• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it just a fairy tale...?

99vengeur

imported post

With the way things are going and the politics of the present, does it ever seem likely that Illinois will adopt any form of carry??

My wife and family are in Illinois, and I would love to move closer to them, but I don't want to give up my right to carry (open or concealed). So in all reality, what is the probability that Illinois will allow for some form of carry in the next 3-5 years?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given that something over 60% of the state's population lives in very anti-gun Chicago and its suburbs, I doubt it. Even if 100% of the rest of the state wanted it, they don't have the population to have the representation in the state legislature to get it passed. I would LOVE for it to happen, especially if they had reciprocity with MO, but I just don't see it as a viable possibility in the near future.

Tumbleweeds

imported post

Well there is always taking them to court. After all the SCOTUS knocked down D.C.'s gun laws allowing residents there to own guns. The only two things that are downsides to going to court are Time and Money.

junglebob

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
With the way things are going and the politics of the present, does it ever seem likely that Illinois will adopt any form of carry??

My wife and family are in Illinois, and I would love to move closer to them, but I don't want to give up my right to carry (open or concealed). So in all reality, what is the probability that Illinois will allow for some form of carry in the next 3-5 years?
I'd suggest you move to Indiana, Missouri, or Kentucky. Illinois carry.com has been working on getting LTC legislation for maybe 5 years now. LTC legislation never gets out of committee now that there is a democrat majority in the legislature. Cullterton is now senate president, probably as anti-self defense as Emil Jones who he replaces. We could have had LTC when republicans were in the majority and Edgar was governor, but he vetoed a LTC bill. So we need a republican majority and no RINO governor, LTC is in the Illinois Republican platform.

junglebob

imported post

David59 wrote:
That bill was in the last session. It is dead. I am sure new legislation will be introduced this spring, it has been every year for quite a while. John Birch who had the concealcarry.com website promoting concealed carry in Illinois from November 1997 til December 2006 used to call it a "rite of spring". With Cullerton senate president, I predict it will go to commitee and never see the light of day.

One thing you can do to get the legislators attention is to go to the 2009 Gun Owners Lobby Day in Springfield this year. Attendance is growing last year over 2000, the year before about 1500. Buses will be going to Springfield from around the state. Its on March 11. There is a post here about it. Illinoiscarry.com forum folks have been involved with this in recent years. It was originally an Illinois State Rifle Association event with attendance a few hundred each year. ISRA is now supporting concealed carry legislation and with the involvement of Illinoiscarry attendance has sky rocketed. I would expect attendance this year may be close to 3000. I went last year and intend on going this year. The bus trip cost about $30 as I recall.

99vengeur

imported post

Why is it that Illinois doesn't allow carry in the first place?

Article I, Section 22 of the Bill of Rights in the Illinois Consitution states that:
Code:
"Subject only to the police power, the right of the
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed."
Is there something that I have missed? I can't find any amendments that change the fact that the Illinois Constitution protects our right to keep and BEAR arms. What gives?:cuss:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=422719&query=concealed%20carry

Illinois law enforcement officials are divided over a new attempt to permit the state's residents to carry concealed handguns.

Rep. John Bradley, D-Marion, has proposed a "Family and Personal Protection Act" that would set statewide standards for issuing concealed-carry permits and would exempt permit holders from various unlawful use of weapons laws. The bill, HB0245, was referred to the rules committee after first reading last week.

Similar bills have been introduced, and shunted aside, in most recent legislative sessions. This year, though, the idea could get a boost from the Illinois Sheriff's Association.

That group's new president, Henry County Sheriff Gib Cady, a supporter of concealed-carry laws, will urge the association to endorse the idea when it holds its annual meeting at the i wireless Center in Moline in February. He said he believes a majority of Illinois' 102 county sheriffs support a concealed-carry law provided there is training and background checks.

He said statistics show crime goes down in states with concealed-carry laws.

Not everyone in law enforcement feels that way, however.

"The threat to law enforcement would be enormous with that many people out there allowed to carry guns," said Moline Police Chief Gary Francque. "I am a supporter of a person maintaining a weapon in their home and defending in their homes, but to be out running around with concealed weapons, you're asking for a huge increase in violence."

East Moline Police Chief Victor Moreno warned that a concealed carry law, besides creating the possibility that handguns carried for protection could be taken away by criminals, would alter the way police and public interact. He said it would change officers' approach to an individual because of the potential of them carrying a handgun.

"Is that positive?" Chief Moreno asked. "The contact you have with the public will be different."

Proponents, though, believe a concealed-carry law will enable citizens to protect themselves.

"We know when somebody is mugged or robbed at gunpoint, they have zero chance of resisting," said National Rifle Association spokesman Todd Vandermyde. "Now, we're leveling the playing field."

Illinois is one of two states (Wisconsin is the other) without some form of a concealed-carry handgun law.

Sheriff Cady, who's held his office since 1978, said the 2008 U.S. Supreme Court decision that overturned a District of Columbia ban on handgun ownership is fueling new attempts to approve the concealed-carry law.

"It's out there," the sheriff said of concealed-carry. "The sheriff's association always strives to represent the wishes of the people, while at the same time maintain maximum public safety for those we represent."

"We're going to make a run at it," the NRA's Mr. Vandermyde added. "We're cautiously optimistic. We wouldn't be handing permits out like movie tickets."

State Rep. Pat Verschoore, D-Milan, who says he's in favor of concealed-carry, isn't so optimistic the law will pass.

"It's going to have a tough time, I think," Rep. Verschoore said. "You've got the Chicago legislators and most of the suburbs that will probably be against it. Most Republicans will vote with the downstate Democrats (for it). I'm like Gib (Cady) in that I believe there has to be stringent guidelines to this.

"You have to take a course and have a complete and thorough background check so you don't have some former felon or a person with a mental condition (carrying a handgun)."

State Sen. Mike Jacobs, D-East Moline, also supports a concealed-carry law.

"One day, the right to carry will be something that will be at their (citizens') disposal," Sen. Jacobs said. "The way I see it is that people have to make sure, if you're going to carry, to be trained."

Sheriff Cady agreed. "One of the issues is a person who makes an application for concealed-carry must expect a lot of scrutiny," he said.

Mercer County Sheriff Tom Thompson said he supports a concealed-carry law, provided proper training is in place for gunowners.

"Our concern is to make sure people allowed to carry (handguns) are, first of all, qualified to carry it," Sheriff Thompson said. "Obviously, you don't want everybody around with concealed weapons. I think it can be (a law) if it is written properly. It can be a good thing. A lot of people feel strongly on both sides."

Laimutis Nargelenas, deputy director of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police in Springfield, said the association is opposed to concealed-carry legislation.

"We do have police chiefs, particularly in southern Illinois, that think it might be a good thing," Mr. Nargelenas said. "Most of the chiefs in the suburbs in the Chicago area are concerned with that many more people on the street carrying firearms.

"We've been looking out there as an organization at various studies. Some (studies) show it may have an affect on crime. Others, it appears it doesn't."

Henry County State's Attorney Terry Patton said he would support concealed-carry legislation if data shows it reduces crime.

"I think it ought to be studied," Mr. Patton said. "Most people, their initial reaction is if you allow conceal carry, it would turn into the wild, wild west. But if evidence from conceal states proves that's not the case, that's reason to look at it in Illinois."

Rock Island Sheriff Mike Huff has a slightly different take. Sheriff Huff said he supports concealed-carry for correctional officers, prosecutors and judges. He wants more information before making a decision on allowing the general public to carry handguns.

Rock Island County States Attorney Jeff Terronez, Rock Island Police Chief John Wright and Rep. Mike Boland, D-East Moline, did not return phone calls seeking comment on the issue.

David59

imported post

99vengeur wrote:

Article I, Section 22 of the Bill of Rights in the Illinois Consitution states that:
Code:
infringed."
Is there something that I have missed? I can't find any amendments that change the fact that the Illinois Constitution protects our right to keep and BEAR arms. What gives?:cuss:

Technicality: The State of Illinois does not infringe on the right to open carry,local governments do. :X

David59

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

David59 wrote:
99vengeur wrote:

Code:
infringed."

Technicality: The State of Illinois does not infringe on the right to open carry,local governments do. :X
Actually No. State statute prohibits carry openly or concealed within the corporate limits of any city, village or town. Localities can pass restrictions greater than the state but you can't get much stricter than a prohibition.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Unfortunately the Illinois Supreme Court has ruled that laws passed by the state legislature are an exercise of the states "police powers". I do not believe (I hope I am wrong) the Illinois Supreme Court has ever struck down any gun control law.