• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

7.62x54R bulk purchase

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I'd like to place an order after the 1st of the month if I can get a few folks on board. By aiming for Feb it gives me the rest of the month to search out the best prices.

If you are interested let me know (PM is best, in case of thread hijack) with how many rounds you are interested in. I'll update this first thread with user names and quantity.

M1Gunr - 1000+
TechnoWeenie 500-1000
Cougar125 800-1600

TechnoWeenie

imported post

500-1000 rounds possibly depending on price... I don't care about it being corrosive, milsurp is fine for me.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Currently:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8736
$75 / 440 rds steel core
$300 / 1200 copper jacketed
Add $60 for for ground shipping

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm
shipping inc
$355 / 1200 rds 182gr FMJBT Ball (yugo surplus)
$229 / 880 FMJBT DPS

http://www.surplusammo.com
$175 / 880 FMJ Russian spam can

http://www.Midway.com
180gr FMJ Winchester USA ammo
$365 / 400

http://sportsmansguide.com
149gr FMJ
$170 / 880 Bulgarian

http://Cheaperthandirt.com
147gr FMJBT silver tipped
$130 / 440 Russian spamcan

I haven't checked local contacts yet.

just_a_car

imported post

As much as I want in on this, I just can't justify the cost. Money's tight and I already have around 1000 rounds of x54r for my three girls: Bethany, Svetlana, and Ivanova. (1943 Izzy m91/30 ex-PU, 1943 Izzy m91/59, and 1938 Izzy m91/59, respectively)

shad0wfax

imported post

It's been posted already, I just wanted to emphasize this:

Sure it's berdan-primed lightly corrosive, but who cares? It's steel core with a steel tip FMJBT for 29.5 cents a piece.

Manufacturer: MilitaryAMM653
Item: AMM-653

Russian military 7.62x54R ammunition, 147 grain, BT FMJ, Silver-tipped bullet produced from the 1970s to 1980s. Lead and steel core, steel cased, Berdan primed, and steel tip packed in a sealed 440 round spam can with 20 round sub packs, ideal for long term storage. This excellent ammo performs well in both old and new model firearms and is slightly corrosive; clean your gun after using.

One user commented, "Shot through railroad base plate at 100 yard with my 91/30 Mosin."

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM653-5.html

This makes me wish I had a nice Mosin-Nagant!

cynicist

imported post

If these guys can sell it at these prices and still turn a profit, is there any way we can find an importer and cut out a couple more of the middle-men?

I know a guy who got 1k of 308 for something cheap, don't remember the exact price, said he got it through some South African guy who buys Israeli exports. Maybe I'll see if I can look him up.

shad0wfax

imported post

cynicist wrote:
If these guys can sell it at these prices and still turn a profit, is there any way we can find an importer and cut out a couple more of the middle-men?

I know a guy who got 1k of 308 for something cheap, don't remember the exact price, said he got it through some South African guy who buys Israeli exports. Maybe I'll see if I can look him up.
I'd love to get ahold of reloadable mil-surp 7.62x51 ammo at a decent price. Let me know if you get anywhere with this.

kparker

imported post

shad0wfax,

Could you define wht "decent price" means for you? In recent months CheaperThanDirt had some (Lithuanian?) boxer-primed 7.62x51, and just now midwayusa.com had some Winchester contract-overrun (I bought some of both, but CtD has been out for a long time, don't know about Midway and their Winchester.)

Derka

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
cynicist wrote:

I'd love to get ahold of reloadable mil-surp 7.62x51 ammo at a decent price. Let me know if you get anywhere with this.
I'm with you on that. I bought about 800 rnds on a couple of deals that CTD had going, something like $11 for 20 rnds. But that was.308, not mil-surp 7.62x51. Prices now are pretty bad. cynicistif you can find that contact, you have two buyers here.

cynicist

imported post

I'm gonna go see the guy that got the 308s tomorrow. I talked to him about the ammo about 2 weeks ago and he said he thought he had the guy's number somewhere but would have to look for it.

shad0wfax

imported post

cynicist wrote:
I'm gonna go see the guy that got the 308s tomorrow. I talked to him about the ammo about 2 weeks ago and he said he thought he had the guy's number somewhere but would have to look for it.

Cool. Let me know what the price is and what type of ammunition it is. (specifically if it's boxer or berdan primed, I don't care if the pockets are crimped or not)

kparker wrote:
shad0wfax,

Could you define wht "decent price" means for you? In recent months CheaperThanDirt had some (Lithuanian?) boxer-primed 7.62x51, and just now midwayusa.com had some Winchester contract-overrun (I bought some of both, but CtD has been out for a long time, don't know about Midway and their Winchester.)

The midwayusa 7.62 overrun (on sale right now)is $0.625 per round + shipping and it's already gone. When it's not on sale it's $0.70 per round + shipping.

So.... I figure anything reloadable that's less than $0.60 per round is a decent price. I'd be tickled if I could find stuffunder $0.50 per round that's reloadable but that's not likely to happen.

If it's not reloadable, the price would have to be $0.40 per round or less for me to consider it worth the money. (My time spent reloading is not a factor to me, since I enjoy doing it, so it has to be even with my reloading costs.)

I think I can get 10 firings (9 reloads) from one cartridge in my M1A with the slightly under-max loads I normally shoot. Decent bulk brass (Remington) has been going for a bit under$0.36 a piece, so I figure $0.04 per reload in brass costs. I was lucky enough to get ahold of CCI No. 34 hardened primers (because my M1A does slam-fire with some of the "regular" primers out there) for $0.03 each. Powder is costing me $0.11 per round. Bullets are costing me $0.20.

The problem is, Remington brass is not available right now. The only things I can find are Lapua and Norma and there's no way I can afford the price tag those brands command, no matter how great the brass is. (Unless I can get 20-25 reloads out of their brass, which I doubt...)

Factoring in the shipping costs on the things I have to buy online adds about $0.02 per round, bringing my total reload cost up to $0.40 a round.

kparker

imported post

The midwayusa 7.62 overrun (on sale right now) is $0.625 per round + shipping and it's already gone. When it's not on sale it's $0.70 per round + shipping.

So.... I figure anything reloadable that's less than $0.60 per round is a decent price.

Just to clarify, you define "decent" as "lower than the lowest price anyone's seen recently"? Not to quibble over wording too much, but your definition of "decent" is much more stringent than mine--that would be something more like "fabulous" in my book! ;) So heck yeah, if you find something at that price, I'd love to join the stampede buying it!!! (After you've bought all you can manage, of course!)

Regarding this:

I think I can get 10 firings (9 reloads) from one cartridge in my M1A with the slightly under-max loads I normally shoot.

How does your "slightly under-max" load compare to the standard NATO one? I.e. am I right in assuming it's a bit hotter than the military load and by extrapolation one might get perhaps more than 9 reloads per cartridge? (I'm about to start doing this myself, and plan to duplicate the std NATO load as close as I can, that's why I'm wondering.)