• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

7.62x54R bulk purchase

shad0wfax

imported post

kparker wrote:
The midwayusa 7.62 overrun (on sale right now) is $0.625 per round + shipping and it's already gone. When it's not on sale it's $0.70 per round + shipping.

So.... I figure anything reloadable that's less than $0.60 per round is a decent price.

Just to clarify, you define "decent" as "lower than the lowest price anyone's seen recently"? Not to quibble over wording too much, but your definition of "decent" is much more stringent than mine--that would be something more like "fabulous" in my book! ;) So heck yeah, if you find something at that price, I'd love to join the stampede buying it!!! (After you've bought all you can manage, of course!)

Regarding this:

I think I can get 10 firings (9 reloads) from one cartridge in my M1A with the slightly under-max loads I normally shoot.

How does your "slightly under-max" load compare to the standard NATO one? I.e. am I right in assuming it's a bit hotter than the military load and by extrapolation one might get perhaps more than 9 reloads per cartridge? (I'm about to start doing this myself, and plan to duplicate the std NATO load as close as I can, that's why I'm wondering.)

1) Yes, my definition of "decent" means at least as good as Midway's price if not better. (especially since Midway's stuff is USA made and made recently, whereas we're talking about much older foreign surplus here...)

2) My loads are at NATO pressures or just slightly (and I mean a few tenths of a grain hotter) than NATO pressures. No, I don't have a strain gauge or copper slugs so I can't give you exact amounts, but I try to keep my loads on par with NATO. I am shooting old NATO brass and my dies are Forster National Match dies (which are NATO full-length size, not .308 Win full-length size). My firearm can shoot both .308 win and NATO stuff, but it seems to like the NATO stuff better.

IMR 4895 does a good job at keeping the pressures low with decent velocities for the 147 to 168 gr bullets. H-4895 is a bit slower and a bit lower pressure.

kparker

imported post

shad0wfax,

Thanks for the info! That sounds about like what I'm setting out to do (including using IMR 4895).

And yeah, for the stuff that Midway had, I was forgetting about the US-made and brand-new-manufacture aspects of it. :?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Cheapest I've found in my search

Mary's Pistols
7.62x54R - 3600 rounds 783.36 out the door (.20 per round)
7.62x39 - 700 rounds 228.48 out the door (.30 per round)

Surplus Ammo in Lakewood
700 rounds for $80.
3500 rounds $478.40 out the door (11.5 per round)

Lets get a order placed.

Cougar125

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Surplus Ammo in Lakewood
700 rounds for $80.

Lets get a order placed.
Is that price of 3500for 7.62x54R? If so, I'll take 1K.

just_a_car

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

Mary's Pistols

Surplus Ammo in Lakewood
700 rounds for $80.

Lets get a order placed.
Jeez! For 11.5 cents per round out the door, I can scrimp and save for at least 500 rounds, if not 1000.

Last time I bought huge bulk ammo from a retail outlet, it was 14 cents per round for Czech silvertip.

Edit: actually, that's 13.6 cents per round out the door. And the x39 is 32 cents out the door. Were you doing the "per round" before tax?

okkid

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

Mary's Pistols

Surplus Ammo in Lakewood
700 rounds for $80.

Lets get a order placed.
700 for $80 I want in.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

CORRECTION !!

I am really sorry for the screw up but here goes:

Surplus ammo in Lakewood
440 round tins @ $89.99 (20.5 cents per round pre-tax)
880 rounds for 189.98

They will do "Will Call" if you want to place a credit card order and have me (or you) pick it up. I tried to get a bulk order discount but it got shot down.

Considering this new information I am getting my rounds from Mary's Pistols. I will contact Mary today and see if she will do a "Will Call" for ammo. I'll update this post as soon as I know.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The biggest issue here is how the rounds are being paid for... It turns out that even a bulk order shipped is only saving 2 cents over getting it locally.

Mary's Pistols currently has the cheapest price @ 20 cents a round. I'd suggest making the trip down and getting it from Dan.

n16ht5

imported post

I order from sportsmans guide...

Bulgarian light ball- 170 shipped for 880

Russian silver tip- 245 shipped for 880

I have a club acct and they have 10.00 off coupons.

Is the Bulgarian steel core? I've heard it is but I'm not sure

If you could get the .20 per rd, after tax I'd be game for 880 especially if its steel core

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

If you could get the .20 per rd, after tax I'd be game for 880 especially if its steel core
The 20 cents per round was from Dan and Mary's Pistols. I got 900 rounds after tax for $212. (23.5 per round)
Its amazing how the price of ammo has gone up. The first 2000 rounds I ever bought cost me $175 out the door (just over 8 cents per round)

Cougar125

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
The biggest issue here is how the rounds are being paid for... It turns out that even a bulk order shipped is only saving 2 cents over getting it locally.

Mary's Pistols currently has the cheapest price @ 20 cents a round. I'd suggest making the trip down and getting it from Dan.
W3rd. 20 cents per round. Got it there the other day when I was down there.