• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in your car Manassas, VA and you will get arrested

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

OC in your car Manassas, VA and you will get arrested.. sooner or later..

The other day I decided to drop into Hatfield's Gunsmithing in Manassas to have my old Millet Combat sites (from my Marine Corps days) removed from my 10mm Delta Elite and have Trijicon Night sites put on instead.

I talked to the giunsmith, Sam Hatfield. Young guy.. served in the army and was a gunsmith in the Army too.. 1911's are his specialty. I asked if he was a VCDL member and if he monitored these boards.. "No" to both but he had "friends" that were members of both. I offered him a small stack of Ed's Open Carry Cards and as he read them he was taken aback by the line "OC in a vehicle is ok". He said "that one right there will get you arrested!"

I said that I think he was misinformed as I said we (all you guys on OC and me) do this all the time every day and we don't get arrested (except for Danbus). And he said that sooner or later you will get arrested for OC in a car.

I said.. ok.. we will have to agree to disagree on this point and continue to be friends and gun advocates. He is also a firearms instructor and teaches classes for chp permits. I wonder if anyone here has ever taken his class and knows if he discourages OC all the time.

Anyway.. I found it interesting and thought you might as well.

Ed

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
OC in your car Manassas, VA and you will get arrested.. sooner or later..

The other day I decided to drop into Hatfield's Gunsmithing in Manassas to have my old Millet Combat sites (from my Marine Corps days) removed from my 10mm Delta Elite and have Trijicon Night sites put on instead.

I talked to the giunsmith, Sam Hatfield. Young guy.. served in the army and was a gunsmith in the Army too.. 1911's are his specialty. I asked if he was a VCDL member and if he monitored these boards.. "No" to both but he had "friends" that were members of both. I offered him a small stack of Ed's Open Carry Cards and as he read them he was taken aback by the line "OC in a vehicle is ok". He said "that one right there will get you arrested!"

I said that I think he was misinformed as I said we (all you guys on OC and me) do this all the time every day and we don't get arrested (except for Danbus). And he said that sooner or later you will get arrested for OC in a car.

I said.. ok.. we will have to agree to disagree on this point and continue to be friends and gun advocates. He is also a firearms instructor and teaches classes for chp permits. I wonder if anyone here has ever taken his class and knows if he discourages OC all the time.

Anyway.. I found it interesting and thought you might as well.

Ed
We're you OCing? I guess letting go of long held beliefs in the face of facts is something that even gun advocates can have a problem with. To me when I find I've been wrong about something that allows me more freedom I tend to jump at it :^). Which could also be a problem I suppose.

longwatch

imported post

Well all I see is that he believes one form of OC is illegal, not that OC is wrong. There is a difference. Just goes to show that we still have work to do to inform folks about our OC right. I wish I could keep track of statistics regarding how many of my customers think OC is illegal or that they wouldn't exercise it out of fear. Because it really is a lot of folks.

Marco

imported post

Maybe I missed something, nothing in your post suggest that this person is a Gun Advocate.
The fact that he works in the industry doesn't mean he supports our rights, he is just making a living.

IMHO, people who work in the industry should be are strongest supporters, OC, CC, FA etc..

Without us they would be on the unemployment line or in another line of work.

IMHO, paying memberships dues makes you a sponsor (major or minor) but not an advocate.

From my point of view he is just another person expressing a opinion and stating it as fact.

Maybe he's related to the alleged Retired Marine who called the police on the Tony's 7?:banghead:

Rant off
[line]

Did you invite him to attend the VCDL meeting this month 1/22 in NoVA?
[line]
Might consider sending him an email regarding the Tony's incident ordirect him to our recent lobby day activities.
Videos of people OC'ing at the State Capitolshould enlighten him.
[line]

ed

Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Maybe I missed something, nothing in your post suggest that this person is a Gun Advocate.
The fact that he works in the industry doesn't mean he supports our rights, he is just making a living.

IMHO, people who work in the industry should be are strongest supporters, OC, CC, FA etc..

IMHO, paying memberships dues makes you a sponsor (major or minor) but not an advocate.

From my point of view he is just another person expressing a opinion and stating it as fact.
+1 to all of the above.. Especially since he teaches OTHERS.

hsmith

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
ed wrote:
He is also a firearms instructor and teaches classes for chp permits.

oh great....more bad info being relayed to the uninformed.
I wonder if he is another "concealed means concealed" to students when going into restaurants :banghead:

GWRedDragon

imported post

My CHP instructor also strongly discouraged OC. He said something along the lines of "it's technically legal, maybe, but in practice if you ever do it you will be arrested and have to sort things out at the jail."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
My CHP instructor also strongly discouraged OC. He said something along the lines of "it's technically legal, maybe, but in practice if you ever do it you will be arrested and have to sort things out at the jail."
Like where to spend the $10-15K additional income?

razor_baghdad

imported post

10-15k is a low estimate and a pre-trial settlement IMHO.

When we get to the 6 figure stuff, the untrained LEO's will have a decision to make.

Again, I'm not anti-LEO, I just want the Va public to know their rights.

Please do not take this as an anti-Police rant. If this thread goes that way, I apologize in advance. If it came to a situation on the street and an LEO was in trouble, the bad guys would eat a double-tap and we'll figure out the who-what-where later.

I don't OC looking for a settlement, I OC because I'm proud of my rights and wish to extend them to all who are unaware of their right to protect themselves.

:lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

razor_baghdad wrote:
SNIP I don't OC looking for a settlement, I OC because I'm proud of my rights and wish to extend them to all who are unaware of their right to protect themselves.

:lol:

Did you catch the wording in one of the other threads? Nice twist on the anti-s spin.

"[Carrying a gun to exercize]theirrightto be safe."

I'm gonna use this one. Nice presumption. Steals thepremise back--where it belonged all along.

nova

imported post

ed wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

I bet he calls it a weapon too! :lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

nova wrote:
ed wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

Well, what do you call it?

nova

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
nova wrote:
ed wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

Well, what do you call it?
Any and all of the accepted terms. I was just having some fun since apparently NRA instructors are told not to use the "w" word in their classes because they feel it is an "offensive" word (in the sense it is not defensive)

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Just because you are arrested does not make it illegal. LEOs can make mistakes, Starbucks incident anyone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Oh, I see. As far as I'm concerned, unless it's a staple gun or a caulk gun it's a weapon. Sounds very NRA-ish, though.

I wonder if they say, "Don't call it a weapon." Or if they recommend calling it something else.

I've met plenty of people who confuse the latter with the former, especially in relaying the information. Yet, there is a world of difference. The latter is more a suggestion to take advantage of connotationswords have.