• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in LaCrosse WI

KiLLaDaTa

imported post

I'm in Lacrosse for a few days and want to open carry i was wondering if anyone has done it and where? i have been driving around and there are schools it seems like every few blocks in either direction so itlooks like OC'ing would be a pain

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

KiLLaDaTa wrote:
I'm in Lacrosse for a few days and want to open carry i was wondering if anyone has done it and where? i have been driving around and there are schools it seems like every few blocks in either direction so itlooks like OC'ing would be a pain
If you're on private property it doesn't matter if a school is across the street! A thousand feet is generally less than 3 standard blocks. If you avoid schools by 3 blocks you are probably going to be fine. Secondly, you have to know you're in a school zone under the law to be prosecuted. If you're unfamiliar with the area, how would you know, in the absence of seeing a school or something like a "school crossing" sign?

(I tend to check google earth to locate schools and measure the distance using the "ruler" feature.)

KiLLaDaTa

imported post

thanks i also had another question in wisconsin you have to have your firearm unloaded and magazine out while in a vehicle so if i get out of my car take the gun out of the case on the back seat of my car and then put a magazine in and put one in the pipe then holster it to open carry and someone sees me doing this is that considered brandishing or can i be parked and arm up while in the car so no one sees or is that illegal because im in a car with a loaded weapon...?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I get out of the car, turn to face it and retrieve the gun box. Lay the box on the driver's seat and open it. Get the pistol and magazine, step back and insert the magazine with the pistol aimed skyward, unlatch the slide to battery and safe it. Then with the pistol aimed into the car, drop the -1 magazine and holster the gun. Replace the round ejected when safe-ing that had been loose in the box. Draw and insert the full mag and re-holster.

It's not idiot-cop proof but complies with the legal requirements as safely as possible. I live on an 20 sq. mile Island with about 450 neighbors this time of year. I doubt anyone has ever noticed me loading and unloading at the car.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Thanks Pointlessman.

I have walked y'all through the statistics of an un-aimed discharge enough that I will not waste an effort on your ignorance.

I will ask my own questions and find my own answers, thank you very much. MYOB

ETA: Contrary assertions are inherent antitheses in the democratic dialectic and moot. Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

opusd2

imported post

During the winter on the island you could pretty much open carry a Sherman tank and get away with it. In the summertime it's best just to hide what you can if for any reason just to keep it from "walking away"...