• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4 Hand Guns Stolen From Cars Last Month In Meth-ford / Medford OR

SteveInAshand

imported post

Don't feed the monkeys, lions or any of the animals in the low live zoo that we live in. with weapons by leaving them in your car.

I can bet that every nice clean pickup truck with macho off road tires is owned by a gun owner RIGHT ?, "and" those same trucks have a pistol stashed inside it some were, perhaps even a rifle behind the backrest.

What makes you think the lowlifes don't know that too ?

Bumper Stickers: Your "NRA" sticker in the back window of your truck or car also says "Break into me I have guns inside" even if you don't , it also tells the home invasion crook to case your house and break in if possible when you are gone because he walked by and saw the NRA gun type bumper sticker in the driveway.

Also your "Harley" sticker on your truck says "I have a Harley in my garage,when I am not home its Yours for the taking".

I even saw a guy post here on this forum some beautiful pictures of his high end car and trunk FULL of high end weapons as if his trunk is a portable gun safe., its NOT.

Am I jealous HELL YES I am lol, "but" Your fancy car is also a target so its a double bonus for the car theif.

So what is the remedy, driving a peace of junk and hiding like a scared sheep, HELL NO, not at all.

I am all for your having a nice & sharp high end car and a big fancy pick up truck with all the goodies attached, but I am also all for not "advertizing" what you also own besides the fancy vehicle.

Just put yourself into the small narrow minded of a 25 year old criminal mutt, what do they like, what attracts there attention and what looks interesting to them.

Just like when you walk in the woods hunting without SA & stealth every predator knows you are there, your fancy car or truck has been noticed by every low life in the neighborhood, and even high end neihborhoods have rich juvinlile deliquents who like to do break in's for the anti social thrill of it, so no neghborhood is immune.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

It is good to post a link to stories like the one suggested in this title.

Agree with the no "advertising" theme expressed. I think that in part is why VCDL license plate idea did not make it.

Yata hey

SteveInAshand

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
It is good to post a link to stories like the one suggested in this title.

Agree with the no "advertising" theme expressed. I think that in part is why VCDL license plate idea did not make it.

Yata hey
This is from my local early morning hybrid Libertarian-Conservative radio talk show host discussion with a local LEO frequent guest.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I understand lowering risk of theft and prevention of arming thugs, I think this type of sentiment runs counter to the theory behind open carrying. The phrase "it pays to advertise" comes to mind. Reducing all risk from life might be safer but it would become rather pointless.

How about you may decide to drive your fancy car, replete with stickers of the type mentioned, anywhere you please to drive.

Criminals shouldn't dictate your life. Neither should police, or the PTA, or NATO, or aliens.

I prefer to take those actions I wish after considering their consequences and determining that the benefits outweigh the risks.

For instance, advertising that someone driving a decent car in blue-zone Seattle might still value the 2A has worth to me beyond the risk that it may attract criminals.

I certainly avoid leaving guns in an unoccupied vehicle. If I felt the need to do that I would increase the vehicle's security through enhanced alarms, a Lowjack system, bolted in gun safe, etc.

But in the end I'm no more responsible for a criminal's decision to steal than an attractive women is begging to be assaulted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
But in the end I'm no more responsible for a criminal's decision to steal than an attractive women is begging to be assaulted.
Both can be rendered less accessible and much more expensive.

Yata hey

SteveInAshand

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
While I understand lowering risk of theft and prevention of arming thugs, I think this type of sentiment runs counter to the theory behind open carrying. The phrase "it pays to advertise" comes to mind. Reducing all risk from life might be safer but it would become rather pointless.

How about you may decide to drive your fancy car, replete with stickers of the type mentioned, anywhere you please to drive.

Criminals shouldn't dictate your life. Neither should police, or the PTA, or NATO, or aliens.

I prefer to take those actions I wish after considering their consequences and determining that the benefits outweigh the risks.

For instance, advertising that someone driving a decent car in blue-zone Seattle might still value the 2A has worth to me beyond the risk that it may attract criminals.

I certainly avoid leaving guns in an unoccupied vehicle. If I felt the need to do that I would increase the vehicle's security through enhanced alarms, a Lowjack system, bolted in gun safe, etc.

I think we are agreement that I / You can and will drive what ever the hell we want to drive, its the American Free way.

I am just saying I don't think its a good idea to temp the scum to rip you off, or to give guns away by leaving them in a vehicle while your not around it like at the movies .

Its thee old hooker who get raped argument, the hooker does not deserve to be raped but she was walking around in denial in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time so she was tempting the rapist to rape her.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Who said hooker, who said bad neighborhood?

I'm just not a fan of the "Don't risk showing you have guns or bad things might happen." argument.

It would seem to preclude open carry among other things.

Don't we want people to realize their nice, friendly, normal neighbors are armed?

SteveInAshand

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Who said hooker, who said bad neighborhood?

I'm just not a fan of the "Don't risk showing you have guns or bad things might happen." argument.

It would seem to preclude open carry among other things.

Don't we want people to realize their nice, friendly, normal neighbors are armed?
No my comments do not preclude OC. in there essence.

Isa-kwa how ever its spelled ( I was there 30 years ago ) its beautiful from what I remember is "small town USA" , but no matter what town you live in you should balance advertising cowboy vs discrete Indian.

PS feel like I am in a noisy bar, this thread is going no were fast

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I'll advertise on my hip not on my vehicle - thank you.

Sometimes IMO CC is the better option - I recognize that; however in Va. the law does not allow me that option when I carry in an establishment that has a license for on premises consumption of alcohol. I have but one option legally - I must OC!

I never drink alcohol when carrying - never!

Yata hey

FMCDH

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Sometimes IMO CC is the better option - I recognize that; however in Va. the law does not allow me that option when I carry in an establishment that has a license for on premises consumption of alcohol. I have but one option legally - I must OC!

I never drink alcohol when carrying - never!

Yata hey
+1

It all comes down to situational awareness and choosing those advantageous times to "advertise" what you hold sacred. When you fly a "flag" in all weather that you know someone out there is willing to commit a crime to get, don't be to shocked if sooner or later it gets ripped off.

If you really MUST advertise on a vehicle, I would suggest putting the bumper sticker on a magnetic backing and take it off when not in use or when you are places that its just not a good idea to "fly that flag". Know what I mean?

Alexcabbie

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SteveInAshand wrote:
Libertarian-Conservative
Oxymoron - or 'conservative' is meaningless.
Au Contraire, Mon frere. TRUE conservatism IS libertarianism, and TRUE libertarianism Is conservatism.

The prob is that the word "conservative" has been co-opted by those who are actually reactionaries; while "libertarian" has been co-opted by those who are in reality libertines.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

I never drink alcohol when carrying - never! Yata hey
Things have gotten so damned looney that I just make sure my weapon is well-concealed and just go in and out CC. If the situation arises that I have to use the weapon then I'll jusrt take the damn lumps. My carry pieces are woth $500+ and will probably be confiscated and destroyed if I have to use them in a prohibited area. Since I won't pulling my weapon out unless my life is in danger I consider that a pretty fair trade-off. CCW in an alcohol estyablishment is a crappy little misdemeanor in Va, so bottom line if I find it necessary to carry conceaked I will, wherever and whenever; the operative word being concealed. VERY WELL concealed.