• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you ever bought ammo for a stranger?

ShaneTbolt

imported post

Hello,

I'm new on here and thought I'd post something that happened to me today. I was at a Wal-Mart purchasing some ammo and a younger male had the guy behind the counter picked out a box of ammo for him. Then this younger male asked me to make the purchase for him because he was afraid he would be asked his age and then not be able to make hispurchase. I would not want to do this for any stranger let alone a younger male with gold all over his teeth who appears to still be in high school, plus he could not speak complete words or sentances. I saw how much his ammo cost and he had cash in his hand, I added up what he was holding and said he is short and I'm not going to pay the difference. That was my way of gently saying "no" with out actually saying "sorry I can't".

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

With all due respect against the thought police, I openly admit I probably would have alerted store officials and called 911, but that's just my paranoia...

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Smart move, I remember when I was under 18 and I target practiced more than I do now, but I could never buy the ammo!!!!!!! WTF I am 19 and I cannot buy pistol ammo, so i usually have my dad do it, if I did ask a complete stranger then I would show him my ID and anything else he wanted but I wouldn't have to do it because I would of thought about it before hand. Let me tell you IT SUCKS not being able to buy ammo!!!!!!

Ben

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I actually work for wal-mart and have had to cover the sporting goods desk quite a few times. BJA, the way my store is set up is that when pistol ammo gets rung up it asks if it is meant for a pistol or a rifle. What you could do is tell the clerk that it's going into a rifle and he'll probably sell to you. Just tell him you own a kel-tec or high-point carbine if he asks. I don't know if every store is set up this way but it might be a good workaround for you.

ShaneTbolt, I applaud you for good judgment. I personally would never buy something for a stranger even if it was something benign.

Here's an amusing antecedent for you guys. I've gotten to know the dpet manager over there really well and he told me this story one day. He was working one night and a guy walked up to the counter. He greeted him and asked if he could help him find something. The customer remarked that he had a really bad day at work and wanted to buy some ammo. The dept manager then told him that he was sorry and couldn't sell him any. The customer gave him a confused look and asked why. The dept manager then said think back to what you just told me. The customer thought for a second and then said "Oh....Yea, I really shouldn't have said that." Needless to say he walked out of the store empty-handed and hopefully will choose his works more carefully in the future. I most likely wouldn't have been a big deal but these days you have to be really careful.

opusd2

imported post

So you don't mention that you are going through a very rough divorce and have to meet with the X later to sign some papers?

BTW, as much as I support shooting, hunting, whatever, I would never buy for a stranger.

Decoligny

imported post

Pointman wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
[The department manager]was working one night and a guy walked up to the counter. .... The customer remarked that he had a really bad day at work and wanted to buy some ammo. The dept manager then told him that he was sorry and couldn't sell him any. The customer gave him a confused look and asked why. The dept manager then said think back to what you just told me. The customer thought for a second and then said "Oh....Yea, I really shouldn't have said that." Needless to say he walked out of the store empty-handed and hopefully will choose his works more carefully in the future.
That's pretty brainwashed.

Guy: "I had a really bad day at work so I'm going to go dancing."
Other guy thinks to himself: "Holy crap! I'd better call the police!"

When society stops acting like law-abiding citizens are felons because they own a gun we'll have made progress. The first step is to stop thinking that way ourselves.

Your buddy from next door, who you have taken to the range a couple of times and shown how to shoot your gun comes over and says, "My wife just left me for another man and took my life savings, can I borrow your pistol and some ammo?" You gonna say "Sure neighbor, go right ahead!", or are you going to think he might just be thinking of harming himself.

The clerk didn't think the guy wanted ammo to go rob a convenience store, he thought that the guy might have had a "really bad day" and might just be considering suicide. No brainwashing there, just common sense.

opusd2

imported post

Pointman wrote:

Your buddy from next door, who you have taken to the range a couple of times and shown how to shoot your gun comes over and says, "My wife just left me for another man and took my life savings, can I borrow your pistol and some ammo?" You gonna say "Sure neighbor, go right ahead!", or are you going to think he might just be thinking of harming himself.

The clerk didn't think the guy wanted ammo to go rob a convenience store, he thought that the guy might have had a "really bad day" and might just be considering suicide. No brainwashing there, just common sense.
I'd let him borrow the pistol, but would have him buy his own ammo. He might be just celebrating...

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry for going off topic here but I thought it was kinda funny/frustrating that some of the employees at badger arms in milwaukeethink it's illegal for anyone above 18 but under 21 to possess a pistol without their guardian being present the whole time, so now I can't shoot my pistol there:?. I will have to try that idea glockmeister!

Ben

FLR&@

imported post

Dose anyone else think this may be a setup/ sting like when the police send a kid into a store and have the kid try to buy beer or cigarettes?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Try hitting up Shooter's Shop or Fletcher arms. I think Badger is just trying to cover their collective asses. To my knowledge anyone over the age of 18 (barring the usual restrictions) can possess, transport, own, and shoot a pistol. They just can't buy one. I got around that law by haveing my dad purchase a couple for me. I went to shooter's shop and just never told them I was underage. They never carded me unless I wanted to rent and then they took the D/L as collateral.