• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a stolen gun

impulse

imported post

This of course has to do with purchasing from private seller. Is there anyway to find out, if the firearm your about to buy, isn't stolen? Such as a phone number or website?

SteveInAshand

imported post

impulse418 wrote:
This of course has to do with purchasing from private seller. Is there anyway to find out, if the firearm your about to buy, isn't stolen? Such as a phone number or website?
Sure there is, You can call your local police or sheriff and tell them what you are about to purchase and ask them to run the serial number.

Now your seller mite complain so let him know ahead of time to give them the right to refuse the sale, why, well because maybe your friend who is selling the gun accidentally bought a stolen gun and now you are by proxy turning him in, so think about it.

There can be a down side to buying private, even amongst friends.

Carnivore

imported post

I've bought handguns from private aquaintances, with them telling me that the gun has never been registered, and the history from them says jon doe bought it from his uncle, that got it from the original owner who used to be a jeweler, that bought it many years ago for his wife.. So after understanding the firearm went through three owners that are now deseased, I let my friend know that I was gonna have the sheriff run the numbers, and also assuring him that the Sheriff don't need to know who i intended to buy from, just that I'm considering buying such and such a handgun, MFG.,Caliber,model, semi auto, serial # XXXXXX .. they ran the numbers and said your good to go, and I left and made my purchase, and that was that..