• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FIRST OC EXPERIENCE

ialexrick

imported post

I just turned 21 yesterday and bought a Kimber 1911 Tactical Pro II. I have fired 1911s many times so I felt comfortable with it. I got up the nerve to put it on and made sure it was visible over my jacket. My first stop was Liquor Barn and I don’t think anyone noticed until I went to check out. The lady asked me what I did. I asked her what she meant by that. She then asked, “Is that a real gun?” I responded with yes and that I am in the military. She asked more about what it takes to carry with regards to permits and I told her how lax Kentucky laws are and that you only need be 18 to open carry. I then informed her and the manager that the ‘No Concealed Deadly Weapons Allowed’ sign outside was not a legal sign. I didn’t even see it coming in but she informed me of it. I talked to the manager a little more about it and they both seemed really interested in carrying themselves. I then went on to Kroger and all I got there were a few long looks and a few whispers behind my back about it. I can say that I probably won’t be as nervous about it next time.

chris in va

imported post

Congratulations on your first OC experience. Definitely takes nerve.

One thing, you said...
I then informed her and the manager that the ‘No Concealed Deadly Weapons Allowed’ sign outside was not a legal sign
It's actually quite legal. Any business has the right to say you can't carry in their place. However, the cops can't arrest you for a firearms charge, it'll be trespassing if you argue or refuse to leave. Confrontation is NOT a good idea in that situation.

"No sir, I didn't see the sign.Sorry about that I'll leave now".

There's a similar version on one of the theater doors near me. They went a step further and tried to quote a statute dealing with permit revocation after non-renewal. I called the manager, but he said it's corporate policy and had no other information.

I responded with yes and that I am in the Air Force
Not that the USAF has anything to do with your carrying, but interesting it helped 'legitimize' the practice.

BTW what job do you do in the AF?

ialexrick

imported post

I guess I was not clear in my post. It was in no way a confrontation. I was referring to the law that wherever open carry is legal so is concealed carry thus making that sign illegal. I believe the law banning concealed only applies to government buildings. I could be wrong, but I have read about that several places on here before.

Yeah, after I told her I was in the military she was totally cool with it. I went through field training last summer and I am applying for pilot right now and I should hear back in about a month or so.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ialexrick, It sounds like you may want to checkout the Ky Statutes a bit more, before you get yourself in some trouble. The AF would frown on that I suspect.

You might do yourself and other OC'ers a favor by going back to the Liquor Barn and correct your error about their sign. Explain to them that although it may be legitiment, it is rather hard to enforce due to the fact that unless they put in a metal detecter at the door and pat down all that enter, they will never know who carries a handgun into their store "concealed". You should also point out to them that such signage could be an attractant to criminals that are always looking for a target that insures less risk of injury to themselves. Tell them that "gun free zones" are the bad guys favorite places to practice their trade.

Who knows? You might make pro-gun friends that start OC behind the counter. They may change their signage to, "OPEN CARRY ONLY".

JohnKelly

imported post

You were not in violation of their sign, which stated "No Concealed Weapons". You were openly carrying, so no problem :)

I'm curious, which Liquor Barn is this? I've shopped at the one in Lexington (Beaumont) before and seen no such sign.