html

This makes me wish I had a nice Mosin-Nagant!

Post imported post

Depending on the price per round I would be in for 1k give or take.

Post imported post

If these guys can sell it at these prices and still turn a profit, is there any way we can find an importer and cut out a couple more of the middle-men?

I know a guy who got 1k of 308 for something cheap, don't remember the exact price, said he got it through some South African guy who buys Israeli exports. Maybe I'll see if I can look him up.

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    If these guys can sell it at these prices and still turn a profit, is there any way we can find an importer and cut out a couple more of the middle-men?

I know a guy who got 1k of 308 for something cheap, don't remember the exact price, said he got it through some South African guy who buys Israeli exports. Maybe I'll see if I can look him up.
    I'd love to get ahold of reloadable mil-surp 7.62x51 ammo at a decent price. Let me know if you get anywhere with this.

Post imported post

shad0wfax,

Could you define wht "decent price" means for you? In recent months CheaperThanDirt had some (Lithuanian?) boxer-primed 7.62x51, and just now midwayusa.com had some Winchester contract-overrun (I bought some of both, but CtD has been out for a long time, don't know about Midway and their Winchester.)

Post imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
    cynicist wrote:

I'd love to get ahold of reloadable mil-surp 7.62x51 ammo at a decent price. Let me know if you get anywhere with this.
    I'm with you on that. I bought about 800 rnds on a couple of deals that CTD had going, something like $11 for 20 rnds. But that was.308, not mil-surp 7.62x51. Prices now are pretty bad. cynicistif you can find that contact, you have two buyers here.

Post imported post

I'm gonna go see the guy that got the 308s tomorrow. I talked to him about the ammo about 2 weeks ago and he said he thought he had the guy's number somewhere but would have to look for it.

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    I'm gonna go see the guy that got the 308s tomorrow. I talked to him about the ammo about 2 weeks ago and he said he thought he had the guy's number somewhere but would have to look for it.
    Cool. Let me know what the price is and what type of ammunition it is. (specifically if it's boxer or berdan primed, I don't care if the pockets are crimped or not)

kparker wrote:
    shad0wfax,

Could you define wht "decent price" means for you? In recent months CheaperThanDirt had some (Lithuanian?) boxer-primed 7.62x51, and just now midwayusa.com had some Winchester contract-overrun (I bought some of both, but CtD has been out for a long time, don't know about Midway and their Winchester.)

The midwayusa 7.62 overrun (on sale right now)is $0.625 per round + shipping and it's already gone. When it's not on sale it's $0.70 per round + shipping.

So.... I figure anything reloadable that's less than $0.60 per round is a decent price. I'd be tickled if I could find stuffunder $0.50 per round that's reloadable but that's not likely to happen.

If it's not reloadable, the price would have to be $0.40 per round or less for me to consider it worth the money. (My time spent reloading is not a factor to me, since I enjoy doing it, so it has to be even with my reloading costs.)

I think I can get 10 firings (9 reloads) from one cartridge in my M1A with the slightly under-max loads I normally shoot. Decent bulk brass (Remington) has been going for a bit under$0.36 a piece, so I figure $0.04 per reload in brass costs. I was lucky enough to get ahold of CCI No. 34 hardened primers (because my M1A does slam-fire with some of the "regular" primers out there) for $0.03 each. Powder is costing me $0.11 per round. Bullets are costing me $0.20.

The problem is, Remington brass is not available right now. The only things I can find are Lapua and Norma and there's no way I can afford the price tag those brands command, no matter how great the brass is. (Unless I can get 20-25 reloads out of their brass, which I doubt...)

Factoring in the shipping costs on the things I have to buy online adds about $0.02 per round, bringing my total reload cost up to $0.40 a round.

Post imported post

The midwayusa 7.62 overrun (on sale right now) is $0.625 per round + shipping and it's already gone. When it's not on sale it's $0.70 per round + shipping.

So.... I figure anything reloadable that's less than $0.60 per round is a decent price.
    Just to clarify, you define "decent" as "lower than the lowest price anyone's seen recently"? Not to quibble over wording too much, but your definition of "decent" is much more stringent than mine--that would be something more like "fabulous" in my book! So heck yeah, if you find something at that price, I'd love to join the stampede buying it!!! (After you've bought all you can manage, of course!)

Regarding this:

I think I can get 10 firings (9 reloads) from one cartridge in my M1A with the slightly under-max loads I normally shoot.
    How does your "slightly under-max" load compare to the standard NATO one? I.e. am I right in assuming it's a bit hotter than the military load and by extrapolation one might get perhaps more than 9 reloads per cartridge? (I'm about to start doing this myself, and plan to duplicate the std NATO load as close as I can, that's why I'm wondering.)

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    The midwayusa 7.62 overrun (on sale right now) is $0.625 per round + shipping and it's already gone. When it's not on sale it's $0.70 per round + shipping.

So.... I figure anything reloadable that's less than $0.60 per round is a decent price.
    Just to clarify, you define "decent" as "lower than the lowest price anyone's seen recently"? Not to quibble over wording too much, but your definition of "decent" is much more stringent than mine--that would be something more like "fabulous" in my book! So heck yeah, if you find something at that price, I'd love to join the stampede buying it!!! (After you've bought all you can manage, of course!)

Regarding this:

I think I can get 10 firings (9 reloads) from one cartridge in my M1A with the slightly under-max loads I normally shoot.
    How does your "slightly under-max" load compare to the standard NATO one? I.e. am I right in assuming it's a bit hotter than the military load and by extrapolation one might get perhaps more than 9 reloads per cartridge? (I'm about to start doing this myself, and plan to duplicate the std NATO load as close as I can, that's why I'm wondering.)

1) Yes, my definition of "decent" means at least as good as Midway's price if not better. (especially since Midway's stuff is USA made and made recently, whereas we're talking about much older foreign surplus here...)

2) My loads are at NATO pressures or just slightly (and I mean a few tenths of a grain hotter) than NATO pressures. No, I don't have a strain gauge or copper slugs so I can't give you exact amounts, but I try to keep my loads on par with NATO. I am shooting old NATO brass and my dies are Forster National Match dies (which are NATO full-length size, not .308 Win full-length size). My firearm can shoot both .308 win and NATO stuff, but it seems to like the NATO stuff better.

IMR 4895 does a good job at keeping the pressures low with decent velocities for the 147 to 168 gr bullets. H-4895 is a bit slower and a bit lower pressure.

Post imported post

shad0wfax,

Thanks for the info! That sounds about like what I'm setting out to do (including using IMR 4895).

And yeah, for the stuff that Midway had, I was forgetting about the US-made and brand-new-manufacture aspects of it. :?

Post imported post

Cheapest I've found in my search

Mary's Pistols
    7.62x54R - 3600 rounds 783.36 out the door (.20 per round)
    7.62x39 - 700 rounds 228.48 out the door (.30 per round)

Surplus Ammo in Lakewood
    700 rounds for $80.
    3500 rounds $478.40 out the door (11.5 per round)

Lets get a order placed.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

Surplus Ammo in Lakewood
    700 rounds for $80.

Lets get a order placed.
    Is that price of 3500for 7.62x54R? If so, I'll take 1K.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Cheapest I've found in my search

Mary's Pistols
    7.62x54R - 3600 rounds 783.36 out the door (.20 per round)
    7.62x39 - 700 rounds 228.48 out the door (.30 per round)

Surplus Ammo in Lakewood
    700 rounds for $80.

Lets get a order placed.
    Jeez! For 11.5 cents per round out the door, I can scrimp and save for at least 500 rounds, if not 1000.

Last time I bought huge bulk ammo from a retail outlet, it was 14 cents per round for Czech silvertip.

Edit: actually, that's 13.6 cents per round out the door. And the x39 is 32 cents out the door. Were you doing the "per round" before tax?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast