• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Monroe Municipal Code

Izzle

imported post

I got an email a few days ago from the parks director for Monroe saying they would look into the municipal codes concerning firearms and parks. Today I got this second email from him:

Mr. ,

I want to let you know that we will take action to make the necessary changes to the code to be consistent with State law.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Mike

FMCDH

imported post

Confirmed.
http://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Monroe/

http://www.ci.monroe.wa.us/info/ordinances/2009_ords/ord2009003.pdf?RecID=398

ORDINANCE NO. 003/2009
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF MONROE, WASHINGTON,
AMENDING MONROE MUNICIPAL CODE (MMC) SECTION
9.28.070 IN ORDER TO REMOVE RESTRICITIONS ON CARRYING
FIREARMS IN A CITY PARK.

WHEREAS, RCW 9.41.290 “fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms
regulation;”

WHEREAS, RCW 9.41.300 permits municipalities to regulate the possession of firearms only in stadiums and convention centers;

WHEREAS, Washington State Attorney General Opinion No.8 (2008) concludes that
RCW 9.41.290 preempts a city’s authority to enact local laws prohibiting possession of firearms on city property; and

NOW, THEREFORE, THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF MONROE,
WASHINGTON, DO ORDAIN AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1.
MMC 9.28.070 is hereby amended to provide as follows:

It is unlawful to shoot, fire, or explode any firearm, fireworks, firecracker, torpedo,
model rockets, model motorized aircraft or explosive of any kind or to shoot or fire any air gun, bows and arrows, B.B. gun, or use any slingshot in any park, except as authorized pursuant to Chapter 5.28 or 9.18 MMC.

Section 2.
Severability.

If any section, sentence, clause or phrase of this ordinance
should be held to be invalid or unconstitutional by a court of competent jurisdiction, such invalidity or unconstitutionality shall not affect the validity or constitutionality of any other section, sentence, clause or phrase of this ordinance.

Section 3.
Effective Date.

This ordinance shall be in full force and effect five (5) days
from and after its passage and approval and publication as required by law.
PASSED by the City Council and APPROVED by the Mayor of the City of Monroe, at a
regular meeting held this 17th day of February 2009.

Daath 474

imported post

This is exactly how things went down in East Wenatchee for me. I emailed the park director and chairman of the board and after about a week or two they changed the park rules to reflect the law. I've sent numerous letters to the city council to try to change the municipal code, but to no avail. Nobody writes back, nobody cares. I'll be calling them this week and if I get the run around again, I'll be visiting them personally to discuss the matter because this is ridiculous.