• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The door bell rings at midnight.. what next?

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well last night we had a little disturbance, my sister who is 21 and used tolive between our house and her boyfriends did something to bring the police to our house. The whole family was sleeping besides my mom who got off an hour earlier from work, the police came a little after midnight and rang the doorbell.I was sleeping and didn't notice my dog bark, but my mom went down to check it out. When my mom went downstairs she saw two men dressed in black and thought they could be robbers so she ran back of stairs, then one of the officers finally anounced they were police. And then she talked to them. We have had someone break into our house before. I'm just curious but what woulda happened if I answered the door with my gun at my side?? there was a home invasion in the summer right in Oak Creek whos to know who the hell is at the door dressed in all black.

Ben

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hard to say bud. I my opinion you are well within your rights to do so. But then look what happened to Brad K. He was on his own property as well. I would suggest gun in hand, concealed by the door and shirtless. If it turns out like that night and there are cops at the door, tell them to hang on so you can get dressed toss a shirt on and throw the gun in a drawer. Just my 2 cents but I'm no lawyer.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Speaking through a closed door sounds like a good idea to me.

"Who is there? I am armed with a shotgun that is pointed at the door. Go away!"

Is this no less disturbing the peace? If they have business that must be conducted in the dark then the citizen must be given reason to trust them in the dark. Remember Ryan Frederick.

Is this no less trespass? Let them speak to your attorney.

Cobbersmom

imported post

Wow. Not fun at any time of the day. First, I would have the gun in my hand and not let on that I was up and peek out a window to see who was out there. Seeing strangers dressed in black, I'd then call 911 and report what I saw and NOT go to the door. (I'd also turn my scanner on). This is all assuming they were not trying to force their way in. If that was the case, then I'd also take cover and try to get control of the dogs that would be going nuts in the house and stay on the phone with the dispatcher relating everything that was happening (BTDT see next paragraph). Unlike your mom, even if the strangers dressed in black identified themselves as police, I still would not open the door (not sure if she did). I'd get confirmation from the cop shop that there were officers at my door, then put the gun away and answer it.

A couple years ago, an ex-friend (dating, not boyfriend) who turned out to have psychological problems shows up at my house banging on the doors and windows in the middle of the night. Because of his behavior, I had ended the friendship. Knowing he carried weapons illegally (switchblade and CC) and did drugs, I grabbed my shotgun and called 911 and placed myself in a safe area. The dogs surprised me by growling and hanging around my side, even the lab who loves everyone!

Even tho the northwoods is a relatively safer area to live, if a stranger comes to my door I have a gun with me which they don't know about. I don't unlock the door until I'm comfortable. If it's the JW's, I just don't answer at all.....

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

It's not uncommon for me to answer the door while armed. Usually it is concealed, but not always. Pizza delivery, UPS, trick or treaters, unknown bell ringer-- doesn't matter who they are or who they appear to be. If it's the police, or someone claiming to be the police, just tuck in out of sight. If I have no holster on, I put it in my back pocket. Considering it's more unusual for your doorbell to ring at midnight, it's prudent to be armed!

1FASTC4

imported post

Cobbersmom, I own property in Arbor Vitae and family property on White Sand Lake in LDF. I have a question or two regarding OC up there but don't want to hijack the thread any further. May I PM you?

Steve

opusd2

imported post

Hey just not far from you, Cobbersmom, is my dad's land near Wittenberg, and I agree that you always carry. On his property it's a damn good idea. It's out in the sticks just off a tiny back road and there have been problems in the past. I lived out there for a while during my divorce and learned quite a bit about the area. Great for deer hunting though.

And I will routinely target shoot in the middle of the night when up there, just because it IS in the middle of nowhere and I can practice low light situations. But is ANYONE came to the door dressed all in black, I would certainly be leery of any intentions they had whether LEO or not. Plus I never open the door when answering it, I would always look out and open the window for identification and stand to the side.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

opusd2 wrote:
But is ANYONE came to the door dressed all in black, I would certainly be leery of any intentions they had whether LEO or not.  Plus I never open the door when answering it, I would always look out and open the window for identification and stand to the side.
Besides, "real" police (as in, those actually employed by the state) would bash down the door and "deploy" a flashbang followed by at least 17 rounds into any person armed with a gun (holstered, of course) or similar holdable object (like a book) long before you could even react to their presence.

Cobbersmom

imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
Cobbersmom, I own property in Arbor Vitae and family property on White Sand Lake in LDF. I have a question or two regarding OC up there but don't want to hijack the thread any further. May I PM you?
Steve
Small world. Yes, PM me. I'll even bet we have talked or met. I'll tell you about that in the PM. You related to Clyde and Shirley?

Cobbersmom

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
Hey just not far from you, Cobbersmom, is my dad's land near Wittenberg, and I agree that you always carry. On his property it's a damn good idea. It's out in the sticks just off a tiny back road and there have been problems in the past.
Some people don't understand about the carrying the gun thing. Yes, things are much better up here and out of the big city. Yes, there are a lot less loonies running around BUT that's not to say there isn't any. I had a good/bad conversation today with a county deputy which was very enlightening. I just wanted to get his feel on open carry, trying to keep the conversation light. Eventually he accused me of living in fear, I don't live in fear, I take responsibility for my safety. He said, unless someone is out in the woods for sport hunting, no one needs to carry a gun for any reason. He asked my why I want to. I said because I can, because its my right and for personal protection.He actually said he didn't care about the "rights" issue. He bluntly told me that if I'm walking down the street open carrying, he WILL see me as a threat, take me down, put my face in the snowbank and disarm me. There was a lot more to the conversation. I am now making notes after each conversation with a cop regarding this issue. As of yesterday, I bought a digital recorder to carry. And fortunately my boss was in the room next to the hallway we were talking in. She was as angry as I was after he left.

I'm not afraid where I live, and I have no fear venturing out into the woods alone with or without a gun. But unless I'm expecting you to come to my house, I'll either not answer the door (coz I'm in my pj's and my hair looks bad <g>) or take precautions if I choose to answer. If I don't know youyou're not welcome. The northwoods is a big place and budgets are tight. I've had a scanner for years and hear how long response times can be when its the wee hours of the night. If I sound like a harda$$, I'm really not. Over the years I've learned I can only depend on myself for not only my safety but my health and well being.I don't take professionals at their word while most sheep take it as gospel. Their 'knowledge and authority' goes as far as I can research and decide what's best for me. I always try to size up a situation before approaching whatever is going on. A few years ago on a summer night (BG {Before Guns}), someone comes up to my lakeside patio door and in a foreign accent asks for help. Fortunately I have a number of big dogs that scare people. I told them to go to the back door, I quickly locked the patio and got to the back door before they were there and locked the screen door. Had the phone in my hand and talked to them thru the screeen. After discussion it turns out they were foreign workers herefor the summer. We get alot of that. I made some calls, the kid went back to his broken car on the road and got his girlfriend. Eventually I even gave them a ride to their apartment. Could have been stupid but like I said earlier, we don't get a lot of loonies up here. This time is was just kids with car trouble in a foreign to them, country.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
opusd2 wrote:
Hey just not far from you, Cobbersmom, is my dad's land near Wittenberg, and I agree that you always carry. On his property it's a damn good idea. It's out in the sticks just off a tiny back road and there have been problems in the past.
Some people don't understand about the carrying the gun thing. Yes, things are much better up here and out of the big city. Yes, there are a lot less loonies running around BUT that's not to say there isn't any. I had a good/bad conversation today with a county deputy which was very enlightening. I just wanted to get his feel on open carry, trying to keep the conversation light. Eventually he accused me of living in fear, I don't live in fear, I take responsibility for my safety. He said, unless someone is out in the woods for sport hunting, no one needs to carry a gun for any reason. He asked my why I want to. I said because I can, because its my right and for personal protection.He actually said he didn't care about the "rights" issue. He bluntly told me that if I'm walking down the street open carrying, he WILL see me as a threat, take me down, put my face in the snowbank and disarm me. There was a lot more to the conversation. I am now making notes after each conversation with a cop regarding this issue. As of yesterday, I bought a digital recorder to carry. And fortunately my boss was in the room next to the hallway we were talking in. She was as angry as I was after he left.

I'm not afraid where I live, and I have no fear venturing out into the woods alone with or without a gun. But unless I'm expecting you to come to my house, I'll either not answer the door (coz I'm in my pj's and my hair looks bad <g>;) or take precautions if I choose to answer. If I don't know youyou're not welcome. The northwoods is a big place and budgets are tight. I've had a scanner for years and hear how long response times can be when its the wee hours of the night. If I sound like a harda$$, I'm really not. Over the years I've learned I can only depend on myself for not only my safety but my health and well being.I don't take professionals at their word while most sheep take it as gospel. Their 'knowledge and authority' goes as far as I can research and decide what's best for me. I always try to size up a situation before approaching whatever is going on. A few years ago on a summer night (BG {Before Guns}), someone comes up to my lakeside patio door and in a foreign accent asks for help. Fortunately I have a number of big dogs that scare people. I told them to go to the back door, I quickly locked the patio and got to the back door before they were there and locked the screen door. Had the phone in my hand and talked to them thru the screeen. After discussion it turns out they were foreign workers herefor the summer. We get alot of that. I made some calls, the kid went back to his broken car on the road and got his girlfriend. Eventually I even gave them a ride to their apartment. Could have been stupid but like I said earlier, we don't get a lot of loonies up here. This time is was just kids with car trouble in a foreign to them, country.

Please state that officers name!! We live and work in the lakeland area, and Ineed to know who this person is. I will make a formal complaint to his superiors and say I overheard the conversation and I am very upset about his eagerness and willingness to balatantly violate my rights.

Did you read this weeks lakeland times??? Ya still feel the same way about Moore?

I think he is doing a great service to those of us that wish to not be harrassed and wrongfully arrested for exercising our rights.

1FASTC4

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Cobbersmom wrote:
opusd2 wrote:

Please state that officers name!! We live and work in the lakeland area, and Ineed to know who this person is. I will make a formal complaint to his superiors and say I overheard the conversation and I am very upset about his eagerness and willingness to balatantly violate my rights.
Your heart is in the right place but lying about overhearing a conversation probably isn't a good idea.

opusd2

imported post

I know that Shawano County got rid of Deputy "Fife" so it wasn't him, although it sounds like his MO. But at least he was good for laughs...

I guess the area around Wittenberg got your share of loonies, then again I feel at home there so I guess that can't say much for me. But I do know a lot of people around that region and I am not alone in the way I live. And a person should take more reliance in the way they take care of themselves as opposed to waiting for professionals to take care of you. Oh they will, in the way they see fit for you in your station.

There's nothing wrong in being a little leery of people you don't know. It's not like 20-30 years ago when a person could keep their doors unlocked when gone or sleeping. You gotta keep yourself safe. And I keep a scanner because I don't sleep at night very well. It's almost a joke finding out how long it takes. Granted they have to cover a lot of ground, but unless you are important in town you aren't first on the list.

Now I have to go take care of my reason to protect those I love, my boy just got up.

Cobbersmom

imported post

Nutczak wrote:

Did you read this weeks lakeland times??? Ya still feel the same way about Moore?

I am approaching officers and eliciting conversation on open carry. So far they have all been negative but I will not name them or even the jurisdicition. I'm keeping notes of each converation and if there were witnesses. I plan to keep talking to more of them as time goes on. I have my way of doing things that I'm sure not all would do the same. But I am content with it.

Yes I read the Lakeland Times, liked the article but I still feel the same way. I called the LT twice this week. First I just left a message for him to call regarding the article with no response.The second message related yesterdays conversation and also about a cop that, last week, told me to conceal carry. I get the feeling that he just wants to stir things up and drop it. Why wouldn't he return my call? The secretary thought he would be highly interested in someone who's actually getting out there and talking with the cops about this.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
I am approaching officers and eliciting conversation on open carry. So far they have all been negative...
"Negative" in what manner? They simply don't approve? Or do they say they would or could take some official action in response to it? Something else?

If it's the first, then who cares? Everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

If it's the second, then they have a problem. Emphasis on "they."