• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Southern regional police (york county)

XD40coyote

imported post

It's the same as when I asked the off duty cop from the same PD about what his dept knows about OC and I got a "yes we know it's legal", but I also got a barrage of BS of how he is against OC.

I was also wanting to contact the local conservation officer about CC while hunting/trapping, using a FL lisc, and on OC a semi auto while hunting/trapping. Yes I know he may not know the law, but he ( and deputies) is the one who will be interpreting it. If I ask him about it, I can possibly get him to actually research it, then he will know for sure the regs and not harrass or detain me over his opinions.

XD40coyote

imported post

It's the same as when I asked the off duty cop from the same PD about what his dept knows about OC and I got a "yes we know it's legal", but I also got a barrage of BS of how he is against OC.

I was also wanting to contact the local conservation officer about CC while hunting/trapping, using a FL lisc, and on OC a semi auto while hunting/trapping. Yes I know he may not know the law, but he ( and deputies) is the one who will be interpreting it. If I ask him about it, I can possibly get him to actually research it, then he will know for sure the regs and not harrass or detain me over his opinions.

bassmaster17327

imported post

The game commision changed the law about two years ago to allow people with cwp to carry while hunting or legally spotlighting.I am unsure of oc

XD40coyote

imported post

Mike M.

imported post

Knowing several dispatchers in my area, and also one myself to a local police department, you can only give out to responding units what it given to you. There are more times than I can count, where your caller will be "flustered" and give you the "Just get the Police here now!!!" and hang up.

I dont believe it would be smart to have a dispatcher tell a caller "open carry is legal". Just for the simple fact that what the caller tells you might not be what is actually happening. People who call 911 also often stretch, sometimes to a very long extent, what is happening. It very well could be someone walking down the street for an evening walk, having a holstered weapon, OC, and your caller might not be gun-friendly, and tell you something off the wall like "The guy is waving the gun around". Granted, dispatchers should have the training to gather that pertinent information and try and ask as many questions as possible to get a good, clear picture as to what's going on, and relay it to responding officers so they are best prepared to handle the incident upon arrival.

Also something to consider is that, at least in my area, all local police departments are dispatcher by a county 911 center. Only 2 in my county are dispatcher by the department themselves, and I work for one of them. You try to get the most out of someone, however it doesnt always work that way, and upon a call back, they dont want to tell you anything else, for whatever reason(they didnt clearly see and dont want to admit it, they dont like it and want to embelish it to have something done about it, etc). There are alot of training classes out there for dispatchers, pertaining to Law Enforcement Dispatch, Advanced Law Enforcement Dispatch, Active Shooter Response for the Dispatcher, Etc. I have recently completed an EXCELLENT class on Active Shooters, that was taught by a LT. from Boston. One of the best classes I ever took.

So its a tough position, but Ill agree that anyone that either is a call taker or dispatcher for Law Enforcement, should have some knowledge of how things work pertaining to gun laws. Just my .02.....

Mike

XD40coyote

imported post

Still around bassmaster? I want to OC in this area, but can't bring myself to do it alone. I even got a serpa level 2 holster, which I like as my shirt drapes better than with a leather pancake holster. I OC at home.

I am so wussy that I could have OC'd at Paesanos then OC'd walking in the dark while waiting for my order. Was with a friend at the time, but he won't OC unless I will LOL, plus he is major leery after I told him about Dan Moore ( my friend is a black guy).

I guess its ok for women to be all wussy though... ( in contrast to Meleanie Hain, who calls herself "shefearsnothing", I should be called " shefearseverydangedthing")

ddog101775

imported post

well,i don't open carry (no sidearm and no ltcf for carry in vehicles), but it'd benice tohang out with like-minded individuals in this areasome time. also, iwork at the rutter's in new freedom, so next time i see my boss i'll check with her to see if open carry is allowed there. if you ever want to drop in while open carrying, i can'tsay it's allowed, but i work second shift most weekends, so if i'm there i'll make sure no cops are called by coworkers;).i know for sure that employees aren't allowed to be armed, but i'll have to check what the rulesare forcustomers.

Jared

imported post

Mike wrote:
bassmaster17327 wrote:
I emailed the southern regional police chief and acted dumb to see what he said, i asked if open carry was legal?
Why do folks keep doing this? The police are not here to give legal advice.

Correct Mike, they are not here to give legal advice; however, they are not here to lie to you by telling you that something is illegal and/or adverse action will be taken against you when what you are doing is 100% legal.

Some people do this to see what caliber of LEO's are in their locality. I've pushed this question around to some local LEO's in Michigan when we have our sit downs, all were aware that open carry was legal, but none were aware that you could open carry with a CPL just about anywhere, including most places a CPL holder can not CCW.

david.ross

imported post

I agree with mike. Personally they should be saying, "I can't give you legal advice." Now, if you rephrase your question, "Are you aware of any laws of XXXXXXXX?" or "Do your officers realize OC is legal and if not would you please correct them?"

I should also note the yearly MPOETC will cover open carry, of which all municipal officers are required to go each year.

XD40coyote

imported post

ddog101775 wrote:
well,i don't open carry (no sidearm and no ltcf for carry in vehicles), but it'd benice tohang out with like-minded individuals in this areasome time. also, iwork at the rutter's in new freedom, so next time i see my boss i'll check with her to see if open carry is allowed there. if you ever want to drop in while open carrying, i can'tsay it's allowed, but i work second shift most weekends, so if i'm there i'll make sure no cops are called by coworkers;).i know for sure that employees aren't allowed to be armed, but i'll have to check what the rulesare forcustomers.

I was CCing there a week and a half ago or so and bought 3 cans of whipped cream. LOL

I also like that you have a couple gun mags on the magazine rack.

If you want to hang out when you are off work, let me know. My issue is I can't OC by myself or with people who don't encourage it. I need to get worked into...ahhh Insane Roo would understand... Coyote mode...

My problem is I am still so "marylandized" or something that OC is like me taking my shirt off and going bare chested, which for women isn't good to do in public! LOL ( though you guys might love it, but the cops and Morality Squad would NOT like it)

Ido OC a ton in my sleep via dreams LOL, seems every day I am dreaming I am in PA, WV or VA somewhere and OCing and nobody gives a diddle about it. Todays gem was I was in Glen Rock or something and this huge storm was coming in fast and everyone is going on about the river is gonna flood everything, so myself and some lady from another forum I go to ( who I only know by her e-personality LOL) go up to the fire cheif's house up on a hill. At one point I am running around the town and getting wet, but I know my XD can handle it LOL.

ddog101775

imported post

bassmaster17327 wrote:
I open carry in the shrewsbury rutters, never had any problems

well i talked to my boss (the store manager of the new freedom rutter's) and she "discourages" it. her thing is: gun+convenience store=someone thinks robbery and freaks out. i can somewhat understand that.

so, i can't invite you to drop by OCing while i'm working, but if you do, i'll probably give ya a nod and a smile (if i have time, i might even give you a "thanks" and shake your hand). btw, if i'm there,i work second shift, and i'm the only male that currently works second shift, so you should know which one i am (even if you're not sure it's me).

XD40coyote

imported post

You have to come on by this way if you want a date ya silly roo!

I don't know if bassmaster is even hitched or not, but in any event I am just a gal needing an OC pal. Doesn't mean it's a date! Not too many women OC compared to men, so finding a woman to OC with may be quite a bit harder. Sure I could place an ad like this " wanted- 36 yr old law abiding woman looking forfellow law abiding femaleexcersize partner, for walking on rail trail in SYC, must like guns- ALOT"...

bassmaster17327

imported post

people always assume that if a guy asks a girl to do somthing he wants more than friends, and as far as walking and other stuff me and my girlfriend do alot of hiking so you are always welcome to join in that to

XD40coyote

imported post

bassmaster17327 wrote:
people always assume that if a guy asks a girl to do somthing he wants more than friends, and as far as walking and other stuff me and my girlfriend do alot of hiking so you are always welcome to join in that to

Let me know when/ where or if you want to meet in New Freedom at the trail or whatever. I am pretty much available most any day in the afternoon asI am self employed.

As to the Rutters in New Freedom, I might OC to get gas, but I pay at the pump. But if I need whipped cream on a weekend day after 3pm, hey I might at least say hi CCing. I may be a firebrand of a woman in other ways, but this OC thing is like me taking my clothes off or something. I could always dress as a cowgirl on Halloween and wear my .22 revolver LOL. No one would care then, right?

XD40coyote

imported post

ddog101775 wrote:
bassmaster17327 wrote:
I open carry in the shrewsbury rutters, never had any problems

well i talked to my boss (the store manager of the new freedom rutter's) and she "discourages" it. her thing is: gun+convenience store=someone thinks robbery and freaks out. i can somewhat understand that.

so, i can't invite you to drop by OCing while i'm working, but if you do, i'll probably give ya a nod and a smile (if i have time, i might even give you a "thanks" and shake your hand). btw, if i'm there,i work second shift, and i'm the only male that currently works second shift, so you should know which one i am (even if you're not sure it's me).
Hey was nice meeting you today, but your female coworker sure got the bugged out eyes when you told her I was a "gun rights activist" LOL! And I was CCing. Would she have crapped her pants if I was OCing? LOL